Thread: Generating connection string when old one is invalid

Red face Generating connection string when old one is invalid

I was thinking that as I have had alot of help from people while learning VB.Net that I would try and give something back to the community.
    So I decided to create a generic piece of code which would hopefully help some people. What I have created is a couple of forms which deal with checking to see if a connection string is working and if not then it provides the user with a couple forms which asks for details about the SQL Server that they would like to connect to, then produces a connection string for them and stores it, so that it wont need to be requested next time.

Currently I'm using the My.Settings to store the connection string which isn't a secure method, but as this is more to allow for people to have a look and see how they might be able to do this, I don't feel that this is a problem.

As far as any copyrights of intellectual property, do what ever you want with this, rip it apart, use it in personal/commercial applications if you want, you don't need to give any credit, although I wouldn't say no to a thanks below .

I'm also interested in peoples responses if they see something I've done which they know a better way of doing it (as that will also help me learn).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Generating connection string when old one is invalid

You'll want to re-attach the code without any compiled files.
    CodeBank contributions: Process Manager, Temp File Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley
    "game trainer" is the same as calling the act of robbing a bank "wealth redistribution"....

Done, I'm assuming its to remove the possibility of malicious code being included in the exe, but not shown in the code?

Quote Originally Posted by Satal Keto View Post
    Done, I'm assuming its to remove the possibility of malicious code being included in the exe, but not shown in the code?
    Exactly
    CodeBank contributions: Process Manager, Temp File Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley
    "game trainer" is the same as calling the act of robbing a bank "wealth redistribution"....