dcsimg

Thread: First time your software is Ran.

First time your software is Ran.

Hello,

basically, when you run my Software the first time it is ran on your computer, i want the User to be able to install it them thereselves. Thanks, Spy

Frenzied Member

Re: First time your software is Ran.

How can you run it if it isn't installed?

Your question is not clear.

what? is need to be ran to be installed, lol

Frenzied Member

Pretend we have no idea about your application and explain it a bit better.

ok, so your have just got my Software, you put it on your Computer, and you run it for teh FIRST time ever, you have to install it right? how can i install it?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spy Pro View Post
    ok, so your have just got my Software, you put it on your Computer, and you run it for teh FIRST time ever, you have to install it right? how can i install it?
    No you don't have to install it...

You need to make yourself clear.

I know you dont have to, but like MSN and that. You have to, i want my software to be able to be installed on the computer? get me now lol?

Addicted Member

I know you dont have to, but like MSN and that. You have to, i want my software to be able to be installed on the computer? get me now lol?
    Search for Inno setup, it's free.

Think there are several examples on forum for that.

Thanks alot man, well appreciated.

Addicted Member

Thanks alot man, well appreciated.
    No problem, if you have any dependencie files read the help document which comes with Inno. It will tell you what to do with them.

Hwo can i get Inno setup(hint, i am using VB6.0)

Addicted Member

Hwo can i get Inno setup(hint, i am using VB6.0)
    http://www.jrsoftware.org/isdl.php

Scroll down.

again, thanks very much

Rather than Inno (which takes a fair amount of work), I recommend using the one that Microsoft provide for VB6, which is Visual Studio Installer.

There are links to downloads and documentation (for VSI and Inno, and others) in our Application Deployment FAQ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bountyhuntr
    No you don't have to install it...
    That is wrong I'm afraid... depending on the circumstances, you might be able to get away with not installing, but it isn't guaranteed.

Find out why in the article Why doesn't my program work on another computer? from our Classic VB FAQs (in the FAQ forum)

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    Rather than Inno (which takes a fair amount of work), I recommend using the one that Microsoft provide for VB6, which is Visual Studio Installer.

There are links to downloads and documentation (for VSI and Inno, and others) in our Application Deployment FAQ.
    That is wrong I'm afraid... depending on the circumstances, you might be able to get away with not installing, but it isn't guaranteed.

Find out why in the article Why doesn't my program work on another computer? from our Classic VB FAQs (in the FAQ forum)
    Obviously you've got a fair bit of knowledge more than me, but Inno hasn't took a lot of work for me.

Well you don't have to use a "installer" for everything you develop, i've had no problems.

"Digital Revolution"

I use the Package & Deployment Wizard that comes with VB. It's nice because it puts all the necessary files into a folder named SUPPORT.

But I don't like it's interface/how the installer turns out. So I use Easy Install Creator (free edition), and point it to the SUPPORT folder, and it makes a nice, compact, single installation program with all the necessary files.

I never really tried Inno Setup, it seems to have a learning curve which I really don't want to be bothered with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bountyhuntr View Post
    Obviously you've got a fair bit of knowledge more than me, but Inno hasn't took a lot of work for me.

Well you don't have to use a "installer" for everything you develop, i've had no problems.
    From personal experience, INNO has a learning curve, not too difficult for "normal" packages but can be for some things. I like it because it appears to be nearly 100% customizable.

Regarding having to use an installer or not.... There is no guarantee that the target pc will have the required dependencies your app requires. Building an installer carries those dependencies along in the setup.exe file. Not using an installer forces one to create their own in code by registering via APIs or using register-free techniques which then may require distributing the dependencies for installation/copying into the app folder. To each their own and register-free doesn't work on all operating systems.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

I prefer VSI, as it basically gives the advantages of both - with the added bonus that it conforms to "modern" (Win2000 and later) installation methods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bountyhuntr
    I hope you've used somebody else's template for Inno, as it is far from easy to write from scratch (and mistakes can break other peoples programs).

It seems that so far you have been lucky - your users have already had the required files installed, but not all users will (it depends on their version of Windows, and other apps they've installed).

If you don't understand why all VB programs have dependencies, I recommend re-reading the FAQ article I directed you to.

There are ways to avoid using an installation package (as LaVolpe mentioned), but they generally take more effort.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post

Regarding having to use an installer or not.... There is no guarantee that the target pc will have the required dependencies your app requires. Building an installer carries those dependencies along in the setup.exe file. Not using an installer forces one to create their own in code by registering via APIs or using register-free techniques which then may require distributing the dependencies for installation/copying into the app folder. To each their own and register-free doesn't work on all operating systems.
    I would use an installer if my program had dependencies (not including vb ones). If it doesn't I don't see a need., so far anyway.

It also depends if you are distributing it or not, or personal use.

Most of mine I use for personal use so I havn't explored that area fully.
    Last edited by Bountyhuntr; Oct 5th, 2009 at 04:13 PM.

I fought PDW for a few yrs and in most cases it did the job, but with Vista I had to find another way as i am constantly updating my app. I found a cheap one here: http://www.gdgsoft.com/pb/index.aspx
    if you decide to go the installer route it's very easy to use
    Waiting for a full featured smart phone with out marrying a provider
    Go Android
    Go raiders

"Digital Revolution"

There's also Alloy which apparently puts all necessary files into a single, portable EXE. I've never tried it myself, though.