Thread: [RESOLVED] Directly applying license for TrueDBGrid version 5....

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Directly applying license for TrueDBGrid version 5....

Hi all,

Hopefully this will not begin a philosophical discussion about bad decisions gone by!

My rather large size company has an application that hasn't been modified in quite a few years and it uses TrueDBGrid version 5. The installation media for this control has gone the way of the dinosaur and so has the developer who worked on this app for years before that.

What we have now is an old Windows 2000 computer that is the only one where development of the app can be done, due to it being the only one with the license installed for TrueDBGrid 5. We have access the grid's licenses/serial numbers for our firm, but since it seems the license is applied at install time, and we don't have the installation media, there is no way to migrate the development from this machine to others.

Upgrading the grid to version 8, while possible (we have licences for this as well), it is a complete last resort option due to budget/resource/testing constraints, and so I need to try and find a way to directly apply our TrueDBGrid V.5 license on another development machine.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
    -EM.
    ---
    REMEMBER: If your issue is resolved, use the Thread Tools menu to set it as such, and be sure to rate the posts that help you the most!

Just because I was jealous of g4hsean!

Re: Directly applying license for TrueDBGrid version 5....

Have you tried contacting the company that makes that grid?

I would think the license is only required in design mode and any existing compiled apps using the grid won't require a license since the license should be compiled into the app itself.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Addicted Member

Thumbs up Re: [RESOLVED] Directly applying license for TrueDBGrid version 5....

Great news!

We were able to pinpoint where the license resided on our old machine! We applied the registry entry to a new machine and all is solved!!!

LaVolpe: Thanks for the tip, but the problem really is that we may need to access the affected forms in design mode and would not be able to without the license. There would also be no way that the current owner of the makers of this grid would support this old a version. They'd simply tell us to upgrade, especially since we also already have a license for a more recent version.

Cheers.
    -EM
    ---
    REMEMBER: If your issue is resolved, use the Thread Tools menu to set it as such, and be sure to rate the posts that help you the most!

Just because I was jealous of g4hsean!

Re: [RESOLVED] Directly applying license for TrueDBGrid version 5....

hello,

I have nearly the same problem. I cannot install TrueDBGrid with my new windows-7-64bit operating system. the setup.exe seems to be a 16bit application. so my bought design-time-license cannot be used.....

do you remember, what you have done exactly in the registry to solve this issue? or do you maybe have some docs?

kind regards
    peter

Hello,
    I have the same problem with Win 7 64 bit. Can you say how and where I should place the license information of True DBGrid 5?

Best Regards,
    cip

Hi
    I have the same problem with TruedbGrid 5.0 and Windows 7 64 bit. When trying to get help from the present owner of the software all I get is that it don't work on win 64 bit. Please could someone help me out how to manually edit the registry
    Regards HÃ¥kan

Quote Originally Posted by emartinho View Post
    Great news!

We were able to pinpoint where the license resided on our old machine! We applied the registry entry to a new machine and all is solved!!!

LaVolpe: Thanks for the tip, but the problem really is that we may need to access the affected forms in design mode and would not be able to without the license. There would also be no way that the current owner of the makers of this grid would support this old a version. They'd simply tell us to upgrade, especially since we also already have a license for a more recent version.

Cheers.
    -EM
    I know this thread is ancient, but I'm pretty desperate at this point. What version of TrueDBGrid were you using? I have successfully resolved my issue for version 5 through the registry, but I cannot find any information on 6. If this was for any version other than 5, can you please share what you did to get this to work?

Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by OneRob View Post
    I know this thread is ancient, but I'm pretty desperate at this point. What version of TrueDBGrid were you using? I have successfully resolved my issue for version 5 through the registry, but I cannot find any information on 6. If this was for any version other than 5, can you please share what you did to get this to work?

Thank you in advance.
    Never mind.. I guess it would help if I read the title. Version 5. My apologies.

Hi there, I have the same problem now, the main PC is dying and I have to move the same license to another pc using registry trick. Can you please tell me which are the registry keys needed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emartinho View Post
    Great news!

Cheers.
    -EM

Hi All,

I had the same issue and resolved it with the help from this thread. Our legacy VB 6 application uses Apex True DBGrid Pro 5.0 (tdbg5.ocx) which was installed with license on XP. Now we needed to move the application to Windows 8.1. We first installed the application package which was packaged on XP long time back. This has enabled the tbdg5.ocx to be installed under C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder. We installed Visual Studio 6.0 on Windows 8.1 box which gave us VSS 6.0 and VB 6.0 etc.. We then moved the application source files from VSS 6.0 on XP to the VSS 6.0 on Windows 8.1. When Opened our application project file (.VBP) file, I could see the tdbg5.ocx under the components listed under Project. But when I started debugging, I got a message saying "The evaluation period will expire in 30 days" for the tdbg5.0. This is a licensing issue and I could see validity is only for 30 days.. After searching this thread, I found the solution that prompted me to get the license details from my XP box and register in the windows 8.1 Steps followed are as follows:
    - Locate the entry [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Licenses\2C2A9C80-7EF9-11d0-BA50-00A0247033C4] on XP
    - This contains the license details for tdbg5.0
    - Export this registry entry and create a file called say TDBG5_License.reg
    - Run this file on windows 8.1
    This has resolved my issue with license on windows 8.1.

I would like to buy a copy of TrueGrid version 6 7 or 8.