Thread: 74% Are Doing Multithreaded Development Now

74% Are Doing Multithreaded Development Now

Early results are in and many are surprised! Think this statistic is wrong? Add your vote to the poll. You can also join the discussions with Intel this week on developing multithreaded applications.

You can cast your own vote on this poll at http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=495894

Note that this poll is still open, so the results might have changed. At the time of this posting, over 71 percent of respondents had been doing multithreaded development for more than a year!

More...
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Re: 74% Are Doing Multithreaded Development Now

I'd vote but honestly, I don't feel like signing up and registering for yet another site just to offer my 2 cents.

I've been multithreading for about two+ years now.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
    I'd vote but honestly, I don't feel like signing up and registering for yet another site just to offer my 2 cents.

I've been multithreading for about two+ years now.
    Same, if the poll was offered here on vbf then I'd vote.

I've incorporated multithreading into quite a few apps since 2004. Using VS2003, 2005 and 2008.

I don't use VS2010 yet and probably wont for another year or two (waiting for sp1 to work out the remaining bugs).
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All Threads • Colors ComboBox • Fading & Gradient Form • MoveItemListBox/MoveItemListView • MultilineListBox • MenuButton • ToolStripCheckBox • Start with Windows

I considered registering....but I spend too much time on THIS forum.

I've been actively multithreading for a few years now.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

90% of the code I work on is written in PL/SQL.

The remaining 10% is VB6, shell scripting and some .NET technologies.
    None of it requires to be multi-threaded, or maybe it does, but we don't care enough.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Off topic:

We are working on a plan to integrate registrations across all of our sites. I'd say that a year from now, the login you use to get onto VBForums should also get you onto Codeguru.....

Timeline is actually quicker than that, but creating a single sign on for a couple dozen forums, and nearly a hundreds sites isn't as easy as one would hope

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    Off topic:

We are working on a plan to integrate registrations across all of our sites. I'd say that a year from now, the login you use to get onto VBForums should also get you onto Codeguru.....

Timeline is actually quicker than that, but creating a single sign on for a couple dozen forums, and nearly a hundreds sites isn't as easy as one would hope

Brad!
    Thanks Brad.

Off topic: If you get banned on one of the forums, does it automatically mean, you're banned on all of them
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Quote Originally Posted by abhijit View Post
    Thanks Brad.

Off topic: If you get banned on one of the forums, does it automatically mean, you're banned on all of them
    Still off topic: It's little details that make something like a single-sign on get very complex very quickly .
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    Off topic:

Brad!
    Great, there goes the rest of my free time.

I find that an interesting number. As an unscientific poll, it's probably accurate. If there was a way to make it a bit more meaningful by capturing related demographics, and a broader base, it wouldn't surprise me to find that statistic flip.

It also depends on what the intent of "multi-threaded" is. Is a simple app that spins up a BGW to load data from a database multi-threaded? Or are we talking about something closer to parallelism?

I'm just asking.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Those are good points. I would guess that the people responding to that poll are themselves biased heavily towards multithreading because I would expect them to be biased towards experienced programmers working on significant projects, as opposed to students, casual hobbyists, and infrequent users. Second, I would expect a slight bias towards people who do use multithreading to be more likely to respond, thereby skewing the result towards YES!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Second, I would expect a slight bias towards people who do use multithreading to be more likely to respond, thereby skewing the result towards YES!
    My thoughts exactly, if I didnt use multi-threading or wasnt sure what it was etc then I would doubt I would respond to the poll. Having said that, I'm not responding anyway as I cant be bothered to go through the registration process
    My free .NET Windows API library (Version 2.2 Released 12/06/2011)

Blog: cjwdev.wordpress.com
    Web: www.cjwdev.co.uk

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

i voted yes and no at the same time using multithreading

I'm glad for .NET 4.0, since it introduces Parallel FX which makes multithreading much easier.

Amen, personally, I do extremely little parallelism style multi-threading (i.e. multi-threading a loop) only because in areas where I have the advantage to set it up, it's a pain and usually not worth the tiny performance benefit I'd get. Parallel FX makes that decision moot since it makes it extremely easy to do.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein