Thread: Formatting Multi-Line Textbox

Formatting Multi-Line Textbox

I need to limit a textbox to 40 characters per line and 5 lines max for a total of 200 characters max entered.

Basically I need to set Tab stops at every 40 characters to force a new line.

Been searching and nada so far.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Frenzied Member

Re: Formatting Multi-Line Textbox

Rob, would your best option here not be to handle the text change event?

Quick fix was to limit the textbox to 200 chars, no prob, but to "simulate" the line limits I just turned on wordwrap. Lucky for me the area/size of the textbox almost perfectly fit 200 chars wrapped. They never knew the difference but I sure would like to figure out a solution like there is for VB6 multiline textbox with setting tab stops
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Frenzied Member

Hmm,

I would imagine the best option is a custom textbox implementation but of course this adds more time to the project. Perhaps it is a "spare time" job.

Yea, "one day" perhaps. I got to enhance the app as I got two new requests from the QA dept. Always nit picking lol

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Frenzied Member

Hey at least you have a QA dept, all I have is the missus!

Yea but you can sway the missus to pass your app lol

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Frenzied Member

Well batting the auld eyelids does wonders....

On topic, if I get some spare time I might give this a look, a textbox with a few formatting properties like this would be a good project to work on.