Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Email Questions

Re: Email Questions

Yahoo doesnt require SSL
    My free .NET Windows API library (Version 2.2 Released 12/06/2011)

Blog: cjwdev.wordpress.com
    Web: www.cjwdev.co.uk

what is the yahoo host/port? Thanks a ton for everyone's help btw :] il report back once i have the host/port on the details of how to make this work.

EDIT: now its giving me this error when i use these credentials;

Hostop.mail.yahoo.ca
    Port:110
    Error:At first, it opened a dialog looking for Indy.Sockets.IdIOHandler.pas
    Now it just says connection closed gracefully...
    Last edited by manbearpig001; Oct 20th, 2009 at 07:42 PM.

Frenzied Member

From post #7
    My program isnt going to keep memory of the entire inbox, but when it receives one, it passes it, and if it contains commands in the body, such as shut down or other key phrases that i define, it will carry out specified commands, like shut down the computer.
    Why not resolve this using winsock or ftp?

show me how to use a cellphone to send a txt message to a winsock or ftp server and i will consider it, but for as far as i know, it isnt possible is it?

Well, it seems Yahoo! only supplies POP3 access to Plus! accounts (paid):

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...op/pop-30.html

We're quickly running out of options...lol.
    Short of doing the whole SSL thing, which I wouldn't even know where/how to begin with that.

And I have yet to make any progress with that IMAP API and getting it to where I can download email messages after I make a valid connection to my Google accounts.
    If I could just get an answer from the people I've emailed regarding this stuff, I could possibly make some progress...lol
    Last edited by Seraph; Oct 21st, 2009 at 09:16 AM.

Visual Studio 2010 Professional | .NET Framework 4.0 | Windows 7

SERYSOFT.COM :: SysPad - Folder Management Program - Please comment HERE if you find this program useful, have ideas, or know of any bugs.
    [Very useful for IT/DP departments where many folders are consistently accessed. Also contains a scratchpad window for quick access to notes.]

[.NET and MySQL Quick Guide]

yeah... wait what about txting aim clients... doesn't aim have some sort of a cellphone option? maybe we should look into that?

What do you mean exactly?
    What is your line of thinking on that?

SERYSOFT.COM :: SysPad - Folder Management Program - Please comment HERE if you find this program useful, have ideas, or know of any bugs.
    [Very useful for IT/DP departments where many folders are consistently accessed. Also contains a scratchpad window for quick access to notes.]

well im saying if we could figure out how to clone an aim client, we could figure out how to send messages to a custom client. If we knew this, we could set up our own server, and use winsock as our server to client relationship, and use a cellphone to send a txt to say computerip@port... just an idea, probably wouldnt work.

That's beyond me for sure. lol
    Would need someone else's help on that one.

haha alright well im going to keep investigating this project, both in emails and in winsock. if you find anything out, or if anyone else has anything to add, il be checking this thread every once in a while.

ok..id be interesting in what you find as well. i'd help but i've got some of my own little projects im working on

well now what im going to try to do is set up my own mail server, then, use my phone to send an email to the server, and have a program running, and when my server receives an email, it sends a message over to my program or something. any ideas on how i could notify my program? maybe write a txt file in a specified folder? and have a timer running, checking if its there, and if it is, open it, and read the text or something? (text would be email)

What do you mean by "set up my own mail server" - you mean write your own program that receives SMTP messages or do you mean just install some existing email server software (like Microsoft Exchange Server - that would be massively overkill but just an example) ?

Here at my job one of my clients sends us files, and when an email comes to Outlook saying the file has arrived, we have rules setup in Outlook, that, based on what is in the Subject line, different executables will be run. Of course, with that, you would have to have a separate executable that only addresses a single task; not a single program waiting for incoming mail messages and acts accordingly.

You could have that executable check for specific command line arguments passed in to it and then (assuming Outlook will let you specify the EXE with command line args as well) you would have your Outlook rule look for different words in the message and depending which it finds it calls the EXE with different command line arguments

True. Didn't think about that.
    Wonder if that's possible.

I just had a look and in Outlook 2003 I dont think you can specify any command line arguments if you use the "Start an Application" action in your rule

Yup. Can't in 2007 either. Only lets you select a single executable.
    Isn't there an Outlook API?
    Or does VB.NET have anything "built-in" or by referencing some Outlook assemblies that come with Office (like you can for Excel, etc) that can accomplish this maybe?

Or... your program itself could check the messasge and from there, do the specified command. This way, outlook only has to be able to open the program itself, and once the program is open, it looks through the body of the email, runs the command, then closes.

but then you have got to get your program to be able to read emails from Outlook and I thought that was what you were trying to avoid?

So have you gone off the "create your own email server" idea now?

my goal is to create a program that runs commands when i txt a certain address with my phone. my own email server was just an idea.

Have you got your own domain? I dont think there is any way you could use your own email server without having your own domain, because you would need to point the MX records for that domain to whatever your external IP address is for the emails to actually end up hitting your computer.

To be honest I think trying to use an email for this kind of thing is going to be pretty tricky... although I'm afraid I dont really have any better suggestions at the moment..

I don't either. Too bad jm hasn't chimed in or kleinma or hack or someone. lol

well I do have a domain, but it isnt exactly what i was intending to do. Il mess around with outlook a little, but i hate relying on other programs to get things done...

I figured out the whole IMAP thing I was working on for downloading emails from Gmail accounts.

I have successfully made a connection and finally been able to download emails.

Which means you can have a custom program that checks GMail for new emails, reacts accordingly to the Subject line (or message body or whatever) and then can like delete the email or set it as Read or whatever.

If you want me to pass along the code and tell you where to get the API, let me know.

please! haha howd u figure it out??

can you please post the code on this thread so that viewers can use it as well?

Thanks so much for the help man.

Yup. I'll try to remember to do it tonight.
    I'm not near my laptop and all the code is on there.

hah i found ur post. thanks for your help man! i got it all to work. now im just adding commands and memory etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12