Thread: [RESOLVED] Add 1 To Download

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Add 1 To Download

i am making an applocation that allows users to download files from the app. the list of available downoads is generated from a mysql database. I don't really know much sql so i am asking for your help.

the table is setup like:

Table Name: programs

programid location programname programtype uploaded uploader

i dont know if i should make the download column an auto increment integer or what, and how would i add 1 to the current # in the row.

Re: Add 1 To Download

To store the amount of downloads you should use an Integer of some sort (exactly which depends on how many downloads you expect), but not auto increment - as that is designed for fields like programid (so that each record can be uniquely identified).

To increase it you would just use an Update statement with a Where clause that uniquely specifies the row, eg:
    Code:
    UPDATE programs
    SET download = download + 1
    WHERE programid = 27

Lively Member

thank you this worked

As you now have it sorted out, could you please do us a little favour, and mark the thread as Resolved?
    (this saves time reading for those of us who like to answer questions, and also helps those who search to find answers)

You can do it by clicking on "Thread tools" just above the first post in this thread, then "Mark thread resolved". (like various other features of this site, you need JavaScript enabled in your browser for this to work).