Thread: Timeout

Fanatic Member

Question Timeout

I have a page that takes for a while executing all the tasks. Sometimes it may be that long as one hour.

The Session on the server is just 20 minutes so i was wondering how do i extend its life?

Btw, i am also leaving the connection open for all the phases in the page life cycles. So do i need to edit the connection timeout as well?

Thanks

Re: Timeout

Hey,

One thing that you can do is to edit the web.config file, in particular the sessionState element:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/h6bb9cz9.aspx

and in particular the timeout variable.

However, one other thing that you might have to look at is the application pool recycle time. You can modify this setting in the Internet Information Services Manager. The setting in question is on the Recycling Tab called "Recycle worker processes (in minutes).

Hope that helps!!

Gary

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

Re: Timeout

The connection timeout specifies how long to wait to open a connection before timing out.
    The command timeout specifies how long to wait for a command to finish executing before timing out.

Is the session relevant here? If the page takes an hour, are you going to keep the user waiting for an hour? What about one of those feedback systems with a 'progress bar' on a please wait.aspx page? There was a similar discussion a few days ago:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ight=threading

Because the page will keep refreshing, the session variable will be kept alive.