Hello all,

This is not a question, but an FYI.

This may be old news to some of you, but for those that are not aware, if you have Windows 7, MS provides a free "Virtual PC" that runs "XP Mode" that you can download from the following site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

Once you set it up, you can run XP in a separate window from your Win 7 desktop (from my perspective, it feels like you are running "gotomypc" or VNC or something similar). Anyway, all your Win 7 drives and folders are automatically shared on the virtual XP box. Anyway, this makes it easy to install VS/VB6 - there are none of the headaches that I have seen reported by folks trying to install VS/VB6 on Vista or Win 7. I was able to install VS6, then SP 5, then I registered some other AX controls I use(d), and loaded up an old VB6 app, and it worked without a hitch.

It is true I was a VB6 holdout for longer than most, but I did move over to the "dark side" of .NET over 2 1/2 years ago and have not done any new VB6 development since then; however I still do have a fair number of VB6 apps to maintain. This is my first development box that runs an OS higher than XP (although I have tested VB6 apps on Vista boxes).

So I just wanted to share this with you, and recommend this option for those of you who need to run VS/VB6 on a Win 7 box. Again to reiterate, AFAIK, the "Virtual XP box" option is only available on Win 7 (not Vista).