This project should be useful as a utility and also as a source of sample code for using Mailslots in VB6 programs. The Mailslot.ctl in this Project should prove usuable for most simple applications of Mailslots in VB6. Just copy Mailslot.ctl and Mailslot.ctx to your Project folder and then use Add file... to add the control.
Full source is provided here.
Precompiled binary files were scanned with AVG Free 8.5 and should prove virus-free. They may currently be downloaded as LANegram.msi (1.3MB). See updated version below before downloading this one. Size limitations prevent the installer from being attached here.
Right or wrong, the Windows Messenger Service was victimized as being vulnerable to "messenger spam." I suspect that users and the press confused the Windows Messenger Service with IM applications such as MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger. In any case the Messenger Service is gone starting with Vista and disabled under later Windows XP Service Packs.
People have been advised to use the MSG utility instead of NET SEND in order to send alerts within intranets. This can be problematic since MSG is part of Terminal Services (and its subset Remote Desktop) which is not present in all editions of Windows and may even be disabled on versions and editions of Windows that have it.
Nonetheless many people relied on using NET SEND for putting out different kinds of administrative alerts, and they need an alternative. Home and small business users trying to use Vista or Windows 7 Home editions in particular are left with no out of box solution. LANegram is one attempt at a replacement for NET SEND and the Messenger Service.
- Command line Send.exe for sending broadcast or directed messages to users on the LAN.
- Tray application LANegram.exe monitors and displays incoming alerts.
- Supports alternate channels for subgroup messaging.
- Incoming alerts produce a tray popup balloon.
- Individual users can temporarily suppress balloons if engaged in a task this might disturb.
- Double-clicking the tray icon brings up a window displaying a list of recently received alerts.
- /NOEXIT switch can be used to suppress the Exit menu choice from the tray icon's menu.
- LANegram can still be exited via "End Process" or Ctrl-X while the GUI window has focus.
- Precompiled binary supplied as a Windows Installer package.
The enclosed precompiled binary uses Microsoft-built VB6 SP6 merge modules for its dependencies. It should run properly on all supported versions of Windows: Windows 2000 and later. Tested on XP SP3, Vista SP2, and Windows 7 RC.
Unencumbered public domain freeware. May be used by anyone in whole or in part in either source or binary forms. No guarantees or support offered. LANegram is made available as-is for use at your own discretion.
A serious attempt has been made to debug the LANegram package but errors may still exist.