Thread: Question: Java and .Net comparison

Question Question: Java and .Net comparison

I know Microsoft .Net has the CLR while java has the Hotspot VM for JIT compilation. Are there any differences between them in terms of how they work and how the code is generated?
    "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, save me... Superman!" - Homer Simpson
    My Blog

PowerPoster

Re: Question: Java and .Net comparison

I think the answer strongly depends on the level of depth you want to get into. The first cut at this was VJ++ which used the MSJVM, which in turn was fairly close to a standard JVM at the time. Enough to lose a lawsuit over.

.Net was probably a rewrite from scratch, and I'd assume the details between .Net operation today and Java as it stands now vary a great deal.

At a fundamental level the concepts employed are quite similar though.

Re: Question: Java and .Net comparison

Yes I know that. I but I want general differences. For example, the JVM doesn't have a components, data types are cross platform while in .Net there is a component of the CLR to decide how many bytes is an integer. I'm looking for stuff like that
    "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, save me... Superman!" - Homer Simpson
    My Blog