Thread: [RESOLVED] how long it takes to querry 20000 records ?

Resolved [RESOLVED] how long it takes to querry 20000 records ?

Hi guys !

I'm working on a vb project with ms access database
    My database now has 10-20 records just for testing, but when i'll start working with the final vb project and inserting records, my database should come to 15000 ~ 20000 records

My question is how long it will take to get results after multiple select querrys ?

Has anyone got a similar application ? And what time should i expect to wait ?
    Becouse i dont want to wait minutes to open a form with querrys results.

Re: how long it takes to querry 20000 records ?

That is a loaded question? How are you searching? Are there indexes on the fields to ge searched? Is the database local or on a network? How much of the data is really being returned to the user? Are you performing wild card searchs? Are the wild card searches leading wildcards or only trailing wildcards?
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

-i have indexes on all my database tables
    -it will be a local network application
    -i think i dont use wild card searches (i realy dont know what this are , i should google )
    -on my every form i use arround 10 querrys like (insert, update and select)

now i know what wildcard means :
    http://www.w3schools.com/SQL/sql_wildcards.asp

no, i dont use wildcard searches

Time limit for the SQL implementation has not been much could it be a good pace so far did not see the query takes more than about 5 seconds, but if you want to work on databases give you the strong results and very fast you can use SQL Server Database

good luck
    Just Do It!

I'm not allowed to install sql server application on the network server machine, and i dont want to.

So i should expect no more then 5 sec to load my forms with 5-10 qerrys on 20000 records ?

why not .
    Just Do It!

Thread moved to 'Database Development' forum (the 'VB6' forum is only meant for questions which don't fit in more specific forums)

How long your queries will take depends on various things, and it is almost impossible to predict anywhere near accurately.

In addition to the things Gary asked, there are things like the amount of tables involved in each query, the work done by the query (such as the Where and Group By clauses etc), the amount of users who have a connection to the database at the time, and many more.

For an Access database I have on the local machine, with 3 main tables of 15000/100000/500000 records, queries take between 0.2 seconds and 300 seconds (depending on the complexity of the query, and amount of optimisation done to it).

As yours in on a network, it will be slower. If you have multiple users connected it will be slower still. Both of those issues can be reduced by using a server-based database system.