Thread: Network Connectivity

Network Connectivity

As you may or may not know I think pinging "something" to determine whether or not to do "something" is fundamentally flawed logic.

An example would be ping a mail server, if the ping is good then send the mail. At best it is naive in it's assumption. If you want to discuss it or have an example of when it is better, I'll be glad to.

So yesterday I was involved in another debate and this morning I got up and put together some code that addresses this issue.

If you want to try the code out it can be found by clicking the Ban Ping-Then-Do link in my signature.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Re: Network Connectivity

Last edited by dbasnett; Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:49 AM.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

I'm a new VB.net "programmer" and am trying to develop a small program to determine if a computer is "up" on my home network before I try to backup files to the other computer. Can you give me a starting point or any hints as to where to look for code, functions or routines that would help do this.

Using VB 2010 (RC). Network has 4 Windows 7 computers.

Thanks.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave48 View Post
    I'm a new VB.net "programmer" and am trying to develop a small program to determine if a computer is "up" on my home network before I try to backup files to the other computer. Can you give me a starting point or any hints as to where to look for code, functions or routines that would help do this.

Using VB 2010 (RC). Network has 4 Windows 7 computers.

Thanks.

Dave
    Click on the Ban Ping-then-do in my signature. See post #5 there.

Thanks. I just downloaded the code. I'll see if I can figure it out from there.

Dave