Thread: Guitar players, choosing strings

Guitar players, choosing strings

I have an electric guitar (cheap rip off of a Gibson Explorer), I like to think I can play it but I certainly can't.

Any who some of the strings are showing their age, with breaks starting to appear etc etc.

How do I choose new strings for my guitar? My only requirement is that they set on fire when played (that's cool now, right?).

When I attempt to play something it's usually rock stuff, like the Chili peppers, Feeder, etc.

Help me pls! kthxbai

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Guitar players, choosing strings

Personally I lurve Optima Gold Strings. They cost about twice as much as normal steel wound strings but they give a much richer sound and, because they're non-reactive, they tend to last alot longer too. More than twice as long, actually, so that counters the extra up front cost. It's damn hard to find a shop that'll sell them though so it's best to buy them online.

As for weight, it's a matter of preference and the only way to work out what's right for you is to try a few weights out. Lighter weights are generally a little easier to play but heavier give a fuller sound. Be aware, though, that your guitar really needs to be set up for the weight of strings you're using - particularly if it's got a trem arm. Put on heavier or lighter strings than the guitar is et for and you'll notice it doesn't hold it's tune properly when you're playing at the top of the neck. It probably won't be bad enough to bother you while you try out a few different weights but, once you've settled on a weight make sure you get your guitar set up professionally for that weight (shouldn't be expensive).
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by I_Love_My_Vans View Post
    I have an electric guitar (cheap rip off of a Gibson Explorer), I like to think I can play it but I certainly can't.

Any who some of the strings are showing their age, with breaks starting to appear etc etc.

How do I choose new strings for my guitar? My only requirement is that they set on fire when played (that's cool now, right?).

When I attempt to play something it's usually rock stuff, like the Chili peppers, Feeder, etc.

Help me pls! kthxbai
    First thing, Do you know what guage each string is? You'll want to match guages to avoid neck and possibly bridge adjustments. If you're unhappy with your current setup and want to go heavier or lighter, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction for setup.

Second thing, if it is a good explorer knockoff, It's a mahogany/Kornia body with either a mahogany or maple neck. Find out which. If it's all Mahogany, look for some bright strings, if maple Don't sweat it as much.

Frusciante and Navarro both play super strats, You'll never get an explorer to sound like that without droping an assload of $$$. Changing strings won't get you there.

Any way, this is generally what I play.

On My Basswood body, bolt on maple neck guitars 9s GHS Boomers.

On my all mahogany gibsons Super Slinky 8s

On my poplar or alder w/maple neckthrus GHS 10's
    "And most of the evils of society can, in fact, be cured through information. We have a society that has been disinformed and based on the disinformation has made irrational choices. And that's what I mean by 'ignorance.' People, who ordinarily might be smart, are deprived of the data by which to make a rational decision, don't have the data to do it."
    Frank Zappa

Fanatic Member

"I like to think I can play it but I certainly can't"

How many people can actually "play guitar". I appreciate your self-deprecation, but don't worry about it. Don't "worry" about your strings. Try different strings*. Strings are relatively cheap. If you don't like what you have, cut 'em off and put new strings on. Don't put steel strings on a nylon string guitar, but other than that, just experiment.

I'm sure some would disagree, but I feel it is not so much the equipment, but what you do with it.

* - Watch those Zach Wylde strings, you might bust your nut**.
    ** - That can be fixed.
    VB.Net 2008
    .Net Framework 2.0

"Must you breathe? 'Cause I need heaven..."

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

feel it is not so much the equipment, but what you do with it
    AMEN BROTHER!!!!

Metallers (of which I'm one) in particular seem to have this strange obsession with the minutae of their equipment and the sound it produces. I never really understood that and I've been playing the same basic set up for 20 years (Washburn G5V, Sessionette 90 amp, use the overdrive from the amp so no effects except an occasional bit of wah wah, any 9 guage strings I can get but the golds have always been a preference, even the same Jim Dunlop 88m plectrums). I've changed a few bits and pieces over the years and the change in sound didn't bother me at all. The change in the way it felt in my hands was always a far bigger issue to me.

If you wanna see a guy make a piece of **** sound good, check out Sea Sick Steve. Or, indeed, any of the old blues guys he's emulating.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

String selection is important. Strings that don't match your setup will throw off the action of your guitar, create fret buzz, dead spots, and worst case, f up your neck. It's worth taking the time to set up your guitar properly and find strings that match up to your style and equipment. Like FD said, once you find your perfect setup, you may never change it. Of course, you could put strings made of dried dog krap on some of those old washburns and they'll still sound good.

If you change string ga on a fixed bridge, at minimum:

1 Check your neck for in or out bow.
    2 Adjust bridge height. (action)
    3 Intonate
    "And most of the evils of society can, in fact, be cured through information. We have a society that has been disinformed and based on the disinformation has made irrational choices. And that's what I mean by 'ignorance.' People, who ordinarily might be smart, are deprived of the data by which to make a rational decision, don't have the data to do it."
    Frank Zappa

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Why not just hang around in a sewer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutant from Futurama
    It'll be many a year before someone flushes another guitar string.
    I don't live here any more.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

My electric is a fender strat. I like earnie ball super slinkies for that, and I use elixer polyweb, or sometimes adamas phosphor broze for acoustic.