dcsimg

Thread: Buying MSDN subs online

Frenzied Member

Buying MSDN subs online

Hi guys,

I notice MS are selling their premium sub for MSDN for 2499.00USD. Given that I am in the euro zone I was wondering is that price applicable to me or are they going to make me pay 2499.00EUR instead for 1671.34EUR

Re: Buying MSDN subs online

Unless the Euro and the dollar are the same value I highly doubt you would have to pay the same for a product in euros as you would in dollars, etc. Short answer I reckon it would be yes because the value of the currency is different.
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Nov 16th, 2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: fixing spelling
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

MS sells at the exchange rate AFAIK.
    Stack Overflow
    See the features of Visual Studio 2010 and C# 4.0: The 10-4 show on Channel9

That's a nice thought Nightwalker83, but unfortunately US companies tend to ignore exchange rates for those of us on the other side of the pond.

However, when it comes to Microsoft it is rarely the case - and for MSDN subs the price in GBP seems to be about right for the exchange rate.

I couldn't find prices for Ireland on MSDN itself, but I suspect that you will have a decent price too. I recommend checking the prices from big companies like Amazon and Dabs (who are both authorised resellers).

Frenzied Member

Sigh, I found them, they are more or less the same as the US ones minus about a hundred euro even though the current exchange rate offers roughly about 1.40 euro to 1.00 dollar.

I was speaking to a friend and then another Irish developer who has started using the BizSpark program given that he cant find a job. Maybe I will look down that road after all I would rather use the 3 years to develop something I can sell rather than go to college just to get a bit of paper that say I can do what I have been saying all along.

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    That's a nice thought Nightwalker83, but unfortunately US companies tend to ignore exchange rates for those of us on the other side of the pond.
    It's a conspiracy! I don't see how US companies should be allowed to break the rules while presumably companies in other countries have to pay at the exchange rate. However, I understand what you mean because here in Australia we pay nearly $200 more for Win 7 here is proof.
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Nov 16th, 2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Unfortunately there aren't any rules - companies are allowed to sell products at whatever prices they like in each country, and to get the product you have to pay what they charge.

In terms of Win7 (just like with the XBox) there are differences in features for various regions, so it is reasonable that the prices should differ to some degree - how much is obviously debatable based on the features, and other details (including shipping costs, taxes, user support, etc).

On a similar note, I'm glad that the music industry in this country has reasonable prices now... for a while it was noticeably cheaper for me to buy CD's from the US (where price in $ was the same as the price over here), even with the much larger delivery cost, and a charge from my credit card for paying in a different currency.

Frenzied Member

Thats why I like to get my music on iTunes, given all there music is now DRM free its a great choice!