Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100% Customizable MenuStrip / ToolStrip / StatusStrip, including common presets

Re: 100% Customizable MenuStrip / ToolStrip / StatusStrip, including common presets

Thank you, Nick.

Re: 100% Customizable MenuStrip / ToolStrip / StatusStrip, including common presets

Wow! That's good!

I've always been looking for that stuff but I did not found thing... thanks

I know I shouldn't post questions in existing threads, but this only applies to the Customizable Strips code.

The problem I'm having pertains to using Customizable Strips and MDI forms. My limited knowledge of MDI apps tells me that when the child form is maximized, it's menu is merged with the parent's menu. Using the standard MenuStrips doesn't cause any problems. However, using the Customizable Strips the menus don't seem to merge at all. The first attached image shows what I mean (I boxed out sensitive information). The child form's title bar is not merged with the main form's menu bar.

The second attached image is a normal MDI app using the standard Menu Strips.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

PowerPoster

That menu on the first image doesn't look like a MenuStrip control, isn't it the old Menu or MenuBar control or something like that? I don't think you can merge MenuStrips and MenuBars.

If it is indeed a regular MenuStrip (eg: the only thing you changed is replacing the CustomizableMenuStrip with the regular MenuStrip on your child form) then I have no clue. The Customizable___ controls have hardly any custom code as you can see, I don't touch the merging capabilities at all, all I do is change their Renderer property on the fly.

Well I feel silly. When I changed the MenuStrip from standard to customizable, the MainMenuStrip property of the Parent Form was set to nothing. Setting this property to the CustomizableMenuStrip solved everything.

Hi Nick,

a question to you about CustomizableStatusstrip:
    when you choose the colorscheme black for instance then should be the forecolor of the texts in 'white'.
    How can I do that?...

Dietrich

PowerPoster

Not sure. If the ColorTables don't have any properties for the text forecolor than I'd say you can't force that color. You'd just have to set it for each 'control' on the strips manually (I think they should have a Forecolor property?).

Hello dear,
    I am having a problem while I try to add these files in a vb class library project and recieve a lot of errors like 'Error 101 Type 'Color' is not defined.
    ' . As i am a newbie in VB.Net and have no clue how to deal with these errors. M i missing something to add ? Can someone help me n this

I'd want to implement your AppearanceControl -it's nice, but when I set a form for your AppearaceEditor it requires a parameter (ap) (I downloaded CustomizableStripsLibrary.zip ). What does it mean and what must I do?
    Alex

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by RajaFaisal View Post
    Hello dear,
    I am having a problem while I try to add these files in a vb class library project and recieve a lot of errors like 'Error 101 Type 'Color' is not defined.
    ' . As i am a newbie in VB.Net and have no clue how to deal with these errors. M i missing something to add ? Can someone help me n this
    Most likely you don't have a reference to System.Drawing, which includes the System.Drawing.Drawing2D namespace in which the Color type exists. You mention a Class Library project which indeed by default does not have this reference, so all you need to do is add a reference to System.Drawing and then correct the errors by hovering over them (in the code editor, not the error list), clicking the little button that pops up and following the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by alexkn View Post
    I'd want to implement your AppearanceControl -it's nice, but when I set a form for your AppearaceEditor it requires a parameter (ap) (I downloaded CustomizableStripsLibrary.zip ). What does it mean and what must I do?
    Alex
    Not sure what you mean, what does "set a form for your AppearanceEditor" mean?

I do new Windows Form project and the first form of this project invokes another form (the frmAppearanceEditor ), but the last requires a parameter (ap).

PowerPoster

So you are trying to use the frmAppearanceEditor form manually, for your own use? Why? That form is used by the AppearanceControl when you open the Custom appearance property, it shows the preview and the property grid used to set the colors. You shouldn't use it for your own application.

Are you trying to allow your customers to customize the application themselves? If so, I might be able to find some help for you but simply using that form is not the way to go in this case I think, there's a lot of logic in there that involves the design-time serialization of the colors which you don't need during run-time.

Sorry for my misunderstanding. I thought this is a standalone application.
    That form is used by the AppearanceControl when you open the Custom appearance property, it shows the preview and the property grid used to set the colors.
    How can I use it? When I press a button with three dots (in property window) against of the Customappearance property of Appearance it happens nothing (previously I select in Appearance preset=custom)

PowerPoster

I'm not sure, if you drag an AppearanceControl to your form (in design-time) and then press the [...] button in the property grid for the CustomAppearance property, the editor as shown in the third screenshot (of the opening post) should show and you should be able to select your colors.

I do all as you say but...

Success! All I need - to compile the project.
    But the button "Save" doesn't work- gives an error. It text rather long but cuncludes with phrase "frmAppearanceEditor 93 line"
    this line is selected by red
    Code:
      Public Sub SaveAppearance(ByVal xmlFile As String, ByVal ac As AppearanceControl)
            Try
                Using fs As New FileStream(xmlFile, FileMode.Create, FileAccess.Write, FileShare.None)
                    Dim ser As New XmlSerializer(GetType(AppearanceControl.AppearanceProperties))
                    ser.Serialize(fs, ac.CustomAppearance)
                    fs.Close()
                End Using
            Catch ex As Exception
                MessageBox.Show(ex.ToString)
            End Try
        End Sub

Hi Nick,
    I try to use the ContextMenustrip.
    The situation:
    A MDI-Cildform with a Datagridview and I want to show the Contextmenustrip at Mousedownevent. The menu shows but not at mouseposition but rather in the left upper corner of the screen...

What's wrong?

Regards-
    Dietrich

PowerPoster

I doubt it has something to do with my custom ContextMenuStrip, because all it does is set the Renderer property. Try replacing it with a regular ContextMenuStrip and see if that does the same thing?

I do it this way now:
    Code:
    ctms.Show(New Point(Cursor.Position.X + Cursor.Size.Width / 2, _
                        Cursor.Position.Y + Cursor.Size.Height / 2))
    But the next problem is in designtime. The menustrip has thre items, each with an image. When I change an image then in runtime the strip shows the old image further on...

Dietrich

PowerPoster

That's not really the normal way to show a contextmenustrip, usually you use assign it to the ContextMenuStrip property of the control you want it to show for, and it will show on a right-click.

As for your image problem, I'm not sure. Try closing the form in the designer, saving the solution, closing Visual Studio and finally deleting the bin and obj folders from the project. Then open it again and Build the solution, that might fix it. But that's just speculation, it's the first thing you should try when you see some strange behavior like that.

Still, you didn't answer my most important question: does the same happen (for both problems) if you use a regular ContextMenuStrip instead of my custom one? If it does, then the problem is not my custom ContextMenuStrip.

Excuse me...

Also a 'normal' ContextMenustrip doesn't show the normal way, don't know why...
    But with my shown method all functions with CustomContextMenustrip, That's OK.

Dietrich

PowerPoster

Well, if the normal ContextMenuStrip doesn't behave as you want either then the problem is not my CustomContextMenuStrip. Perhaps you'd be better off posting the problem in the regular forum where you will get a lot more help. If it turns out to be a problem with my custom ContextMenuStrip I can take a look at it, but I doubt it.

Hi all,
    do you use the ReportViewer control (I use version 11.0) eventually?
    This control has a internal Toolstrip too! And you can adapt the AppearanceControl to this Toolstrip with the following code:
    Dim ts() As Control = ReportViewer1.Controls.Find("ToolStrip1", True)
    If Not IsNothing(ts) Then
    Dim tsItem As ToolStrip = DirectCast(ts(0), ToolStrip)
    With tsItem
    .AutoSize = True
    .RenderMode = ToolStripRenderMode.Professional
    .Renderer = AppearanceControl1.Renderer
    End With
    End If

Greetings-
    Dietrich

Quote Originally Posted by NickThissen View Post
    Most likely you don't have a reference to System.Drawing, which includes the System.Drawing.Drawing2D namespace in which the Color type exists. You mention a Class Library project which indeed by default does not have this reference, so all you need to do is add a reference to System.Drawing and then correct the errors by hovering over them (in the code editor, not the error list), clicking the little button that pops up and following the instructions.
    Hello Nick, I absolutely love the customizable strips, I am having the same issue as this user. I have added the appropriate references but it comes up with 102 errors... They vary from: 'Invalidate is not a member of CustomizableStrips.CustomizableMenuStrip', 'Type color is not defined' and 'Value of type CustomizableStrips.CustomizableToolStrip cannot be converted to Systems.Windows.Form.Control' What should I do? When hovering over the errors in the code editor, they suggest generating method stubs or classes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12