dcsimg

Thread: Database Bias?

Database Bias?

This is a comparison between the latest offering of SQL Server and the latest offering of Oracle.

Who sponsors these studies?

Quote Originally Posted by study
    The study is the baseline checklist of standard database administration tasks routinely performed, which are quantitatively and qualitatively compared in order to objectively determine, on a task-by-task basis, which product is superior. This is measured primarily in terms of ease of administration and secondarily (for certain tasks only) in terms of system speed of execution the wall clock time it takes for the system in question to complete a job once it has been submitted by a DBA.
    The conclusion from the study is the Oracle 11G is less expensive to maintain than SQL Server 2008.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Re: Database Bias?

Who sponsors these things? Usually some group that typically has a bias towards one or the other. I'm too lazy to enter my login info (mostly because I'm too lazy to try and remember what my login info is)... so I couldn't read the article. But I would suspect that who ever did this study was probably leaning towards Oracle to begin with.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Those sorts of things seem to be thinly veiled advertising to me rather than helpful in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Who sponsors these things? Usually some group that typically has a bias towards one or the other. I'm too lazy to enter my login info (mostly because I'm too lazy to try and remember what my login info is)... so I couldn't read the article. But I would suspect that who ever did this study was probably leaning towards Oracle to begin with.

-tg
    In the above case the group responsible is "The Edison Group". Yes, it is always better to start a report like that with no bias, a clean slate. That way you will be able to include more information on all the products you are researching without sounding as though you ean one way or the other.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

The way these reports usually seem to work is that a group is paid to analyze a specific area by the company that knows it will come out on top in that area. It isn't bias as much as it is they are reporting their findings on just what they were paid to look at. Say for example you have a product that competes with another. You know for sure the usability of the ui of yours is WAY better than the competitor ut perhaps the competitors overall speed is better. Well then you would pay someone like Gartner to do a study of the usability between the 2 products and the speed comparison would not be mentioned.
    Stack Overflow
    See the features of Visual Studio 2010 and C# 4.0: The 10-4 show on Channel9

Quote Originally Posted by Cander View Post
    The way these reports usually seem to work is that a group is paid to analyze a specific area by the company that knows it will come out on top in that area. It isn't bias as much as it is they are reporting their findings on just what they were paid to look at.
    It is the same case here! You can find a list of the clients under "Clients" on the above linked to website. Yes, Microsoft and Oracle are two or their clients no surprises there.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Quote Originally Posted by Cander View Post
    ...and the speed comparison would not be mentioned.
    That's one of the reasons I also had a look at these guys.
    "Feel the force...read the source..."
    Utilities: POPFile DebugView Process Explorer Wireshark KeePass UltraVNC Pic2Ascii
    .Net tools & open source: DotNetNuke log4Net CLRProfiler
    My open source projects: Thales Simulator EFT Calculator System Info Reporter VSS2SVN IBAN Functions
    Customer quote: "If the server has a RAID array, why should we bother with backups?"
    Programmer quote: "I never comment my code. Something that is hard to write should be impossible to comprehend."
    Ignorant quote: "I have no respect for universities, as they teach not practicle stuff, and charge money for"