Thread: Skinng Windows Form

Lively Member

Skinng Windows Form

What is the best way to go about changing the look of a Windows Form.

P.S. I have searched but haven't found a good answer

Re: Skinng Windows Form

What answers have you found?

From previous searches on this website, WPF is the general consensus. Though I've never done it myself.
    CodeBank contributions: Process Manager, Temp File Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley
    "game trainer" is the same as calling the act of robbing a bank "wealth redistribution"....

Lively Member

I tried to use WPF but for some reason I couldnt get anything to compile so I just made my form and buttons in Photoshop. It looks alright but not as good as if it was in XAML. The only thing I need now is to change the border

As far as I understood, WPF utilizes XAML. I don't think it's a matter of what technology needs to be used. WPF should allow you to change the border.

You might want to look up some tutorials and books on it.

"game trainer" is the same as calling the act of robbing a bank "wealth redistribution"....

Hyperactive Member

Skinning a windows form. Remember it's a visual trick. What you see isn't really what you think it actually is. If you look my little mp3 program's gui at www.sharpmp3.com.

There's a number of buttons, none of them of the circular nature. They look circular, but that's because the square area's blend in with the background. This was all done using the properties of the buttons themselves. I used photoshop to make the pictures of the buttons and some backgrounds but it's all pretty basic. Then I attached the pictures to the button fore and background pictures fields.

If you play around with the button settings and the control setting syou can get it to look the way you want.

Requires some finess to it.
    Last edited by jakkjakk; Aug 25th, 2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: adding comment
    My Websites
    SharpMP3 - MP3 Design Articles www.sharpmp3.com
    Yobbers - Job Search www.yobbers.com
    Lets Trend - Methods For Riding Stock Trends www.letstrend.com

Quote Originally Posted by jakkjakk
    If you look my little mp3 program's gui at
    The example you've given, jakkjakk, is of changing the button's appearance. I believe he is more focused on changing the appearance of the Form's Border. Of which, I can not assist with direct knowledge.

Hyperactive Member

Well what you do is you set the borderstyle to borderless. Making it so that the form doesn't have a border, then you develop your own graphics to the border that you see fit. Like you could create a picture that has a border and then set that picture to the background making it look like your form has a border to it. Then you setup your own buttons and menu bar.

So what the user see's is a border, but it really is part of the background picture and whatever buttons and menu's they've setup.

Doing GUI's requires some artistic talent, some ingenuity, and a lot of patience. They can look really cool with little effort, but you have to be clever.
    My Websites
    SharpMP3 - MP3 Design Articles www.sharpmp3.com
    Yobbers - Job Search www.yobbers.com
    Lets Trend - Methods For Riding Stock Trends www.letstrend.com

The method you've described, jakkjakk, will work. But that's kind of a backwards way of doing it. It will work... but it's not generally ideal.

I agree that to make a custom border, it will take time and skill. But making a custom one will look and act so much better than a "fake" one. Excuse me if that seems rude.

I'd like to reiterate that from what I've read on on this site, WPF is the best way to create a custom border and should probably be what you research more on, Tddupre.

It may not be the answer you want, because you've done a little work with it so far and have come up with nothing, but it's probably your best path.

Quote Originally Posted by jakkjakk View Post
    If you look my little mp3 program's gui at www.sharpmp3.com.
    OMG, my eyes fell out and now I can't find them. (I can type though because I know where the keys are )

Visual Studio 2010 Professional | .NET Framework 4.0 | Windows 7

SERYSOFT.COM :: SysPad - Folder Management Program - Please comment HERE if you find this program useful, have ideas, or know of any bugs.
    [Very useful for IT/DP departments where many folders are consistently accessed. Also contains a scratchpad window for quick access to notes.]

[.NET and MySQL Quick Guide]

I used to use an application called AppFaceIts free for awhile but I think you can buy it for like $30? Just reference the dll and they have tons of pre-made skin or you can make your own.

Wow, never mind $30 is way off. Its $149 for vb and C# but you can use it forever so it may be a good investment.