Thread: Wireless works but wired ethernet doesnt work

Wireless works but wired ethernet doesnt work

Hi my i cant connect to the internet via my router when i plug it in. but it works fine on wireless. the cable/Ethernet card are working fine because when i plug my computer directly to the cable modem it works fine.

i done ipconfig on cmd and it returns an IP so its connected to the router but internet doesn't work at all.

anyone know why. got windows xp

Re: Wireless works but wired ethernet doesnt work

It might be bad ports on the router.
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

you make sure the router is plugged into the "to internet" socket of the router?
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

lol come on. yes its plugged in to the net. and i tired all the ports. the ports are fine because i get an ip after i plug it in.

when connecting to a router on xp do yu simply need to plug it in to the router(username password on router config...)

or is there something else you got to do sometimes?

I'm not an expert but does this help?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

I cant get into the routers configuration

i get page not found error when i go to http://192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. is there any other way

Hey,

It is not guaranteed that that is the IP address of your router.

When you are connected to the wireless, do an ipconfig. What is the ip address of your default gateway? This is likely to be your router. Take that ip address and type it into the address bar in internet explorer.

Also, have you checked the TCP/IP for both the wireless network card and the wired one? Are you configured differently? i.e. does one have the option to obtain IP address automatically, adn the other not?

Gary

some routers only let you connect to the internal page if you have the computer hooked into the first plug.

Quote Originally Posted by MoE70 View Post
    lol come on. yes its plugged in to the net. and i tired all the ports. the ports are fine because i get an ip after i plug it in.

when connecting to a router on xp do yu simply need to plug it in to the router(username password on router config...)

or is there something else you got to do sometimes?
    that doesnt mean anything. Your router has a dhcp server in it. What i was saying is some routers have a specific port for the connection of the cable-modem. Some don't. Ones that don't have it separated from the others may have a switch on it changing the mode of that particular port from "uplink" to "normal". The internet needs to be set to "uplink" if this is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Orwell View Post
    that doesnt mean anything. Your router has a dhcp server in it. What i was saying is some routers have a specific port for the connection of the cable-modem. Some don't. Ones that don't have it separated from the others may have a switch on it changing the mode of that particular port from "uplink" to "normal". The internet needs to be set to "uplink" if this is the case.
    I've never seen a router that has an uplink port (or one that doubles as an uplink port), does one even exist?
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

I personally own one. It's an older-model d-link with only 4 ports. Came in a networking kit and if you wanted to use it with a cable modem you had to sacrifice the first port to this purpose. It had a physical switch on it to change the mode of this port. It was labeled "uplink" instead of "modem" due to the fact you can also daisy-chain routers or hubs on that port. Since the OP never specified his router, we are only left to guess and toss out all options
    Thanks again for posting nonsense in a serious discussion. I am sure a lot of things exist you've never seen.

http://www.google.com/search?q=uplin...x=&startPage=1

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    I've never seen a router that has an uplink port (or one that doubles as an uplink port), does one even exist?
    Yep, I've got 3.
    My free .NET Windows API library (Version 2.2 Released 12/06/2011)

Blog: cjwdev.wordpress.com
    Web: www.cjwdev.co.uk

Nothing here worked. but thanks anyway. im going to use a wireless usb receiver and just use the wireless only

Hey,

Did you check what I suggested in post #7? Did you find the default gateway, and try to access it?

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by MoE70 View Post
    Nothing here worked. but thanks anyway. im going to use a wireless usb receiver and just use the wireless only
    it may be faulty, you know. New routers can be had for about $30 at best-buy. I got my linksys on sale there. This is cheaper than a wireless dongle and you might consider upgrading to a router capable of wireless n. In fact package kits are aviailable.

1. Make sure the wired NIC has DHCP enabled in TCP/IP configuration. If it already is then:
    2. Try to rollback the driver or remove/uninstall it from device manager and reinstall it using the original drivers. If this doesn't fix then probably the NIC itself is bad. This isn't uncommon since wired NIC's can get whacked very easily by lightnings. Fortunately they are relatively cheap these days and you can get one for around $10 or less on eBay.
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Fanatic Member

if you havent already given up, I would certainly suggest geps post #7. get the default gateway, then ping it. if you can ping it but cant access the interface it could be your dns needs flushing. try ipconfig /flushdns and see if this helps
    "Wisdom is only truly achieved, when you realise you dont know everything" ... I must be a genius because I always have to ask stupid questions...

Pointing an idiot like me in the right direction, is always appreciated by the idiot, explaining how to do what you have pointed the idiot to, is appreciated even more. I apologise to all experienced coders who will think I am an idiot, you are right, I am an idiot, but I am an idiot who is trying to learn

Quote Originally Posted by JayCR View Post
    if you havent already given up, I would certainly suggest geps post #7. get the default gateway, then ping it. if you can ping it but cant access the interface it could be your dns needs flushing. try ipconfig /flushdns and see if this helps
    What has DNS got to do with it? If you are attempting to access something via an IP address then DNS doesnt even come into it at all...
    DNS is the system that is responsible for 'resolving' human friendly names such as www.google.com into a computer friendly number - an IP address.

Fanatic Member

because the DNS may contain invalid references, the only reason I know this is because it happened recently at work, the support company flushed the DNS, because apparently, even though the IP Address was used, for some reason it was clashing with the DNS Cache in the router, and from there, even though it said it was going to "1.2.3.4" the router was pointing the traffic to "2.3.4.5"

We tried alsorts, but flushing the dns and rebooting the router seems to have solved the problem.

J
    "Wisdom is only truly achieved, when you realise you dont know everything" ... I must be a genius because I always have to ask stupid questions...

Pointing an idiot like me in the right direction, is always appreciated by the idiot, explaining how to do what you have pointed the idiot to, is appreciated even more. I apologise to all experienced coders who will think I am an idiot, you are right, I am an idiot, but I am an idiot who is trying to learn

but flushing the dns and rebooting the router
    I think the router being rebooted is more likely what fixed it

Fanatic Member

Wish I could say the same, I rebooted it twice before hand, and it still caused problems, its weird, but it all came right in the end, I think a combination of problems was more to blame than anything else...