Thread: [RESOLVED] Database Conversion

Resolved [RESOLVED] Database Conversion

Good day everyone,

I was wondering if someone could tell me if it is possible to take a "Stand alone"(originally design for a single computer) VB Project with an attached SQL database and convert it to be a network (or multiple computer access to the database) project. I am hoping it can be done without starting from scratch.

If it is possible, can someone point me in the right direction to where I should get started. I spent a quite a few months developing this program and would hate it if I had to start over.

Thanks,

Re: Database Conversion

All you should need to do is change the connection string to point to the database server on the network.
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

Thanks Gary, do you think it would be possible to incorporate a "windows file tree", so what ever computer it is set up on in the future, all you would have do do is search until you found the database.

No you need to include SMO if you want do that. That will allow the user to view all SQL Servers on the network and then select the one to connect to. That of course will assume that the database name is what you expect it to be. Also that the user has security credentials to connect to that database (if using Integrated Security).
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

Thanks Gary, I am new to database creations but at least I have an idea to a starting point. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.