Thread: [RESOLVED] treeview with drive/dir/file

Resolved [RESOLVED] treeview with drive/dir/file

Hi, i've been searching on how to get the treeview to show the system files, is there a way that i can do this?
    Something like this:

I'm using drivelistbox, dirlistbox and filelistbox at the moment but i was aiming for something more practical, if possible all those three in 1 single treeview
    Thanks in advanced!
    Last edited by fed07; Apr 13th, 2010 at 07:42 PM.

Re: treeview with drive/dir/file

A treeiview can only show you the folder structure, so you at least need two controls. One to show folders, and one to show files. Like Windows Explorer does. Technically it can, but it wouldn't be very easy to use.

hmm.. i was trying to find something more practical and friendly user rather then the typical drive/dir/file lists, any suggestion for me?
    I wouldn't mind to try the treeview but if you say that it is rather hard i belive you LOL
    Just so I can have a clue of what we are talking about, can you show me some random coding of what i was aiming at?
    Appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by baja_yu View Post
    ... Technically it can, but it wouldn't be very easy to use.
    Yes, it could be a bit cumbersome for the user. The files would be child nodes under the folder and if you were using associated file-type icons for each file, if any had a folder icon, it could be very confusing as to which was a folder and which was a file. Of course you can use a few spaces to further offset the file chlid-nodes so they don't directly line up with subfolders contained within the same main folder.
    Code:
    + Main Folder
         SubFolder of MainFolder
             SubFolder File
             SubFolder File
         SubFolder of MainFolder
           Main Folder File
           Main Folder File
           etc
    - Main Folder
    - Main Folder
    etc
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Hmm.. i see that it would be quite complicated..
    My main objective was to make it look like windows explorer, something like the filezilla treeview since my objective is to apply this kind of component to an FTP manager i'm working on, any clue on how to get this a better user interface and more practical?
    The drive/dir/file lists do work nicely but i would rather have something like a treeview, is there a simple alternative or any suggestion from you guys?
    Thanks!

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

Frenzied Member

This is what you're looking for. It's more code than you probably expect, but it does exactly what you show in your screenshot.

http://btmtz.mvps.org/vbexplorer/

I think this is it! Thanks for the help guys!
    I'll be testing it thanks again!