Thread: Windows Mobile 6.5 SDK and Client / Server solution.

Windows Mobile 6.5 SDK and Client / Server solution.

1. Does someone know how to install Windows Mobile 6.5 SDK and how to get a Windows Mobile 6.5 emulator, like the 6.1 that comes with VS2008?

Planing to develop a server application that have a Windows mobile client.

I would like to pass commands to the server app on a server that trigger some event. Both made with VB2008.
    The WM65 client sould communicate on wifi LAN/TCPIP like a normal PC.

I have never develop a client/server solution so does someone have links to some tutorial or tips on this. and/or Windows Mobile developmed in VB2008

Thanks in advance!

/Stefan

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

Re: Windows Mobile 6.5 SDK and Client / Server solution.

You'll need the Windows Mobile 6.5 SDK from here. You'll then have to choose between Professional or Standard. Professional = touch screen phones, Standard = those other ones. When you install it and then create a project and then code and run, you'll be given a choice between various emulators from Visual Studio. You select one, the emulator opens up and you can start testing.

Developing for WinMo with .NET is pretty much standard, but you run into 'quirks' along the way. I'd start off simple and then start searching or asking questions when something behaves in an unexpected way.

For your specific example, it's probably best to use an HttpWebRequest to talk to the server or maybe even a WCF service reference, with the WCF service on the server.

If you need it, I have an example of "dock-detect-dump" code if your device has a USB docking station hooked up to your server. This allows your server to detect when you dock your mobile device and transfer files between the two.

It relies on Microsoft ActiveSync though which can be slightly unreliable.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

Thanks for the reply

I have installed
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

but when I start VB2008 I don't have any new 6.5 sdk.. only sdk5 when i choose i new project?

any ideas?

Addicted Member Ashraf Alshahawy's Avatar

Hi skrantz71 ...

Although I'm a newbie in Windows Mobile Developing but I think this link will help you to

download Mobile SDK and Other stuff.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wind.../bb264327.aspx

I hope that helps.
    Some times when you make a step forward ...You can't get back. Be sure where you make your steps.

Jenner:

You stated that you have an example of "dock-detect-dump" code for a device using a USB docking station hooked up to a server. I am interested in seeing this example as I am needing that functionality on a current project.

TIA