Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [VB6] XP/Vista/Win7 Manifest Creator

Re: [VB6] XP/Vista/Win7 Manifest Creator

If I remember correctly you have to put the Option controls in a PictureBox control, otherwise you get those black backgrounds.
    It's not a bug in the manifest or the manifest creator.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    If I remember correctly you have to put the Option controls in a PictureBox control, otherwise you get those black backgrounds.
    It's not a bug in the manifest or the manifest creator.
    Hi, i have explore this furthermore today that my option control button turn black if it put above frame control. besides that all is normal. in form, sstab,ect normal option button appear but when it put with frame control it's turn black. Any idea how to solved?

Yes, in the frame put a borderless picturebox control which is sized to inner width of the frame.
    Then place the option control(s) in the picturebox.

Frenzied Member

You may also find that Command buttons are shown with black rectangular borders in similar circumstances; treat them in the same manner as advised by Arno for the Option buttons.
    Neither problem happens under Windows Vista and later.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Ink View Post
    You may also find that Command buttons are shown with black rectangular borders in similar circumstances; treat them in the same manner as advised by Arno for the Option buttons.
    Neither problem happens under Windows Vista and later.
    For Frame controls, which cause this, is a "fix" possible w/o the PictureBox workaround.

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...es)&highlight=

Though this is actually a XP only bug, as you mentioned.

Much appreciated! Worked perfectly in XP 32bit Sp2.
    Actually got the same manifest from other sources, but modifying it with PFE and XP notepad barfed the UTF8, or inserted wrong characters in somewhere.
    Thank you for this fine project!

Lively Member

Hi,
    (1) Created a manifest to my application making a textfile with .manifest extension and Res file as mentioned at #3. And got a shield at the App right bottom corner.
    Name:  Image1.png
Views: 936
Size:  2.7 KB
    Which helped to pass UAC.
    When i created a Res file using MC2
    The Manifest > Export Manifest (After Selecting the Required Check Boxes)
    and created .res file
    Then attached the .res to the App (Saved a copy of App before linking the Res file as in (1))
    but after building the compilation file no shield this time to the bottom right corner of .exe file.
    and upon run giving the following error message.
    Name:  Image2.png
Views: 10646
Size:  5.6 KB
    May be i have created the .res file wrongly.
    Please suggest how to build .res file that will pas UAC and also support 32 bit .ico files.

When that error occurs, the manifest is not technically correct. You'll need to look at your window events to see what portion of the file is triggering the error.

On Win10:
    Open "Event Viewer" from your taskbar Windows button (RUN > eventvwr.msc /s)
    Open the Windows Log section to view the Application events
    Find the entry for your app.

Here's an example of one I found that applies to a Microsoft assembly
    Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\CopyDatabaseWizard.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\CopyDatabaseWizard.exe" on line 8. The value "1.0" of attribute "version" in element "assemblyIdentity" is invalid.
    The last sentence should help narrow it down. In that case, the version format is a 4 part value: #.#.#.# (i.e., 1.0.0.0) not the two part one used: 1.0

Edited and a follow up. The above was resolved in another part of the forum. It appeared that the manifest was not dword-aligned when placed in the resource file. This is typically not an issue unless SP6 was not applied to VB. Prior to SP6, VB padded resources with null char bytes to ensure dword-aligned. Char 0 is an invalid character in XML/HTML and likely the reason for the error.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Oct 27th, 2017 at 05:46 PM.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Lively Member

I know I'm late to the party but I only recently stumbled across this wonderful thread.
    I'm running into a few issues with using Creator II. Well...the issues are probably due to my misunderstandings as I've never dealt with manifests before this.

1) The theme changes don't seem to work if running within the IDE but do work if I compile and then run the executable (maybe this is normal, I don't know)

2) I only selected to use the Win 10 theme and I notice if I have a frame within another frame, the one inside, its title is bolded and a much larger font size than the 'container' frame. Is there a way around this?

3) My progress bars still look like VB6 ones not Win 10 ones

Screenshot attached

"Start" and "End" should be same font size (and non-bolded) as the "Daylight Savings" title of the parent frame. Notice the 'Start' and 'End' are also truncated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Lots of things to address:

1. Don't use this version, I am no longer supporting it. If you look at the 1st sentence in post #1, you'll see the link to the current version. Once there, I gave a bit of a summary why the new version was done.

2. Manifesting for common controls. You can get your IDE to work manifested with very little effort. I won't be addressing many questions on this thread as I am not supporting it any longer. In that other thread, there is a technique described for manifesting the IDE. If it doesn't seem to work, post a question there, I've since discovered a potentially easier method.

3. Fonts. Always use True-Type fonts, not the default font VB gives you. Simplest habit for new projects: before you add a single control to a new form, change the form's font immediately. Most controls later added to the form, inherit that font's properties.

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Lively Member

I am using the new version (as my OP stated, I'm using Creator II).

I will move to the new thread, thanks.

FYI for others. The problem is a bug that still isn't fixed when controls are added to frames and project is manifested. This frame in a frame solution is the same as how we got past it in the XP days --- add inner frame to picturebox, add picturebox to outer frame, change picturebox size/position/backcolor to taste, make it borderless

Edited: But don't use this version of the project anyway. Use the newer version linked to in the 1st posting. I've added comments to that thread regarding this problem.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Apr 21st, 2020 at 11:11 AM.

not sure if PMs work (tried sending one, and nothing happened), so posting here...

Hi! Came across your post here:
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...57#post4810657

But I don't "get" how to use the loadimage function to get an icon applied to xp themed controls (I've searched but can't figure it out)...
    if you have a moment, could you please just .zip up a project containing sample code with the icon in order to do that?

thanks very much!

Quote Originally Posted by mememe2 View Post
    But I don't "get" how to use the loadimage function to get an icon applied to xp themed controls (I've searched but can't figure it out)...
    if you have a moment, could you please just .zip up a project containing sample code with the icon in order to do that?
    Recommend posting the question in the general VB forums section. Your question is not difficult to answer, but can result in multiple posts. I don't want this thread being used for other topics other than manifesting & I don't want this thread being resurrected with updated information.

This thread is no longer being supported as noted at top of the 1st post.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; May 10th, 2020 at 10:52 AM.

Frenzied Member

Is this thread still relevant, or should we consider it replaced by the thread on Manifest Creator v2.0.5? It's old.

And is there anywhere that sort of steps through the process in beginner-speak? I was immediately stumped when I reached...

4. Click on the button "Sub Main To Clipboard"
    What button? Where is this button?

If I've hit a wall this quick in the list of ToDo's, I'm going to end up shanking my system!

Eve Online - Mining, Missions & Market Trading!

The first post in this thread links to the newest version of this manifest creator. For your purposes just use an existing manifest file like I've already told you. You are complicating things for yourself unnecessarily.

PowerPoster

Compatibility: Change High DPI Settings Select the application.
    How to write this in XML code Manifest?

Eve Online - Mining, Missions & Market Trading!

Wink Re: [VB6] XP/Vista/Win7 Manifest Creator

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    Compatibility: Change High DPI Settings Select the application.
    How to write this in XML code Manifest?
    Like this: Simple way to make your VB6 application "Per-Monitor DPI Aware", take a look at the manifest included in the ZIP archive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123