dcsimg

Thread: Solution With 2 Projects, But Same Codebase

Solution With 2 Projects, But Same Codebase

I have a solution that has project X in it. Project X needs to be OEM'd, so that means changing all of the assembly info (name, copyrights, icon, title, description, etc.). What's the best way to do this? I am assuming it would be to create a separate project that points to all of the same files and references, but can have its assembly info independent from Project X. If this is the case, what is the best way to do this? I tried just saving Project X as Project Y and adding it to the solution, BUT some changes made to the assembly info of Project X also change those in Project Y. There has to be a better way to handle this without manually duplicating the project right?

Re: Solution With 2 Projects, But Same Codebase

You may have to becasuse the settings you want to change aren't in the project file. They are in a file called AssemblyInfo.vb (hidden file under MyProject in the Solution Explorer - may have to "Show All Files" to see it)... What you might be able to do is have two copies of AssemblyInfo... swap them out as needed before compiling.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    You may have to becasuse the settings you want to change aren't in the project file. They are in a file called AssemblyInfo.vb (hidden file under MyProject in the Solution Explorer - may have to "Show All Files" to see it)... What you might be able to do is have two copies of AssemblyInfo... swap them out as needed before compiling.

-tg
    That's what I was afraid of. Would have thought that this was a more common request.

Not really. Any time I've run into that, the code base is also different, so the code is branched/forked and tracked separately. I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a case where the same code base needed to be tagged differently like this.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *