Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Email Questions

Hybrid View

Email Questions

Hey everyone!

My latest project requires both sending and receiving emails.

Now i know how to send emails using a gmail account, but what im having incredible difficulty with, is accepting emails. What i want, is to have a program that both has the ability to send emails, and capture emails being sent to the logged in user, and place them in an inbox list. I was wondering if anyone knew how to receive emails with a program, even temporarily, so that when an email is sent to the user, my program knows about it, and can take the body from the email, and place it in say a textbox.

My idea is simple. My end product will have the ability to receive emails, and i will search through them, and if the body of the email contains key words like, 'open internet' then, i will have my program start the default web browser.

My hope for this, is to be able to text my email these key words to remotely command my computer.

It may seem like a difficult task, but it would be very simple if i could just figure out how to catch incoming emails.

Re: Email Questions

The .NET Framework has inbuilt support for sending email because it's very common for applications to have to send email notifications. Pretty much everyone has their own email client though, so the need for another application to receive email is a rare thing indeed. As such there is no support for it in the Framework. You'll have to implement it yourself at a low level or else configure an email client for your chosen address and automate that.

Assuming your email provider gives you POP3 access to your mailbox, you can try to use something like this to retrieve the emails from it: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=584895

EDIT: Posted the wrong link, I actually meant this one: http://www.codeproject.com/kb/IP/POP...hadZHower.aspx
    Last edited by chris128; Oct 14th, 2009 at 08:06 AM.
    My free .NET Windows API library (Version 2.2 Released 12/06/2011)

Blog: cjwdev.wordpress.com
    Web: www.cjwdev.co.uk

im sorry i dont know what POP3 is. care to explain? :]

hmm... problem with setting up a server/client relationship with emailing, is it seems somewhat unnecessary. Tell me if im wrong, but couldn't i just use an already known port for gmail or something like that??

If i cannot, please give me any suggestions you have on how to listen on that port for emails, then have the access to that email, and be able to read the body of text.

Thanks for the reply's

Fanatic Member

Check this link for an idea of POP3.
    "In our profession, precision and perfection are not a dispensable luxury, but a simple necessity."
    Niklaus E. Wirth

Rate any post that helped you, it's a good way of saying thanks
    Please specify your Visual Studio Version!

Why rating is useful

My Code Bank Submissions: How to determine Windows Version| Working With Mouse Events | Blocking Input Using API | Get host's IP | Minimize to system tray "animated" | Colored ListBox (custom fonts, colors, highlight) Updated -New Class! | [VS 2008] Strong encryption and hashing class - Updated! 31/August/2009 | Create a shortcut using IWshRuntimeLibrary

If you don't understand SMTP/POP3 you probably shouldn't be attempting something like this straight away.

reading your e-mails is not listening on a port.

I mean when you say catching e-mails.. it sounds like you're trying to write your own SMTP mailserver or something... but you're talking of a gmai laccount so actually you want to use POP3 to connect to your inbox, but you'd probably be safer writing or using an email client plugin, because you're going to run into trouble where e-mails get deleted from the inbox by either your program or the users email client unless u ensure theyre both set to leave a copy of emails on the server for an amount of time.

I strongly suggest you do some research on POP3 and SMTP before you proceed, then you can make an informed decision and know what to expect and how to design this software better.

Thanks for the link and the tips both of you.
    My idea was to research everything that you guys throw at me. :] so thanks for some ideas.
    My program isnt going to keep memory of the entire inbox, but when it receives one, it passes it, and if it contains commands in the body, such as shut down or other key phrases that i define, it will carry out specified commands, like shut down the computer.

Will POP3 allow me to connect to gmail's inbox, and only read the most recent email, based on a timer, and only read it if it has not read it before? is this possible? or so complicated that its worth finding another way to carry out this task.

Firstly for gmail i think you have to enable POP3 access http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...n&answer=13273

Secondly, yes, all that should be possible.

Why would you want to only read the most recent email on a timer though, what if two emails come in before your timer fires again?

if i have a timer constantly running, it could check to see if a new email is in place, and if it is, read it. if two emails come at the same time, i suppose that would be the flaw in my idea.

And other ideas on how i could catch/read the emails other than a timer?

I don't see why you can't read all new e-mails each time your timer runs. why just the first? you can either use the read/unread status of the mail message itself or as any client sdo, record the message id somewhere, you know you've dealth with that message.

yeah that may work. First i guess i have to learn all about POP3.. its already in the framework right? like i dont have to download any dll files or anything? probably just references? or imports?

Quote Originally Posted by manbearpig001 View Post
    yeah that may work. First i guess i have to learn all about POP3.. its already in the framework right? like i dont have to download any dll files or anything? probably just references? or imports?
    Read post #2, keeping in mind that SMTP is the protocol used to send email and POP3 is used to receive it.

yeah i need to receive the emails, so i need to use POP3, and in post # 2 you only told me that sending emails is built into the framework. do i need to import POP3 in order to read emails?

Quote Originally Posted by manbearpig001 View Post
    yeah i need to receive the emails, so i need to use POP3, and in post # 2 you only told me that sending emails is built into the framework. do i need to import POP3 in order to read emails?
    There's no support for POP3 in the Framework. You need to either implement it yourself at a low-level or else get a pre-built component from somewhere else. I'm not aware of any free ones. There was one written in C# available a few years ago but that went commercial so I guess they decided that the amount of work that had gone into it was worthy of recompense.

I posted the wrong link in my earlier post (shame on me for not noticing).
    I have edited it now, take a look at the link in there and see if it helps.

what do u mean by impliment it at a low level by myself? any tuts on how to do this?? and could i use winsock or something to read emails? or messages being sent from my cellphone?

Are my posts invisible?

Quote Originally Posted by chris128 View Post
    Are my posts invisible?
    Only to those asking for help apparently. I'm now aware of a free one.

Here is an opensource C#-based API for accessing IMAP.
    Koolwired IMAP API
    It's a DLL that you will have to set references to.

Google has IMAP.
    So far, I have figured out how to successfully connect to my gmail account (works with Google Apps as well).
    The only problem I am now having is that I can't figure out how to retrieve emails. lol.

I have found absolutely no documentation and the company has not responded to an email I sent them regarding how to retrieve emails.

Code:
            'Specify connection to IMAP server
            Dim gSession As New Koolwired.Imap.ImapConnect("imap.gmail.com", 993, True)
            'Specify Authentication information
            Dim gAuthenticate As New Koolwired.Imap.ImapAuthenticate(gSession, <email>, <password>)

Try
                gSession.Open()
                gAuthenticate.Login()

gAuthenticate.Logout()
                gSession.Close()
            Catch ex As Exception
                MessageBox.Show(ex.ToString)
            End Try
    There is an example "Test" project included, but I tried to duplicate the code in VB and modify as needed, but still couldn't get it to work quite right.
    Last edited by Seraph; Oct 15th, 2009 at 11:46 AM.

Visual Studio 2010 Professional | .NET Framework 4.0 | Windows 7

SERYSOFT.COM :: SysPad - Folder Management Program - Please comment HERE if you find this program useful, have ideas, or know of any bugs.
    [Very useful for IT/DP departments where many folders are consistently accessed. Also contains a scratchpad window for quick access to notes.]

[.NET and MySQL Quick Guide]

BTW chris, the link you posted is exactly what i was looking for, if it was in vb :[ thank you for posting it though. it gave me a really good sense on how to go about this project.

EDIT:

I downloaded the indy dll. and it seemed to work while i wrote my code out, but when i ran the debug, i got a strange error (about the dll im guessing)

code:

Imports Indy.Sockets
    Module Module1

Sub Main()
    Dim xHost As String = "smtp.gmail.com"
    Dim xport As String = "587"
    Dim xUsername As String = "email@gmail.com"
    Dim xPassword As String = "pass"
    Dim xpop3 As New POP3
    Dim xcount As Integer
    Using xpop3
    xpop3.Username = xUsername
    xpop3.Password = xPassword
    xpop3.Connect(xHost, xport)
    Int(xcount = xpop3.CheckMessages)
    If (xcount = 0) Then
    Console.WriteLine("No messages on account.")
    Else
    Dim xmsg As New Message
    xpop3.Retrieve(1, xmsg)
    Console.WriteLine("Subject: " + xmsg.Subject)
    Console.WriteLine("From: " + xmsg.From.Text)
    Console.WriteLine("Body: " + xmsg.Body.Text)
    End If
    Try

Catch ex As Exception
    Console.WriteLine(ex.Message)
    Finally
    Console.WriteLine("")
    Console.WriteLine("Press enter")
    Console.ReadLine()
    End Try

End Using
    End Sub

End Module

Error:

Load Error Message: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information. Source: mscorlib Stack Trace: at System.Reflection.Module._GetTypesInternal(StackCrawlMark& stackMark) at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes() at Indy.Sockets.InitializerComponent.InitializeAssembly(@MetaInitializerComponent Self, Assembly AAssembly) in C:\temp\IndyBuild\IndyNet\Source\Indy.Sockets.IdBaseComponent.pas:line 227 at Indy.Sockets.InitializerComponent.InitComponent() in C:\temp\IndyBuild\IndyNet\Source\Indy.Sockets.IdBaseComponent.pas:line 283 Error #0 Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Mono.Security, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0738eb9f132ed756' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. Source: Stack Trace: Error #1 Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Mono.Security, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0738eb9f132ed756' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. Source: Stack Trace:

I have no idea whats wrong. any ideas? :]
    Last edited by manbearpig001; Oct 15th, 2009 at 09:05 PM.

I think it might be because you are using code to retrieve a message list and are accessing smtp.gmail.com. They won't work together.

If you want to check messages, you will need to use pop.gmail.com:995
    Also, Gmail sometimes likes SSL to be turned on but I haven't found how to turn SSL on with that Indy DLL.

SERYSOFT.COM :: SysPad - Folder Management Program - Please comment HERE if you find this program useful, have ideas, or know of any bugs.
    [Very useful for IT/DP departments where many folders are consistently accessed. Also contains a scratchpad window for quick access to notes.]

hmm.. didnt seem to help.

the error is in this line;
    Dim xpop3 As New POP3

error is this;

Load Error Message: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information. Source: mscorlib Stack Trace: at System.Reflection.Module._GetTypesInternal(StackCrawlMark& stackMark) at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes() at Indy.Sockets.InitializerComponent.InitializeAssembly(@MetaInitializerComponent Self, Assembly AAssembly) in C:\temp\IndyBuild\IndyNet\Source\Indy.Sockets.IdBaseComponent.pas:line 227 at Indy.Sockets.InitializerComponent.InitComponent() in C:\temp\IndyBuild\IndyNet\Source\Indy.Sockets.IdBaseComponent.pas:line 283 Error #0 Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Mono.Security, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0738eb9f132ed756' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. Source: Stack Trace: Error #1 Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Mono.Security, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0738eb9f132ed756' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. Source: Stack Trace:

Thanks for the help everyone. :]

Oh. Should have noticed this earlier.
    It is looking for another Assembly (DLL): Mono.Security
    There are two DLL's that came in the zip file and both must be referenced.

I don't get any errors but I sure as heck can't seem to get a full connection.
    It just sits there and locks the window for me.

? what zip file gave you a mono.security dll?? i sure as heck dont have one.

umm, not sure where i got it from now.
    I found a zip folder called pop3.zip and it had the whole Indy.Socket stuff and all of it programmed in C# code with those two DLL files.

I can't figure out where I got it from.

I just uploaded it to my webserver if you wanna download what I had found:
    http://www.serysoft.com/files/pop3.zip

:] thanks but the link didn't work :[

EDIT: nvm got it to work! :] thanks a ton!

http://www.serysoft.com/files/POP3.zip
    I think it's being picky about capitalization...lol

haha.. yeah now when i run debug, it just stays there waiting for something... (i assume what your program does as well)

*shrug* My program just goes into Not Responding mode and hangs up.
    And that was with or without the extra DLL, because at first I didn't notice it either.

well mine just seems like it does not want to connect.. i configured my gmail account to allow pop3.. so that shouldnt be the problem.. i wouldn't have to forward or allow the port im connecting through would i?? i mean im not running any server, just a client. correct?

Well, I did not have POP enabled I think.
    I'll have to try when I get to work tomorrow.
    The little program I'm using for testing is on my work PC.

Alrighty well be sure to update this thread if you find anything new out tomarro. :]

Well, I just found out if I let it go I get an error.
    I was previously letting it go but was probably stopping it just before it errored because I thought it was just hanging up.
    I get the following error:

Code:
    Indy.Sockets.EIdConnClosedGracefully: Connection Closed Gracefully.
       at Indy.Sockets.IOStream.RaiseConnClosedGracefully()
       at Indy.Sockets.IOHandlerStack.CheckForDisconnect(Boolean ARaiseExceptionIfDisconnected, Boolean AIgnoreBuffer)
       at Indy.Sockets.IOHandlerStack.ReadFromSource(Boolean ARaiseExceptionIfDisconnected, Int32 ATimeout, Boolean ARaiseExceptionOnTimeout)
       at Indy.Sockets.IOStream.ReadLn(String ATerminator, Int32 ATimeout, Int32 AMaxLineLength)
       at Indy.Sockets.IOStream.ReadLn()
       at Indy.Sockets.IOStream.ReadLnWait(Int32 AFailCount)
       at Indy.Sockets.TCPConnection.GetInternalResponse()
       at Indy.Sockets.TCPConnection.GetResponse(String AAllowedResponse)
       at Indy.Sockets.POP3.Connect()
       at Indy.Sockets.TCPClientCustom.Connect(String AHost, Int32 APort)
       at gNotify.frmMain.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\rburke\Desktop\gNotify2\gNotify\frmMain.vb:line 48

Looks like it is timing out; can't be sure why though.
    The data going in is correct.
    The only thing I can think of is SSL isn't being explicitly turned on anywhere.
    I'll have to go through all the options for the Indy.Socket namespace in the Object Browser and see if I can figure out how to tell the connection it needs to have SSL turned on.

haha after reading what you posted, i tried to see what mine did, and it said the same error. the gracefully closed or whatever.

I find it odd that no tutorials with indy.sockets knows about this error...

I'm finding some stuff. It looks like another DLL is required to get this working.
    I'm looking into it now.

Wow, this isn't simple. lol.
    It isn't so simple as just setting a reference to the DLL.
    These things are written in Delphi. The SSL libraries required.

Google: Indy.sockets POP3 and SSL
    for more info.

would it be easier to just use something other than gmail?

Either Hotmail or Yahoo! doesn't require SSL; can't remember which one.
    Maybe that would work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast