Thread: Windows 7 - Calc.exe

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

Windows 7 - Calc.exe

So finally the windows calculator got a bit of a makeover for Windows 7. The calc has pretty much existed in Windows forever with very little in the way of changes because I guess well, it is just a calculator after all.

However the changes are pretty cool in Windows 7, and it even has a "programmer" mode now, which can do things like show you binary representations of entered values, do xor, or, mod, and not, type math logic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Re: Windows 7 - Calc.exe

Does it do RPN?

Like hell it does.

This shameless plug brought to you by Wossname.
    I don't live here any more.

Microsoft didn't want to get sued by you

When I was in college, I invested in a Hewlett Packard 48GX calculator that is RPN. I got so thoroughly addicted to using it, I can't use a non RPN calculator anymore. My saving grace was I found a slick little emulation program called EMU48 which after you dump the ROMs from your HP48 via the handy serial cable that came with it, lets you run an emulation of the machine in Windows. The end result? Here's my Windows calculator :

Name:  HP48.png
Views: 684
Size:  26.4 KB

Which reminds me, I still gotta install it on my Windows 7 machine.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

I like Forward Polish Notation myself. FPN
    Make as many mistakes as you can as quickly as you can. We want to make sure that we make a great enough number of mistakes in a given amount of time so that we can be successful.

"Persistence is the magic of success." Paramahansa Yogananda

Quote Originally Posted by kleinma View Post
    So finally the windows calculator got a bit of a makeover for Windows 7. The calc has pretty much existed in Windows forever with very little in the way of changes because I guess well, it is just a calculator after all.

However the changes are pretty cool in Windows 7, and it even has a "programmer" mode now, which can do things like show you binary representations of entered values, do xor, or, mod, and not, type math logic.
    It's missing the ribbon, I mean come on MS Paint got a ribbon...
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

I really never use a mouse when using calc, so I don't know what good a ribbon would really do. alt + 1 through 4 cycles through the various different modes.

I have an emulator of an HP 41CX for Windows. On my PPC I use Math-U-Pro which emulates an HP programmable.

I can't use a "regular" calculator either ... got too used to RPN back in the ... well, awhile ago!

-Max
    The name's "Peck" .... "Max Peck"

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." - Red Adair

Fanatic Member

you do realize calc.exe already does that in vista and XP right? This is nothing new, unless I'm missing something? (View-Scientific Setting)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Where I'm from we only have one bit of advice for new comers: "If you hear banjos, turn and run".

VS 2008 .NetFW 2.0

I thought that was the case with Vista and before.

Anyways, I doubt anyone would move over to Windows 7 over the calculator program.

As far as I know, the calc has had that functionality since the beginning. I've been using it for trying out binary things and hex-binary-dec conversions for as long as I can remember. Possibly back to Windows95, and surely by 98.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I've never used a Windows calculator before. Wasn't really aware of it. I just looked at the Vista calc and thought well that's pretty basic but then saw that you can click on View and choose between Standard and Scientific. Looks pretty cool. Still haven't upgraded to Windows 7 yet but will do it soon. Functionality of the Vista scientific calc looks pretty much the same as the one in Post # 1 except for the stuff you see in the lower left where you see Qword, Dword, etc.
    Last edited by EntityX; Oct 22nd, 2009 at 01:42 AM.
    Make as many mistakes as you can as quickly as you can. We want to make sure that we make a great enough number of mistakes in a given amount of time so that we can be successful.

"Persistence is the magic of success." Paramahansa Yogananda

The "Standard" and "Scientific" views of the windows calculator has been like that since windows 3.1 (or earlier) and it wasn't changed at all until Win7

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

I just got back from the Windows 7 launch party in NYC with Steve Ballmer. Was a pretty good event. Plus I got a free Windows 7 Ultimate Steve B Signature Edition

I just got back from the Windows 7 launch party in NYC with Steve Ballmer. Was a pretty good event. Plus I got a free Windows 7 Ultimate Steve B Signature Edition
    Did they cover everything mentioned here?

It was exactly like that.

Man, wish Steve Ballmer was at my launch party... you just hang with the cool kids I guess

At least I also got a free copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

The event I was at was nearly 50% or more press, and I think the rest were MVPs.

Fanatic Member

Wish I had the image but I've seen that Burger King's in Japan are selling a 7 Patty Whopper as a promotion for the Win 7 launch. MMM Total daily intake of calories in one burger here we come!
    Where I'm from we only have one bit of advice for new comers: "If you hear banjos, turn and run".

VS 2008 .NetFW 2.0

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I have an actual calculator. I'm so retro.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

If only the Windows calculator had a finger couting mode... I would use that all the time.

If only the Windows calculator had a finger couting mode... I would use that all the time.
    It's really good to hear I'm not the only programmer (10+ years) who still counts on my fingers.