dcsimg

Thread: XBAP VS Silverlight

Hyperactive Member BadgerBadger's Avatar

XBAP VS Silverlight

Would you ever consider creating XBAP applications even though Silverlight exists?

The FAQ on xbap.org says that they are used for creating heavyweight .NET applications specific to Windows, whereas Silverlight has the portability and and does not require the .NET Framework (although most systems have it installed anyway).
    I seem to see Silverlight applications quite a bit but I have never run in to XBAPs.

Although there still seems to be a reason to use XBAPs, has anyone here made the transition to Silverlight, or should I say not made the transition to Silverlight?
    "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."

Re: XBAP VS Silverlight

If I needed to write something that requires the full .NET framework to run on a client, and be loaded easily from a website I would write a full blown client application and use ClickOnce deployment.
    Stack Overflow
    See the features of Visual Studio 2010 and C# 4.0: The 10-4 show on Channel9

You know I was wondering this exact same thing the other day. The only advantage Silverlight seems to have on a Windows platform is that it is a smaller install... but its an install still, and to me it doesnt really matter how big an install is (as long as it isn't ridiculous). I dont think that smaller install is worth it for the amount of things you cant do in Silverlight when compared to a full trust XBAP but maybe that's just me. I guess I thinking more from a business point of view though - I mean I am saying an installation's size doesnt matter but I guess to your average home user that just wants to view some pretty content on a website, 10 MB or whatever silverlight is will be much more appealing than 100 + MB for .NET 3.5 (but with the Client Profile its only about 25 MB supposedly)
    My free .NET Windows API library (Version 2.2 Released 12/06/2011)

Blog: cjwdev.wordpress.com
    Web: www.cjwdev.co.uk

Hyperactive Member BadgerBadger's Avatar

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

It seems XBAP isn't as outdated as I thought.
    "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."