Thread: VB.Net Extended Listbox with colors and picture support

Fanatic Member

VB.Net Extended Listbox with colors and picture support

Hi All,

My first CodeBank submission. Exciting. Lets hope people like it

Every now and again in the forums we see people wanting to use colors or pictures in the listbox control (or making it transparent). As a standard this is not possible without knowing how to override or create your own.

I have for a few years now used my own custom control for this purpose. So today I share it. I have modified it to work similar to the listbox by adding properties and subs such as AddItem and RemoveAtItem.

Here is some pictures of it with just a sample of what it can do, sorry for the resolution of them

list with different colors as both forecolor,backcolor and even 2 with an image (the green shapes). the control has a color set as background
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 2561
Size:  16.3 KB

Exactly the same as the last one but with a transparent backcolor for the box itself
    Name:  Capture2.JPG
Views: 2506
Size:  16.7 KB

Same again but with scroll bars!
    Name:  Capture3.JPG
Views: 2322
Size:  16.6 KB

The listbox works by inheriting the FlowLayoutPanel, I have also double buffered the control so when using images it doesn't flicker. The items are made up of label controls inserted into the panel and are just as wide. This gives us a nice index based, auto reordering list to work with. As the control is just housing other controls you can refer to them direct but i have some properties and subs for some common things below. An example of accessing it directly would be
    Code:
    flowy1.Controls(2).BackColor = Color.Red
    In the attachment is a little project thrown together with some examples of how to use the control, I will of course explain this here as well.

To add the control to your project, in your project click project->Add Existing Item, then navigate to the flowy folder and add the files: flowy.vb and flowy.Designer files, then build. This will add the control to your toolbox.

The Properties I have added are as follows:

Counts - returns the number of items in the control
    Code:
    Dim itemcount as integer
    itemcount = flowy1.Counts
    selectedText - returns/sets the text of the selected/highlighted item
    Code:
    Dim textme as String
    textme = flowy1.selectedText
    Code:
    flowy1.selectedText = "Hello World"
    selectedIndex - returns/sets the index of the selected/highlighted item
    Code:
    Dim indy as integer
    indy = flowy1.selectedIndex
    Code:
    flowy1.selectedIndex = 5
    'this will also highlight the chosen index
    items - This works two ways, when getting it returns a list of items in the control, returns as list of label so you can use it much the same as listbox.items, when setting it takes a integer for the index and changes the text of the item at that index
    Code:
    For Each iteminlist In flowy1.items
    Console.writeline(iteminlist.Text)
    Next
    Code:
    flowy1.items(5) = "Updated Text"
    RemoveItem - removes item from control by passing an object
    Code:
    'will remove all items
    For Each t In flowy1.items
    flowy1.RemoveItem(t)
    Next
    RemoveAtItem - removes item from control by passing its index
    Code:
    'removes the item at index 3
    flowy1.RemoveAtItem(3)
    AddItem - takes a string and adds it to the control, has an optional align property
    Code:
    'Adds text to the control
    flowy1.AddItem("Hello World")
    clicky - highlights the selected item in the control, no code or event raised as this is local to the control itself

ClearItems - clears all items in the list
    Code:
    flowy1.ClearItems
    You can change the Font and color of the font of the items default by changing the flowy controls values, it sets them from there. The backcolor of the items is set however at transparent, this is for when you want an image in the background of the control. The highlighted color is preset in code to be LightSteelBlue, by all means feel free to change that. The control is by no means a finished product and is easily expandable further. If you want to change each items color or backcolor or anything then just add another sub or and optional parameter to the additem sub or use the method of accessing it directly as showed up the top.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make this better let me know, I have posted the control based around what I mainly use it for which is holding text with a background image.

Hope I haven't missed anything
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bensonsearch; Mar 30th, 2014 at 02:44 AM.
    My CodeBank Submissions
    • Listbox with transparency and picture support - Click Here
    • Check for a true internet connection - Click Here
    • Open Cash drawer connected to receipt printer - Click Here
    • Custom color and size border around form - Click Here
    • Upload file to website without user logins, includes PHP - Click Here
    • List All Removable USB Storage Devices - Click Here
    • Custom On/Off Slide Control - Click Here
    • Insert multiple rows of data into one database table using parameters - Click Here
    • Trigger USB/Serial Cash Drawer - Click Here

Re: VB.Net Extended Listbox with colors and picture support

When making Codebank submissions like this I recommend you post a picture so readers can quickly get an idea of what it is you're submitting when they find the thread. Of course this recommendation only applies to certain kinds of submissions where there is actually something to see like a custom control or a GUI if its an application.

Just a suggestion
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Fanatic Member

Re: VB.Net Extended Listbox with colors and picture support

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    When making Codebank submissions like this I recommend you post a picture so readers can quickly get an idea of what it is you're submitting when they find the thread. Of course this recommendation only applies to certain kinds of submissions where there is actually something to see like a custom control or a GUI if its an application.

Just a suggestion
    GREAT idea, I have now edited my post with some images
    My CodeBank Submissions
    • Listbox with transparency and picture support - Click Here
    • Check for a true internet connection - Click Here
    • Open Cash drawer connected to receipt printer - Click Here
    • Custom color and size border around form - Click Here
    • Upload file to website without user logins, includes PHP - Click Here
    • List All Removable USB Storage Devices - Click Here
    • Custom On/Off Slide Control - Click Here
    • Insert multiple rows of data into one database table using parameters - Click Here
    • Trigger USB/Serial Cash Drawer - Click Here