Thread: Google Wave

Google Wave

I am a nice person that wants a Google Wave invite, so if anyone can provide one I will happily send you an invite to Google Mail *sniggers*.

Happy Christmas

Re: Google Wave

Same. I am fiending for that crack cocaine... I mean... err... Google Wave.

GIMME NAO!

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

I don't live here any more.

There are no invites. You sign up and you get invited by Google. Do you know someone at Google?
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

People who access to the service get 8 invites (eventually), I know at least 15 people on Wave, some of which will soon get 8 invites... perhaps one for me

Quote Originally Posted by wossname View Post

i got an invite today to google wave. i decided to try it out, but i have nobody to talk to.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'

Why do you want an invite to google wave? Isnt it just essentially an online instant messenger that sends text as you type rather than after you hit send? Sounds pretty naff to me... but maybe it has some other useful features I dont know about
    My free .NET Windows API library (Version 2.2 Released 12/06/2011)

Blog: cjwdev.wordpress.com
    Web: www.cjwdev.co.uk

PowerPoster

It does have some other useful features. It looks pretty good actually but I don't see many people using it, in which case it's pretty useless.

The nice thing is that you can edit the conversations anywhere. You can also reply to a certain part of the message, which inserts a new conversation right in the middle of the old one. You can also make a private reply to someone, in which case it shows up as a normal conversation for both of you, but it's hidden for anyone else.
    So instead of instant messaging, where you have only a single thread of conversation, or email, where you have to create a completely new conversation, independent from the old one, if you want to 'branch off', you have everything in a single 'wave' or document.

Then you can use it to work on documents with many people simultaneously. Anyone can edit the conversation (which is now seen as a document) wherever they want, even on the same line. In the end you'll have loads of broken up pieces of conversation, which you can then merge together into one document.

Also, you can rewind everything to see who made which edit and when. And then you can undo it if you want.

You can also embed pictures and videos I think. And you can embed the wave into your blog, in which case it is updated live for everyone to see.

If there's loads of users it would be very cool, but unless they're going to do some serious campaigns nobody is going to even know about it...

I have 12 more invites. It takes about a week for google to activate your wave account. If anyone wants an invite, please send me your google mail address.

Thanks for the invite abhijit!

Quote Originally Posted by chris128 View Post
    Why do you want an invite to google wave? Isnt it just essentially an online instant messenger that sends text as you type rather than after you hit send? Sounds pretty naff to me... but maybe it has some other useful features I dont know about
    So we are getting faster and faster with this communication thing? Pretty soon, you won't have to type at all. In fact, you'll just be able to say the words, and the other person will receive them as you speak them. Won't that be cool?

Once we get there, people will be able to branch the conversation off into all kinds of different directions until you will need a second computer just to figure out all the different threads people are off on. That sounds just spiffy to me.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

you'll just be able to say the words, and the other person will receive them as you speak them. Won't that be cool?
    I am still waiting for when i can just think the words, and people will receive them as i think, and if i think really hard there heads will explode.... oh wait ...
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Wow, you mean the other person sees the text as I type it? I haven't seen that kind of technology since my Commodore 64.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

It get's better Jenner, you can also edit other peoples posts... I haven't seen that kind of breach in permissions since VisualAd was a moderator :O

Quote Originally Posted by NickThissen View Post
    It does have some other useful features. It looks pretty good actually but I don't see many people using it, in which case it's pretty useless.

The nice thing is that you can edit the conversations anywhere. You can also reply to a certain part of the message, which inserts a new conversation right in the middle of the old one. You can also make a private reply to someone, in which case it shows up as a normal conversation for both of you, but it's hidden for anyone else.
    So instead of instant messaging, where you have only a single thread of conversation, or email, where you have to create a completely new conversation, independent from the old one, if you want to 'branch off', you have everything in a single 'wave' or document.

Then you can use it to work on documents with many people simultaneously. Anyone can edit the conversation (which is now seen as a document) wherever they want, even on the same line. In the end you'll have loads of broken up pieces of conversation, which you can then merge together into one document.

Also, you can rewind everything to see who made which edit and when. And then you can undo it if you want.

You can also embed pictures and videos I think. And you can embed the wave into your blog, in which case it is updated live for everyone to see.

If there's loads of users it would be very cool, but unless they're going to do some serious campaigns nobody is going to even know about it...
    Sounds like a wiki on steroids....

Not sure it's something I'd use.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

i got invited... and i must say it is really boring.

You're really boring *oh snap!*

I agree with dclamp. Unless you actually need it for doing project-related work which involves a lot of communication and lots of information flowing between lots of people, I really don't think this is something to get excited about yet.

But then again, it is the preview. And there is probably like 3/5 people who use Google Wave actively. Not exactly squee material for productivity nerds right now.