Thread: How can I make a exe just like activeX?

Hyperactive Member

How can I make a exe just like activeX?

How can I call exe which is made by vb.net and then my web site can use it as a link for opening. If user does not install it, the warning window will help u install the exe, just like report builder in reporting service?

Re: How can I make a exe just like activeX?

Hey,

I assume you must be talking about running/installed an exe on the machine of the client that is accessing your website, is that correct?

What is the reason that you need to do this?

This isn't something that is easy to do, and it isn't something that you will be able to do without the interaction of the user. They have to both acknowledge the download, and also initiate the installation.

Gary

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

Writing an ActiveX control in .NET

The article is in C#, but you need to read it to understand the concept of making it and placing it on a page. It'll be a class that inherits from windows forms. Also understand that the user will need .NET on their machine in order for your ActiveX to work at all. If this isn't something you think you can achieve with your userbase, then tell us what the goal of your control is, it's likely that it can be accomplished with some HTML + JS

Hyperactive Member

Thx mendhak, I will have a look at this article.

to gep13:
    As u know activex is only working on IE but not others browsers, so I consider this way should be cross-browsers solution on pop-up windows. Both of activex or exe must be en-able by user before installed, the different is activeX can be used as object on ie but not on the others browsers.

If you're looking for something cross browser without the hassle look at flash or silverlight. But only if you're not doing something big to the user's machine since they have limited permissions

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by mendhak View Post
    If you're looking for something cross browser without the hassle look at flash or silverlight. But only if you're not doing something big to the user's machine since they have limited permissions
    Yup, I also have a concern on them because they can be embedded into a web form. But just a question, is it hard to do sth like "SQL SERVER 2005 report builder"?

Hey,

That isn't a simple question to answer. You will need to provide more information about exactly what you are trying to achieve, and in which technology, before anyone is going to be able to help.

Gary

From scratch? Yeah!