Thread: [RESOLVED] Office 2010, x86 or x64?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Office 2010, x86 or x64?

I'm running Win7 Ultimate x64 and I just downloaded Office 2010 and Visio 2010, since I'm able to run both x86 and x64 I decided to get both (I have an MSDN Subscription). However I know there's more support for x86 when it comes to Office products, but I'm curious if it'd be worth while to install x64?

I could always go x64 with the next version of Office when the support for it is better, what do you guys think?
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

Re: Office 2010, x86 or x64?

What is the advantage of running both, do you really need to?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    What is the advantage of running both, do you really need to?
    I don't know if you can run both, I downloaded both but am asking which one should I install.
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

You've bot a 64 bit OS, so install 64 bit Office. If you need 'support' even if you can't find it, someone else is bound to have faced the same problem before, so their posts can help you.

I dont really know what kind of issues you could run into with a 64 bit version of Office, as drivers seem to be the main area that 64 bit computing can struggle, I've not really seen any issues at all with 64 bit applications themselves (not to say there aren't any, but I run a few on my Win7 x64 machine and dont have any problems). Also as it will basically share the same code base as the x86 version, any problems you have on the x64 version will likely have the exact same solution as the x86 version. The only difference as far as I know is that the 64 bit version will just be able to address more memory - in fact can anyone point out any benefits of running 64 bit software other than the program being able to access more memory?
    My free .NET Windows API library (Version 2.2 Released 12/06/2011)

Blog: cjwdev.wordpress.com
    Web: www.cjwdev.co.uk

PowerPoster

A 64-bit OS no longer can use more memory it must use more. You also effectively cut processor cache and other resources in half.

64-bit Office doesn't matter if you plink around in Word, Excel, or read a few emails. However there are VBA compatibility issues and even more serious component library compatibility issues.

There is a long list of reasons on one of the Microsoft blogs describing why VS2010 is 32-bit software.

dont suppose you have a link to the VS blog post in question? Sounds like it might make interesting reading

PowerPoster

very interesting, I didnt realise using a 64 bit architecture actually made your program use way more memory - thanks for posting the link.