Thread: [RESOLVED] Runtime Error

Resolved [RESOLVED] Runtime Error

Hi there,

I have a web app that works perfectly on my computer but when I publish it to a remote server, this error occur...

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>
    Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>
    How can I make this work on the remote server? Thanks in advance

Re: Runtime Error

Ok I made this work by changing the ASP.NET version of the remote server from 1.1 to 2.0. Also, I've changed the build settings of the ASP.NET version from 3.5 to 2.0.

This is the next problem I've encountered...

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=10.5.3700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

Line 87: -->
    Line 88: <httpHandlers>
    Line 89: <add verb="GET" path="CrystalImageHandler.aspx" type="CrystalDecisions.Web.CrystalImageHandler, CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=10.5.3700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>
    Line 90: </httpHandlers>
    Line 91: </system.web>
    Source File: D:\project\web.config Line: 89

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=10.5.3700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' could not be loaded.

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
    To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
    Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
    To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42
    Any help please? Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by Claude2005; Mar 8th, 2010 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude2005 View Post
    Ok I made this work by changing the ASP.NET version of the remote server from 1.1 to 2.0.
    I agree with this part

Also, I've changed the build settings of the ASP.NET version from 3.5 to 2.0.
    You shouldn't have had to do that. If you have created an application in Visual Studio 2008, to target the .Net Framework 3.5, then you should be able to run this in IIS, with the "Web Site" configured to run .Net 2.0 Sites. 3.5 is essentially bolt on's to 2.0.

The error that you are receiving suggests that you haven't uploaded the necessary Crystal Reports assemblies onto the web server. Likely on your development machine, these have been loaded into the GAC. You are going to either need to get Crystal Reports installed on the web server, or, you are going to need to copy those assemblies into the bin directory of your application.

Gary

Oh I see, let me change it back then to 3.5 . So, I'm not required to upgrade the server to version 3.5?

If I were to upgrade the server from asp.net version 2.0 to 3.5, is the installation as simple as this?

1. Download the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1 installer
    2. Run on the server

Question though for the Crystal Report part...

I've noticed that on my computer's directory "C:\Windows\Assembly", the version of my Crystal Report Libraries is 10.5.3700.0 and the server's version is 10.2.3600.0.

I'm just wondering if it's okay if I just copy the libraries from my computer and paste to the server's computer. Is this move okay?
    Last edited by Claude2005; Mar 8th, 2010 at 05:17 AM.

Hey,

Sounds like you have been developing against a different version of Crystal Reports, compared to what is deployed on the server. I would be tempted to do an upgrade on the Server, or revert your development environment to use the same version. I honestly can't say if it is enough to copy the assemblies into the GAC, as I haven't ever done a CR installation, I would hazard a guess at there is more to it than this.

Yip, that should be all there is to it. Given that you already have IIS installed, any configuration will be taken care of for you.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gep13 View Post
    Hey,

Sounds like you have been developing against a different version of Crystal Reports, compared to what is deployed on the server. I would be tempted to do an upgrade on the Server, or revert your development environment to use the same version. I honestly can't say if it is enough to copy the assemblies into the GAC, as I haven't ever done a CR installation, I would hazard a guess at there is more to it than this.

Yip, that should be all there is to it. Given that you already have IIS installed, any configuration will be taken care of for you.

Gary
    Sorry about that. I really don't have any clue, at first, about asp.net, its versions and uploading files to the server . I'm enjoying this stuff, you know?

PS: Done some edit with my previous post, sorry... Tried re-reading your previous post and it added some more light into my head, so I did some editing...

Oh I see, let me change it back then to 3.5 . So, I'm not required to upgrade the server to version 3.5?
    Ok, I am not sure that I follow what you are now saying, can you clarify?

Sorry about that. I really don't have any clue, at first, about asp.net, its versions and uploading files to the server . I'm enjoying this stuff, you know?
    Yip, everyone has to start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by gep13 View Post
    Originally Posted by Claude2005
    Oh I see, let me change it back then to 3.5. So, I'm not required to upgrade the server to version 3.5?
    Ok, I am not sure that I follow what you are now saying, can you clarify?
    Okay, you said...

You shouldn't have had to do that. If you have created an application in Visual Studio 2008, to target the .Net Framework 3.5, then you should be able to run this in IIS, with the "Web Site" configured to run .Net 2.0 Sites. 3.5 is essentially bolt on's to 2.0.
    From what I understand, the 2.0 version in the server can run 3.5 applications that I create from my computer. From the looks of it, I think I understood it in a wrong way. I'll try upgrading the server tomorrow since I'm already at home cheers!

Btw, if you upgrade the asp.net from a version 2.0 to 3.5, does it also upgrade the version of the crystal report libraries from 10.2.3600.0 to a 10.5.3700.0?

Hey,

What I meant by that was...

IIS does not distinguish between .Net 2.0 and .Net 3.5, when you are configuring an application within it. However, .Net 3.5 would require to be installed in order to work correctly.

I would suspect that the .Net 3.5 installation will not touch Crystal Reports at all.

Gary

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=10.5.3700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    From the Error message I can say that, You have reference to Crystal Report 10.5 in your web.config file, and you haven't installed Crystal Report in your server
    Please mark you thread resolved using the Thread Tools as shown

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

If I were to upgrade the server from asp.net version 2.0 to 3.5, is the installation as simple as this?

1. Download the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1 installer
    2. Run on the server

Question though for the Crystal Report part...

I've noticed that on my computer's directory "C:\Windows\Assembly", the version of my Crystal Report Libraries is 10.5.3700.0 and the server's version is 10.2.3600.0.

I'm just wondering if it's okay if I just copy the libraries from my computer and paste to the server's computer. Is this move okay?
    Don't copy it into the gac. Use gacutil.exe to install the Crystal DLLs into the GAC. But then, you may miss a few, so I'd suggest you actually install crystal reports on the server. That takes care of adding the DLLs to the GAC, which is what your app is trying to look for.

Frenzied Member

Look for this guy on your development machine:

CRRedist2008_x86.msi

That's the install for the Crystal redistributable files you need for the version that comes with VS2008. Run that on the server you are installing to and you should be set.
    Sean

Some days when I think about the next 30 years or so of my life I am going to spend writing code, I happily contemplate stepping off a curb in front of a fast moving bus.

Nice, installing the CRRedist2008_x86.msi solves the problem with the crystal report, now this error pops-up

Configuration Error
    Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

Line 38: <add assembly="CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.Framework, Version=10.5.3700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>
    Line 39: <add assembly="CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.InfoStore, Version=10.5.3700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>
    Line 40: <add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>
    Line 41: <add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>
    Line 42: <add assembly="System.DirectoryServices, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>

Source File: D:\project\web.config Line: 40

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' could not be loaded.

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
    To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
    Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
    To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1433; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1433
    Oh man, Report Viewer this time

Okay, I got this to work by adding the dll files of the Report Viewer to the bin folder. Thanks guys for the help

Re: [RESOLVED] Runtime Error

Hey,

Glad to hear that you got it working!

Gary

I'm having the same problem , but i'm using an Online Web Host company ,
    so , it's not allowed to install any files on it , all i have is just FTP account and the control panel to enable uploading files !
    i tried my project also on a free host and it gave me more errors !!!!
    (for ex : http://somee.com >>>> gives free temp asp.net hosting )

please , is there any way to run crystal reports on a Hosted Servers ??
    i also tried to extract "CRRedist2008_x86.msi" and copied all the DLL files into my Bin folder !
    but the errors exist !!
    any help would be appreciated ..
    Thank you.

Hello,

You might not be in luck here. You might be able to bin deploy the DLL's, but it is highly possible that you NEED to have this installed. Have you contacted the support organisation for the hosting provider and asked them?

Gary