dcsimg

Thread: So, who got a Nexus One?

So, who got a Nexus One?

I've had it for a few weeks now and so far it seems good. The best part about it is that you can have a nice, responsive phone without being a Mactard for it. To me it's perfectly between the iphone and WinMo. You get the control of Windows Mobile and you get the UI elements (and crap battery life) of the iphone. And of course it's easy to find a lot of the same apps. Well, the useful one anyways.

You do need a data plan and your phone does get synced with your google account (though you can also choose not to do that).

The SDK involves a learning curve. In typical Java fashion, they've taken normal "things" such as form, screen, application, messages and called them completely different things like activities and intents. After a while it does start to make sense because they're attempting to create a seamless feel as you move between apps. A bit of weirdness is when you realize that you don't end an application. Instead, you signal to the OS that "the app is no longer in use. You can destroy it if you wish!"

Another good thing is that Android/Nexus One users, unlike iphone users, can stop talking about their phones. Observe, as I

Re: So, who got a Nexus One?

What's worse than being a Mactard?

Living next door to Kregg...
    My Flickr Stream »

My Sites » BlogTwitterFlickr

Of course, we both know that you're only putting off the inevitable. You'll fiddle about with this monstrosity of yours for a year or so, figure out eventually that it isn't as good as an iPhone, and have to ditch it. But if you haven't yet wrapped your mind around the thought of purchasing Apple's masterpiece, you'll go for some other half-baked phone idea from Sony, or Nokia, or Motorola. And so the sorry tale will continue, until either you run out of money, come to your senses, or end up starving to death in your own flat, buried under a mountain of aging useless smartphones.
    I use VB 6, VB.Net 2003 and Office 2010

Code:
    Excel Graphing | Excel Timer | Excel Tips and Tricks | Add controls in Office | Data tables in Excel | Gaussian random number distribution (VB6/VBA,VB.Net) | Coordinates, Vectors and 3D volumes

I'd probably get an iPhone if it wasn't exclusive to the worst cell network in the country. At least Verizon is getting some real flagship phones this year.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Of course, we both know that you're only putting off the inevitable. You'll fiddle about with this monstrosity of yours for a year or so, figure out eventually that it isn't as good as an iPhone, and have to ditch it. But if you haven't yet wrapped your mind around the thought of purchasing Apple's masterpiece, you'll go for some other half-baked phone idea from Sony, or Nokia, or Motorola. And so the sorry tale will continue, until either you run out of money, come to your senses, or end up starving to death in your own flat, buried under a mountain of aging useless smartphones.
    Do you hear that? That's the sound of the old generation clutching for straws as it slowly sinks into its never-ending celebration of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Love_My_Vans View Post
    What's worse than being a Mactard?

Living next door to Kregg...
    That's just ice cold, brah

Frenzied Member

I heart android too, just missing some .net goodness!

I'll probably get the next generation of the Nexus One if it has a physical keyboard that doesn't suck like the Android's.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

Fanatic Member

I'm more interested in the Maemo platform then android. I had high hopes for the N900, but I haven't been reading too many good things about it.
    Where I'm from we only have one bit of advice for new comers: "If you hear banjos, turn and run".

VS 2008 .NetFW 2.0

Steve Jobs asked me to kick you all in the balls.

I am waiting for the next iPhone and WM7 before I make a choice on my next phone. Maybe there will be a Nexus Two by then to add to my choices. This is the major thing that is making me really consider an Android device currently: http://gizmodo.com/5453321/slidescre...ul-information currently
    Stack Overflow
    See the features of Visual Studio 2010 and C# 4.0: The 10-4 show on Channel9

Lively Member

i have the droid and love it. i really like the physical keyboard. its a little flat but it still works real well. and android is just awesome in general. i cant stand iphones either. hopefully the nexus one will sell 100 times better when it goes to verizon. which it prob will but IDK when its going to verizon. i still anxiously waiting for android 2.1 on the droid though!!?!

I hear the Nexus has many issues being a first gen phone. It has its plus' and minus' just like any other phone. Its very similar to the Driod as I figured HTC partnered with Motorolla to design the Driod and now they used some of the allowable info for the nexus.

Motorolla Droid FTW!!! I got one a few weeks ago and its quiet impressive as a substancial competitor to the mactard iphone. Verizon network too!!!
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I got an ACER liquid. Don't know if you guys have heard of it. I'm just loving Android right now what with all the apps I really love. The best so far has been its seamless integration with my google account (mail and calendar and map etc). It's very google centric and since I use a lot of google service I'm quite happy. The latest awesome feature I'm loving is the calendar. All my schedules and even other people's calendars if you get shared that calendar that is. Also in my events, when I put a zip code or address in the where field, it becomes a link which opens google maps when clicked and points you where you are in general.

Still this is my first smart phone so I'm still quite impressionable. Of course on some odd times I miss my SE C902, SmartPhone cameras are just crap imho.

I really do love just about everything about the Droid except the physical keyboard. It's so... cheap. No physical separation between buttons and tiny keys makes it frustrating to use for me. If they only had a keyboard more like the one on the LG-eNV line, I'd pay the upgrade penalty to get one today.

From what I hear, the next Nexus One (Nexus Two?) is going to have a physical keyboard as well.

How do you guys like your Droids/Nexus Ones from an "activating in the pocket" standpoint? Does it happen? See, it's stupid things like this that have totally disillusioned me from some of these smartphones. Stupid, moronic, idiotic, bone-headed, engineering decisions in the PHYSICAL design of the phone that piss me the hell off.

Every smartphone I've ever used or played with have been plagued with poor physical design choices.

- Albert Einstein

Lively Member

Any reference about its price?

Nexus 1 is $180 only through tmobile in the USA with 2 year contract otherwise its $500+

"activating in the pocket"? Um just lock the phone and no probs
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

That's the problem, the phones unlock themselves from time to time. When I carry around my iTouch (more or less an iPhone without the phone part) there are times it unlocks and next thing I know, I hear music coming from pocket.

My LG-enV Touch phone though is even worse. It has an unlock BUTTON (not a switch or other logical mechanical lock) on the side which with two presses (one to activate the phone, one to unlock it) up against my car keys or wallet unlocks the phone. Most of the time, it only needs one press, because pressing ANY button on the phone will activate it.

I dunno, I'm still not sold on the idea of a pocket touchscreen. It's too much a gimmick and not enough substance like most of cell phone technology.

Over this weekend, my buddy with an iPhone was trying to demonstrate it's speech recognition capabilities. "Play nine inch nails" in a clean, accentless voice in a quiet room with four observers. Trans-Siberian Orchestra started playing. To the phone's credit, the fifth time it tried it, it got it right.

We've fallen a LONG way from being able to hear a pin-drop on the other ends of these things as well. The voice codecs are so compressed and scrambled and the sound cancelling microphones so hyper-actively filtering out everything more than a foot away or quieter than 85db I'm amazed I understand anything at all.

Cell-phones, the lords of flawed technology.
    Last edited by Jenner; Jan 25th, 2010 at 08:48 AM.

- Albert Einstein

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I have a blue phone !
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Look at my A55 everyone!

I don't live here any more.

Quote Originally Posted by wossname View Post
    Look at my A55 everyone!

Fail!

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
    That's the problem, the phones unlock themselves from time to time. When I carry around my iTouch (more or less an iPhone without the phone part) there are times it unlocks and next thing I know, I hear music coming from pocket.

My LG-enV Touch phone though is even worse. It has an unlock BUTTON (not a switch or other logical mechanical lock) on the side which with two presses (one to activate the phone, one to unlock it) up against my car keys or wallet unlocks the phone. Most of the time, it only needs one press, because pressing ANY button on the phone will activate it.

I dunno, I'm still not sold on the idea of a pocket touchscreen. It's too much a gimmick and not enough substance like most of cell phone technology.

Over this weekend, my buddy with an iPhone was trying to demonstrate it's speech recognition capabilities. "Play nine inch nails" in a clean, accentless voice in a quiet room with four observers. Trans-Siberian Orchestra started playing. To the phone's credit, the fifth time it tried it, it got it right.

We've fallen a LONG way from being able to hear a pin-drop on the other ends of these things as well. The voice codecs are so compressed and scrambled and the sound cancelling microphones so hyper-actively filtering out everything more than a foot away or quieter than 85db I'm amazed I understand anything at all.

Cell-phones, the lords of flawed technology.
    With the Driod it unlocks with a gesture motion/pattern so no accidental unlocking.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    With the Driod it unlocks with a gesture motion/pattern so no accidental unlocking.
    So instead of unlocking when you flip it open, it unlocks when you flip it off?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Huh? It is not a flip phone.
    Doh! Ok its late.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    So instead of unlocking when you flip it open, it unlocks when you flip it off?
    Muahhaha! Bazinga!

- Albert Einstein

Addicted Member

Over here in the states, the Nexus One is currently only available on T-Mobile, and they have more sparse 3G coverage than AT&T. Supposedly, Verizon is getting it soon.

Me personally, I told AT&T to take a hike and got myself a Droid a couple of months ago. I'm still trying to figure out if I'm more impressed with the device, the Android OS, or Verizon's network. Needless to say, I'm quite enjoying the trifecta of awesome 3G coverage, open OS, and a good sturdy phone.
    If my post helped you, please rate it!

Languages: VB/ASP.NET 2005, C# 2008,VB6
    Databases: Oracle (knowledge not currently in use), DB2

FROM Customers
    WHERE We_Know_What_We_Want <> DB.Null
    SELECT *
    0 rows returned