Thread: [RESOLVED] Assembly log4net GAC error when user tries to install

Resolved [RESOLVED] Assembly log4net GAC error when user tries to install

I am developing a Windows desktop application and my users have begun installing and testing. It's a C#, .NET application installed via click-once. A few people so far have installed it with no issues, but user #4 or so received this error: "Unable to install or run the application. The application requires that assembly log4net Version 1.2.10.0 be installed in the GAC first." What does this mean? He was going to google so see what he could find but wasn't finding anything useful. I googled and I'm not sure which of the many solutions applies to his case. All my users are internal at the same company, so our hardware and what we have installed doesn't differ very much.

I'm sure I'm not providing the whole picture so tell me what else you need to know.

Thanks.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Re: Assembly log4net GAC error when user tries to install

Any takers?
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Is there any difference between the machines that worked and the ones that failed? OS, .Net version etc? Do any of these PCs already have Log4Net installed into the GAC?

How did you add Log4Net to your project? Is it via Nuget or have you added a reference to the DLL manually? It might be worth looking at installing it via Nuget rather than a reference to the dll itself.
    Last edited by PlausiblyDamp; Jun 30th, 2017 at 09:08 AM.

Not really helpful, but looking up log4net it seems that it is an Apache library tool to output log statements to a variety of output targets.

The error would seem to imply that the application requires this to be installed, but it's not on some systems.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Is this something I need? Meaning, I don't remember asking for it. Does every Windows NET app need it?

The only place I could find it reference to it is in Project->Properties->Publish->Application Files. (See screen shot).

How do I see if it's installed in the GAC, and if it's not on the problematic machine and is on the good machines, how do I install it?

Thanks, as you see I know nothing about this area!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

OK, I found it in my folder, C:\Windows\assembly. So does one of my users where the app is working. I have asked the non-working guy if it's missing on his machine.

If it isn't something you are using yourself it might be a requirement for one of the other tools you are using, I don't know if DevExpress requires it or not but that might be a candidate.

Excluded it and user was able to install. Thanks!