Thread: [RESOLVED] VB 2008 Link one combobox to another on datagridview

Fanatic Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] VB 2008 Link one combobox to another on datagridview

I have a datagridview for the transactions table. On the datagridview there is a combobox column for the type id field in the transactions table. This combobox displays the transaction type name from the transaction types table and puts the transaction type id into the transactions table. That much is okay. But each transaction type belongs to one of several categories. I have a categories table. The category id field in the transaction type record points to the id of the categories table. The category id is not in the transactions table, it is in the transactions types table. I need to know how to link the categories combo box on the datagridview to the category id in the transactions types combobox, which isn't even there right now. At present the transaction types combobox does not display the category id. It displays the transactions type name. Do I need to add another combobox to link the categories combo to the types combo?

I need to have it first and foremost so it will display the correct category when existing records are pulled up. I think I could do this with a join to the transactions type table in the categories combobox. But that wouldn't cause the transaction type combo to filter by category when a new entry is made.

Can someone advise as to the correct way to link comboboxes in this type of heirarchy?

I am using VB.NET 2008 and an Access database.

Fanatic Member

Re: VB 2008 Link one combobox to another on datagridview

Resolved, I think.