Thread: Toolbox and properties windows are empty

Addicted Member

Toolbox and properties windows are empty

This just started happening yesterday. When I open the toolbar or properties windows (I have them pinned to the sides) there's nothing in them. I thought it was a setting that had been altered, but when I closed VS and re-opened it, they were there again. But now it's happening today and they're empty even if I reload. When I open the toolbar bar it just says 'There are no usable controls in this group....... ' (that's the general group, i.e there are no controls at all).

Is this a setting? Although I can't imagine a use for a setting that gets rid of all tools and properties

Just to clarify, if I open a new project, then the toolbars are normal, so I guess it's just a setting in one project?

Re: Toolbox and properties windows are empty

You are viewing the Designer window of a form when this happens?
    Have you tried right clicking in the toolbox and selecting "Reset Toolbox"?
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Addicted Member

I haven't tried that, I will try next time. For some reason it's all working fine again now so it seems to resolve itself. I was definately viewing the designer as I was trying to access the properties of a new timer control. It's very odd, I think my computer is just struggling to load everything in sometimes.

Hi, Im also having thesame problem, but in my case it was really empty, i mean, eventhough i ryt clicked and selected reset nothing happens, and when clicked show all, all the tool in the toolbox are not clickable, can anyone help me please, im trying make my thesis and yet i cant start because of the problem. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by showyneil View Post
    Hi, Im also having thesame problem, but in my case it was really empty, i mean, eventhough i ryt clicked and selected reset nothing happens, and when clicked show all, all the tool in the toolbox are not clickable, can anyone help me please, im trying make my thesis and yet i cant start because of the problem. Thanks...
    Usually when pesky problems like this come up for me, I just re-install the IDE. Maybe there's a way to fix it but in my experience it's usually quicker to do a re-install than to read through dozens of suggestions all over the internet and hope one of them works.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber