dcsimg

Thread: Simple Source Code Control

Frenzied Member

Simple Source Code Control

Hi Guys,

As my projects get bigger I am beginning to understand the need for source control. What I am looking for is the simplest way to manage this. I do not what a big product, just something simple and effective.

Any recommendations?

I use VS2008 prof edition but currently and testing 2010 and would like source control there too if I can.

Re: Simple Source Code Control

VSS is pretty easy to use and it integrates with VS as well.

www.codeplex.com for 2010 since you will be able to use Team Explorer with 2010 Pro without having to purchase the outrageously expensive Team Edition and Codeplex provides Team Foundation Server support

or

http://code.google.com/projecthosting/ now and use Ankh http://ankhsvn.open.collab.net/ to integrate with VS

All the above are free.
    Stack Overflow
    See the features of Visual Studio 2010 and C# 4.0: The 10-4 show on Channel9

Frenzied Member

Thanks guys, Cander which one would you recommend?

I have only used Google Code with XCode on my Mac but have been pleased with it. You can make the project private and it has a good web interface to view your code anywhere. CodePlex I have no actual experience with.
    Stack Overflow
    See the features of Visual Studio 2010 and C# 4.0: The 10-4 show on Channel9

The down side of CodePlex is that it is intended for OpenSource projects:
    Quote Originally Posted by From_CodePlex_FAQ
    What are the requirements for hosting a project on CodePlex?
    Your project must meet the following criteria:

1. You must choose a license for your project (license resources: Open Source License page on Wikipedia)
    2. It must be an ongoing project (no "abandoned" projects)
    3. It must have source code (no non-software projects)

If you discover a project which is not complying with these requirements, please report it using the contact us form.

What licenses does CodePlex support?
    Project coordinators can select from a list of the following OSI licenses: Apache License 2.0, Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL), Eclipse Public License (EPL), GNU General Public License (GPL) v2, GNU Library General Public License (LGPL), Microsoft Public License (Ms-PL), Microsoft Reciprocal License (Ms-RL), Mozilla Public License 1.1 (MPL), New BSD License, and The MIT License. If your project requires a license that is not on the list, you can request a custom license using the contact us form.
    -tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I would definitely recommend SVN for both simple and complicated projects. You'd need to use a free SVN server like this and a free SVN client like this. If you want something free to integrate SVN into Visual Studio as well, try this.
    "Feel the force...read the source..."
    Utilities: POPFile DebugView Process Explorer Wireshark KeePass UltraVNC Pic2Ascii
    .Net tools & open source: DotNetNuke log4Net CLRProfiler
    My open source projects: Thales Simulator EFT Calculator System Info Reporter VSS2SVN IBAN Functions
    Customer quote: "If the server has a RAID array, why should we bother with backups?"
    Programmer quote: "I never comment my code. Something that is hard to write should be impossible to comprehend."
    Ignorant quote: "I have no respect for universities, as they teach not practicle stuff, and charge money for"

Since you just want a simple to use source control, just use the VSS. Nothing funky and integrates into your visual studio environment. It is adequate for what you need.
    Pradeep, Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Please appreciate posts that have helped you by clicking icon on the left of the post.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." Charles F. Kettering

Read articles on My Blog 101 LINQ Samples JSON Validator XML Schema Validator "How Do I" videos on MSDN VB.NET and C# Comparison Good Coding Practices VBForums Reputation Saver String Enum Super Simple Tetris Game

(2010-2013)
    NB: I do not answer coding questions via PM. If you want my help, then make a post and PM me it's link. If I can help, trust me I will...