Thread: Visual studio professional 6.0 pro

Visual studio professional 6.0 pro

anyone have this, or know where i can get it free...

PowerPoster

Re: Visual studio professional 6.0 pro

That is a licensed Microsoft product that has never been free.

As dilettante said, it's never been free, but if you're looking to buy a copy they do come up on Ebay. Just make sure it includes Visual Studio as that's where the MSDN library is. The package should include 3 CDs.
    <--- Did someone help you? Please rate their post. The little green squares make us feel really smart!
    If topic has been resolved, please pull down the Thread Tools & mark it Resolved.

Is VB consuming your life, and is that a bad thing??

Like others said, Visual Studio 6.0 is not free. And that's an old version too. But you can get the new version(.Net version, which is somewhat different than the old one) for free. That is, their Express edition is free. Check Microsoft's website to download it.

If you are planning for learning this package for software development, try to grab the new edition(because it has many features and security). But if it is for your academic purpose, then go for the old version. Because VS 6 and VS.Net are different...

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

Quote Originally Posted by akhileshbc View Post
    Like others said, Visual Studio 6.0 is not free. And that's an old version too. But you can get the new version(.Net version, which is somewhat different than the old one) for free.
    That's a bit of an understatement.
    <--- Did someone help you? Please rate their post. The little green squares make us feel really smart!
    If topic has been resolved, please pull down the Thread Tools & mark it Resolved.

Visual Basic 6 as previously said is not free.

However

If you just want to start in VB and have a look what it's all about.

Microsoft has released a FREE version of Visual Basic 5 Control Creation Edition.

Off course its restricted in what you can do and compile but I personally think it is a good starting point for anyone to get into if you are not sure you should purchase Visual Basic 6 or not.

Info here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q165524/

System Requirements here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174677

I was unable to find a microsoft link to the download (even though it is suppose to be on the Microsoft vbasic website, but it is legally free and given away by microsoft nonetheless.

A Download link I found from a reliable source was here:
    http://www.vbcodesource.com/utilities.php
    (bottom of the list you find link to download "Visual Basic 5 CCE")

Kind Regards,
    Optional

If you feel this post has helped in answering your question please return the favour and Rate this post.
    If your problem has been solved and your question has been answered mark the thread as [RESOLVED] by selecting the Thread Tools menu option at the top and clicking the Mark Thread Resolved menu item.

VB6 - (DataGrid) Get the Row selected with the right mouse button

Quote Originally Posted by CDRIVE View Post
    That's a bit of an understatement.
    What do you mean..??? Is that wrong..???

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Frenzied Member

Another place to find legal copies of VB is at nextag.com. I would suggest you search for enterprise edition.

As for understatement and that being wrong. I kind of liken it to (Classic VB and VB.NET), dogs. Just because a Pit Bull and a chihuaha are both dogs does not mean they are the same thing. As such VB.NET and VB6.0 happen to share the same name (dog), but that does not mean that they are the same breeds.
    Option Explicit should not be an Option!

What do you mean..??? Is that wrong..???
    Most would say it's two totally different animals, which is why so many VB6 developers have been angry since the first NET was introduced. It is not a progression of VB6.

Quote Originally Posted by CDRIVE View Post
    Most would say it's two totally different animals, which is why so many VB6 developers have been angry since the first NET was introduced. It is not a progression of VB6.
    I was trying to state that, both are having some differences... (OOP model in .Net, ie. classes)....

I was trying to state that, both are having some differences... (OOP model in .Net, ie. classes)....
    Oops, you did it again. Some differences implies that they are quite similar and that a VB programmer will migrate to NET painlessly. Much of what I've read seems to indicate quite the contrary.

If I were young, which I'm not, and had to start all over again, it would not be with any MS product. I would be looking at something like Power Basic. They constantly upgrade their product instead of throwing their customers, with years of study, under the bus.

My dear wife retired as a (COBOL) senior programmer annalist after 35 years. She and COBOL are still, to this day, not obsolete but we are!

OP:
    Quote Originally Posted by joev View Post
    anyone have this, or know where i can get it free...
    Here:
    Quote Originally Posted by vb5prgrmr View Post
    Another place to find legal copies of VB is at nextag.com. I would suggest you search for enterprise edition.
    and some alternative to VB6, meaning VB5 CCE, here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Microsoft has released a FREE version of Visual Basic 5 Control Creation Edition.

Off course its restricted in what you can do and compile but I personally think it is a good starting point for anyone to get into if you are not sure you should purchase Visual Basic 6 or not.

Info here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q165524/

System Requirements here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174677

I was unable to find a microsoft link to the download (even though it is suppose to be on the Microsoft vbasic website, but it is legally free and given away by microsoft nonetheless.

A Download link I found from a reliable source was here:
    http://www.vbcodesource.com/utilities.php
    (bottom of the list you find link to download "Visual Basic 5 CCE")
    And another alternative, upgrade to .NET here:
    Like others said, Visual Studio 6.0 is not free. And that's an old version too. But you can get the new version(.Net version, which is somewhat different than the old one) for free. That is, their Express edition is free. Check Microsoft's website to download it.
    I'm sure this threat is resolved ?

Kind Regards,
    Optional

If you feel this post has helped in answering your question please return the favour and Rate this post.
    If your problem has been solved and your question has been answered mark the thread as [RESOLVED] by selecting the Thread Tools menu option at the top and clicking the Mark Thread Resolved menu item.

PowerPoster

Actually the question was about Visual Studio 6.0, and not VB at all.

But since it was posted here that might be a reasonable assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Actually the question was about Visual Studio 6.0, and not VB at all.

But since it was posted here that might be a reasonable assumption.
    Damn, that's why you got the green boxes and I don't

I need to pay more attention to the details

Kind Regards,
    Optional

Kind Regards,
    Optional

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Damn, that's why you got the green boxes and I don't
    Been feeling under the weather but this managed to bring a smile to my face!

PowerPoster

I have green boxes? Wow, I see I do. Who'd have ever imagined that?

At 450 posts per box though I see you're a lot better at it than I am.

Hope you feel better soon CDRIVE.

VS 6.0 can only be acquired by:

1) as said before, eBay. the legit way.
    2) downloading from the intertubes. the dishonest way.

i went with #2 because the price is kinda ridiculous usually for how old it is, but i cannot assist you this is a public forum. it can be found pretty easily. i am not advocating piracy............ i actually owned a legit copy 10 years ago, but i haven't seen the disc in some years. i used my real product key though so i guess it's not dishonest.
    Last edited by miker00lz; Jan 18th, 2010 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post

Hope you feel better soon CDRIVE.
    Thank you. I could use a few feet of lower intestines. Maybe they too come up on ebay??