dcsimg

Thread: Reading 2 bytes from RS232

Reading 2 bytes from RS232

Hi,

I am sending 2 bytes continuously from a RS232 to my PC. First I send F and then G... However I don't know how to read both the characters in Visual Basic. I js used strBuffer = MSComm1.Input and I get some weird symbol and a ?. That is if I run in debug mode. Otherwise, I only get the weird symbol. Can someone help me solve this problem? Thanks.

z_jun

Mars base one Username: Jim Davis Password: yCrm33

Re: Reading 2 bytes from RS232

if you harvest the inputs into a string, there vb might tries to convert the input as to unicode, resulting the unwanted '?' symbols are displayed, because the received bytes are meant to be 16bit values. however, if you just set the InputMode to comInputModeText the received data will be hexadecimal representation of the input, so it can be shown in the immediate window, or anywhere else on the form.

a second workaround could be is to declare a byte array, set the InputMode to comInputModeBinary, then get the input into this array. then, you can assign this array to the string by using the StrConv() method, that it will make a unicode (16bit) representation of this byteflow, that you can store in a string for displayings and such.

Code:
      Redim bArray(MSComm1.InputLen-1) as Byte
      bArray = MSComm1.Input
      strBuffer = StrConv(bArray, vbUnicode)
    hope it helps, i can't test it.

hmm...my problem is the the RS232 sends byte by byte...so when I have strbuffer = MSComm1.Input...I"m not sure if it reads one byte or both the bytes I'm trying to receive...

Mars base one Username: Jim Davis Password: yCrm33

switch to comInputModeText there you can find out how it is actually sends the data. printing out binary content is not a good idea, because some of the characters are not displayed correctly.

if you just receive 'random' content, probably you also have to setup the .Settings property too, to make it suitable for the input.

have solved it already...had to make sure the baud rates were equal...thanks...