Thread: Looking for the equivalent of VB Forums focusing on Sharepoint Development

Looking for the equivalent of VB Forums focusing on Sharepoint Development

I'm basically looking for the equivalent of these forums for community and support for Microsoft Sharepoint Development. Does anything exist? Anybody have experience with this beast of a system that apparently "everyone is using" but I can't seem to find a solid, open, Q/A style forum anywhere?

Our tale of woe... we have a major internal development project at my company to implement an internal system for doing document control, work-flows, etc. Immediately, I looked at Microsoft Sharepoint and from everything I've seen, it can do this for us.

So, we did what most companies do; we hired a consultant to come in, set us up and develop a few basic systems for us. Problem is they bungled the job big-time. They spent a month trying to get even the first system working - all billable hours, and their "solution" was such a hack, it brought vomit to my mouth even thinking about it (pasting images of text-pages...).

We tossed them out and idled the project for a few months and recently spoke with another consultant. He was sympathetic to our woes, but then he started peddling a "will do everything for you and tie it into Sharepoint" software package named WinShuttle (by SAP, and no, we don't run SAP). While he made a convincing argument that Microsoft's Sharepoint tools are clunky and rough (they are, I've been playing with them for the last few weeks), it's hard to justify a $30k expenditure for an "ultimate development tool" on faith alone.

On top of it all, just yesterday, the trial version of Sharepoint Enterprise the first company installed finally expired, so we're completely without a Sharepoint platform and are now questioning what we even need (Enterprise, Standard or Foundation?)

At this point, this project is rapidly failing and the owner is starting to lean towards tearing our whole infrastructure out and switching to Lotus Notes because "Their Lotus Notes system at their other place does what he wants".

I just need a community of unbiased pros who I can toss questions at and get this moving again. We've already spent enough to buy two luxury cars and have zero return to show for it.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

Re: Looking for the equivalent of VB Forums focusing on Sharepoint Development

I'd start with the Shaprepoint forums on MSDN. Then I'd simply google "Sharepoint fourms" ... see what turns up... here's the three that followed the MSDN results.

SharePoint Forums
    spforums.codeplex.com

SharePoint Forums Home
    www.sharepointforums.org

SharePoint Forum
    sharepointforum.com

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Thanks for the links. I've been wading through the mess at MSDN. It seems to have the most activity but the organization of it is dreadful. If there's one thing I learned recently is Sharepoint stinks as a forums system (especially compared to vBulletin or phpbb) and most forums about Sharepoint use Sharepoint as the engine.

Interestingly, the second link you posted isn't to a Sharepoint Help forum... it's to an open source project that completely replaces the cruddy default Sharepoint forum implementation. I might have to snag it if we ever get this up and running

That third site looks promising though. Thanks for the prod. I recently switched to Bing to try it out but it just doesn't have the kind of raw functionality that Google has.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

"most forums about Sharepoint use Sharepoint as the engine. " -- it's called eating one's own dog food... and it's stupid. SP isn't a forum platform... it's a content and document management/repository platform. We use it here strictly for it's content and document management features. Every project gets its own section to play with. Design, tech, and user guides all go in there. My current project also uses it for managing tasks and issue tracking - well until this week... after which they become support's problem. hehehe...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *