PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197

PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197

ping using vb--VBForums

Thread: ping using vb-

Lively Member

ping using vb-

Sorry for new thread--i have this code,basically a loop to ping a list of ip's return the results and save them to an access db:

Code:
    Public Class SwitchMonitor
        Dim Ping As Net.NetworkInformation.Ping
        Dim pReply As Net.NetworkInformation.PingReply

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Dim i As Integer
            Dim ds As New DataSet
            Dim da As OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter
            Dim sql As String
            Dim con As New OleDb.OleDbConnection

Label1.Visible = True    'sets the visible properties to advice labels that display after clicking ping button 
            Label2.Visible = True
            Label3.Visible = True
            Label4.Visible = True

con.ConnectionString = "PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source = C:\Documents and Settings\mhorgan\Desktop\Network Map.mdb"
            con.Open()

sql = "SELECT * FROM tblSwitch"
            da = New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(sql, con)
            da.Fill(ds, "monitor")

Dim cb As New OleDb.OleDbCommandBuilder(da)
            Ping = New Net.NetworkInformation.Ping
            Dim dgvr As DataGridViewRow

ProgressBar1.Minimum = 0                                      'sets minimum value of progress bar
            ProgressBar1.Maximum = ds.Tables("monitor").Rows.Count - 1    'sets maximum value of progress bar

For i = 0 To ds.Tables("monitor").Rows.Count - 1

Application.DoEvents()

' Set up the progress bar's properties
                ProgressBar1.Value = i

dgvr = New DataGridViewRow      'Creates a new row            
                DataGridView1.Rows.Add(dgvr)    'Add the row             

Try

pReply = Ping.Send(ds.Tables("monitor").Rows(i).Item(5)) 'Sends the ping to the current item                

DataGridView1.Rows.Item(i).Cells(0).Value = ds.Tables("monitor").Rows(i).Item(1) 'read in switch name from column 2 in network map db

DataGridView1.Rows.Item(i).Cells(1).Value = ds.Tables("monitor").Rows(i).Item(5) 'Updates the value of the new Item                

DataGridView1.Rows.Item(i).Cells(2).Value = pReply.Status  'The value of the status returned                 

DataGridView1.Rows.Item(i).Cells(3).Value = Now.ToString() 'show the last time checked with Now.ToString() method

If pReply.Status <> Net.NetworkInformation.IPStatus.Success Then   'Sets the color of the cell based on ping result         

DataGridView1.Rows.Item(i).Cells(2).Style.BackColor = Color.Red
                    Else
                        DataGridView1.Rows.Item(i).Cells(2).Style.BackColor = Color.Green
                    End If

ds.Tables("monitor").Rows(i).Item(6) = pReply.Status    'Write in the original datatable
                    ds.Tables("monitor").Rows(i).Item(7) = Now.ToString()   'added code for date/time
                    da.Update(ds, "monitor") 'Updates the database

Catch ex As Exception        'Error Handling
                    MessageBox.Show(ex.ToString())
                End Try
            Next

End Sub

Private Sub btnExit_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnExit.Click
            Dim con As New OleDb.OleDbConnection
            con.ConnectionString = "PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source = C:\Documents and Settings\mhorgan\Desktop\Network Map.mdb"
            con.Close()
            End
        End Sub

Private Sub SwitchMonitor_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

End Sub

End Class
    The problem is that for some reason when i first run the code in the morning all the switches time out and as there are over 400 switches this takes over 25mins during which the program remains unresponsive, but if i then run the code a second time it works perfectly and all the switches that are up ping back and it only takes around 4mins (the reason it takes 4mins is because there are a number of switches in the db which i know are down and each of these take 5secs to time out). Its as if the program needs a warm up run ? anyone able to offer an explanation ?? - i have been told to use multiplethreads and background threads but im new to coding and my skills are very limited so im hoping if im just able to identify the problem i might be able to find an easier way around it-besides from what i gather the two suggestions mentioned above will only speed up the program which is not what im looking for,im just wondering WHY the code behaves differently the first time i run it ??-cant figure it out would appreciate any ideas cheers

Re: ping using vb-

I wrote some code that does async pings and then just handles the responses, instead of waiting for each ping reply to come in 1 by 1.

You should be able to adapt it to your needs.

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=573829
    Using VS.NET 2013/.NET 2.0 through 4.5 * Please mark you thread resolved using the Thread Tools above
    PLEASE INDICATE WHAT VERSION OF VB YOU USE!!!!!!!!!!!
    * If you found a post useful then please Rate it! * DO NOT PM ME WITH LINKS TO YOUR THREADS FOR ANSWERS PLEASE!

Code Bank:Manipulate HTML Page content in the Web Browser Control from VB - Drag Drop from Windows into Win Form - Launch new default browser instance to open URL - Display Internet Image in Picturebox - Download Files From Web With Progress Bar - IP Textbox User Control - Installing .NET Framework with INNO Setup
    ZerosAndTheOne.com
    -=Matt=-

I could have sworn I showed you how to do it using background threads last time you posted this same question. In fact I even remember taking the time to create an example database and complete working example program... did I dream that?

EDIT: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=577053
    My free .NET Windows API library (Version 2.2 Released 12/06/2011)

Blog: cjwdev.wordpress.com
    Web: www.cjwdev.co.uk

Lively Member

i know chris you did and thank you for that and i tried adapting it to my project but failed miserably , but for the moment im not so much looking for a solution to the problem im just looking for the CAUSE of the problem , why does the program need to run through once before it behaves correctly

im guessing that some procedure needs to be run only the first time the code runs(or for some reason takes longer the first time) and this takes longer than 5secs(as all ips time-out) , is it the pinging itself ? the datagridview ? vb loading the dataset ??-dataset is quite large 500+entries the fact that it is such a long procedure with only very basic coding operating in a single thread ?? - im guessing its the latter as everyone is suggesting background/multiplethreads but id like to identify the problem before i try and solve it.

any idea what this procedure might be ??
    Last edited by markhorgan1; Aug 7th, 2009 at 04:44 AM.

Lively Member

ive taken another look at that post chris and the error im getting is at this line:

UpdateCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() 'Execute the command that updates the database

and it reads: No value given for one or more required parameters.

the db was never attatched so i had to make my own, im also trying to make sure its not a mismatch of data types i have tried changing result from bolean to string as all i could use in the access db was yes/no which i didnt think would be compatible with type bolean
    also i have changed ipaddress to IP (the column name in the pingDB)
    Last edited by markhorgan1; Aug 7th, 2009 at 03:56 AM.

The Yes/No type in Access is the same as Boolean.

That message you are getting means that you have specified a command string that has a parameter in it but then havent assigned a value for that parameter. So for example in this code:
    vb Code:
    1. Dim UpdateCommand As New OleDBCommand("UPDATE sometable SET column1=@parameter1 WHERE column2=@parameter2", MyConnection)
    the @parameter1 and @parameter2 bits are parameters that it is expecting you to fill with a value, and to do that you have to do something like this (off the top of my head so syntax may not be 100&#37; correct):
    vb Code:
    1. UpdateCommand.Parameters.Add("@parameter1", Boolean).Value = True
    then the same for @parameter2.
    So go through the code you are using and look for any command strings that are using parameters and make sure you fill all of those with the relevant values before you call ExecuteNonQuery

Lively Member

you werent far off...

UpdateCommand.Parameters.Add("@parameter1", OleDbType.Boolean).Value = True

runs now, is very fast too results show up in logbox, one problem though it doesnt update the db. any ideas ? -im only familiar with connections using datasets so im kinda lost when it comes to your code

it reads in perfectly from db so its not a problem with the connection or anythin like its gotta be solely to do with the update commands, il try play around with them in the mean time
    Last edited by markhorgan1; Aug 7th, 2009 at 05:25 AM.

Have you got the Access database open when you run it? I think that would stop it writing to the database

Lively Member

no thats not it i had it closed while i was running it

i also had to change select IP,ID to select * but i dont think this should make a difference !

so is it working now?

Lively Member

well it runs perfectly but it only reads the ip's from the db ,unfortunately it doesnt write the result or the current time to the db which is the most important part for the project im working on , must be the update commands , was it working when you made it with your sample db ?

Yeah it was definitely working with my test database, reading from it and updating it with the results.

Can you post the code you are using now and list the columns you have in your database and their types?

Lively Member

heres code:

Code:
    Imports System.Data.OleDb

Public Class Form1

''' <summary>
        ''' Represents a network switch (or any device with an IP) that is in the database
        ''' </summary>
        Private Class NetworkSwitch
            Private _IPAddress As String
            Private _ID As Integer
            Private _Result As Boolean

Public Property IPAddress() As String
                Get
                    Return _IPAddress
                End Get
                Set(ByVal value As String)
                    _IPAddress = value
                End Set
            End Property

Public Property ID() As Integer
                Get
                    Return _ID
                End Get
                Set(ByVal value As Integer)
                    _ID = value
                End Set
            End Property

Public Property Result() As Boolean
                Get
                    Return _Result
                End Get
                Set(ByVal value As Boolean)
                    _Result = value
                End Set
            End Property

End Class

'Set up some variables that we will use from various functions/subs
        Private PingList As List(Of NetworkSwitch)
        Private Counter As Integer = 0
        Private ConnString As New OleDbConnectionStringBuilder("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\test\pingDB.mdb;User Id=admin;Password=;")
        'This is the Delegate that will be used to pass data between the threads safely
        Private Delegate Sub PingComplete(ByVal sw As NetworkSwitch)

Private Sub Pingbtn_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Pingbtn.Click
            Counter = 0 'reset the counter in case this is not the first time the ping button has been clicked
            Pingbtn.Enabled = False  'Disable the ping button so it cannot be pressed again yet
            btnExit.Enabled = False
            Dim bgthread As New Threading.Thread(AddressOf BG_CollectData)  'Create a new background thread
            bgthread.IsBackground = True  'Make the thread end if the program is closed
            bgthread.Start()  'Start the background thread
        End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' This is the routine that is executed when bgthread.Start() is called in the event handler above
        ''' It collects information from the Access database and stores it in a list, then kicks off another
        ''' background thread (from the ThreadPool) that sends the ping
        ''' </summary>
        Private Sub BG_CollectData()
            'Create our connection that will be used to connect to the Access database
            Dim AccessConnection As New OleDbConnection(ConnString.ConnectionString)

'Create the command that will be used to select all of the data in the IP and ID columns
            Dim SelectCommand As New OleDbCommand("SELECT * FROM PingTable", AccessConnection)

'Create a new instance of a list of our NetworkSwitch class
            PingList = New List(Of NetworkSwitch)

'Open the connection to the database
            AccessConnection.Open()

'Use a DataReader to access the data that the SELECT command returns
            Dim Reader As OleDbDataReader = SelectCommand.ExecuteReader
            'Start to loop through the results
            'This loop will be restarted for each row in the database
            Do While Reader.Read
                'Create a new instance of our NetworkSwitch class and populate the ID and IP properties
                'with data from the current row in the database that we are looping through
                Dim CurrentSwitch As New NetworkSwitch
                With CurrentSwitch
                    .ID = Reader("ID")
                    .IPAddress = Reader("IPAddress")
                End With
                'Add the new instance of the NetworkSwitch to our list
                PingList.Add(CurrentSwitch)
            Loop 'Start the loop again for the next record in the database

'Close the connection because we have now processed all rows in the database
            AccessConnection.Close()

'Give the threadpool a limit so that no more than 30 threads are running at the same time
            Threading.ThreadPool.SetMaxThreads(30, 400)

'Loop through our list of NetworkSwitch instances and start (well, queue up) a new background
            'thread for each item in the list and passes it the current item in the loop (which is a NetworkSwitch object)
            For Each switchobject As NetworkSwitch In PingList
                Threading.ThreadPool.QueueUserWorkItem(New Threading.WaitCallback(AddressOf DoPing), switchobject)
            Next
        End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' Performs the ping and updates the Result property of the NetworkSwitch object that was passed to this 
        ''' </summary>
        Private Sub DoPing(ByVal Switch As NetworkSwitch)
            Dim Result As Net.NetworkInformation.PingReply
            Dim SendPing As New Net.NetworkInformation.Ping
            Result = SendPing.Send(Switch.IPAddress)
            If Result.Status = Net.NetworkInformation.IPStatus.Success Then
                Switch.Result = True
            Else
                Switch.Result = False
            End If
            UpdateDatabase(Switch)
            Counter += 1
            Me.Invoke(New PingComplete(AddressOf UI_PingComplete), Switch)
        End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' This is executed each time a ping completes and the database has been updated.
        ''' It is executed on the UI thread because we used Me.Invoke to call it so it can access
        ''' controls on the UI thread without a problem
        ''' </summary>
        Private Sub UI_PingComplete(ByVal sw As NetworkSwitch)
            logbox.AppendText(sw.IPAddress & " ping complete - " & sw.Result & vbNewLine) 'update our log textbox
            If Counter = PingList.Count Then
                logbox.AppendText("Finished all tests" & vbNewLine)
                Pingbtn.Enabled = True 're-enable the ping button
                btnExit.Enabled = True
                PingList = Nothing 'clean up
            End If
        End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' Updates the relevant row in the database for the switch that is passed to this method
        ''' </summary>
        Private Sub UpdateDatabase(ByVal sw As NetworkSwitch)
            Dim UpdateCommand As New OleDbCommand("UPDATE PingTable SET Result=@Result, LastTested=@CurrentTime WHERE ID=@ID", AccessConnection)
            With UpdateCommand.Parameters
                .Add("@Result", OleDbType.Boolean).Value = sw.Result
                .Add("@CurrentTime", OleDbType.Char).Value = Now.ToString
                .Add("@ID", OleDbType.Integer).Value = sw.ID
            End With
            AccessConnection.Open()
            UpdateCommand.Parameters.Add("@parameter1", OleDbType.Boolean).Value = True'Execute the command that updates the database

AccessConnection.Close()
        End Sub

Private Sub btnExit_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnExit.Click
            End
        End Sub
    End Class

and these are all the columns in access db (access 2000 format)

ID-number
    IPAddress-text
    Result-Yes/no
    CurrentTime-text
    Last edited by markhorgan1; Aug 10th, 2009 at 04:11 AM.

You are not actually executing the Update command. See in this sub:

vb Code:
    1. ''' <summary>
    2.     ''' Updates the relevant row in the database for the switch that is passed to this method
    3.     ''' </summary>
    4. Private Sub UpdateDatabase(ByVal sw As NetworkSwitch)
    5.         Dim AccessConnection As New OleDbConnection(ConnString.ConnectionString)
    6.         Dim UpdateCommand As New OleDbCommand("UPDATE PingTable SET Result=@Result, LastTested=@CurrentTime WHERE ID=@ID", AccessConnection)
    7.         With UpdateCommand.Parameters
    8.             .Add("@Result", OleDbType.Boolean).Value = sw.Result
    9.             .Add("@CurrentTime", OleDbType.Char).Value = Now.ToString
    10.             .Add("@ID", OleDbType.Integer).Value = sw.ID
    11.         End With
    12.         AccessConnection.Open()
    13.         UpdateCommand.Parameters.Add("@parameter1", OleDbType.Boolean).Value = True'Execute the command that updates the database
    14.    AccessConnection.Close()
    15. End Sub

Get rid of this line (because it is pointless as you are not using a parameter named @Parameter1
    vb Code:
    1. UpdateCommand.Parameters.Add("@parameter1", OleDbType.Boolean).Value = True
    and replace it with this:
    vb Code:
    1. UpdateCommand.ExecuteNonQuery

Frenzied Member

Keep in mind that some ISPs block Pings due to security.
    If your ISP or any other ISP for some of your users does block the Ping(s) you won't get the expected or desired results.

Lively Member

made that change but another error at that line when i press ping , oledbexception unhandled-No value given for one or more required parameters.

tried adding basic error handling to see if it helped
    ie
    Code:
    try
    Catch ex As Exception        'Error Handling
            End Try

but hasnt worked yet ,instead now im getting an error message box each time new thread sends a ping

Lively Member

okay nevermind ! found the problem , the access column was named currenttime instead of LastTested , can the text in the logbox be conditionally formatted like in datagridview ? ie red for false green for true ?

Yeah but to be honest you are probably just better off using a datagridview like you say

Lively Member

okay thanks will try that ! what about adding a progress bar ? could this be easily done ?

im guessing its something like this but not sure what to set value to, also not sure where to put code because everywhere i try i get crossthread errors ?

Code:
    ProgressBar1.Minimum = 0     'sets minimum value of progress bar
            ProgressBar1.Maximum = Counter 'maximum value of progres

ProgressBar1.Value = ??   ' Set up the progress bar's properties
    also tried changing from richtextbox to datagridview but im having trouble with the loop.
    heres code:

Code:

Public Class Form1

''' <summary>
        ''' Represents a network switch (or any device with an IP) that is in the database
        ''' </summary>
            Private _ID As Integer

Get
                    Return _IPAddress
                End Get
                    _IPAddress = value
                End Set
            End Property

Get
                    Return _ID
                End Get
                    _ID = value
                End Set
            End Property

Get
                    Return _Result
                End Get
                    _Result = value
                End Set
            End Property

End Class

Dim i As Integer

Private ConnString As New OleDbConnectionStringBuilder("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\test\pingDB.mdb;User Id=admin;Password=;")

Private Sub Pingbtn_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Pingbtn.Click
            Counter = 0 'reset the counter in case this is not the first time the ping button has been clicked
            Pingbtn.Enabled = False  'Disable the ping button so it cannot be pressed again yet
            btnExit.Enabled = False
            Dim bgthread As New Threading.Thread(AddressOf BG_CollectData)  'Create a new background thread
        End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' This is the routine that is executed when bgthread.Start() is called in the event handler above
        ''' It collects information from the Access database and stores it in a list, then kicks off another
        ''' </summary>

'Create the command that will be used to select all of the data in the IP and ID columns
            Dim SelectCommand As New OleDbCommand("SELECT * FROM PingTable", AccessConnection)

AccessConnection.Open()

Do While Reader.Read
                'Create a new instance of our NetworkSwitch class and populate the ID and IP properties
                With CurrentSwitch
                    .ID = Reader("ID")
                End With

AccessConnection.Close()

'Give the threadpool a limit so that no more than 30 threads are running at the same time

'Loop through our list of NetworkSwitch instances and start (well, queue up) a new background
            'thread for each item in the list and passes it the current item in the loop (which is a NetworkSwitch object)
                Threading.ThreadPool.QueueUserWorkItem(New Threading.WaitCallback(AddressOf DoPing), switchobject)
            Next
        End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' Performs the ping and updates the Result property of the NetworkSwitch object that was passed to this 
        ''' </summary>
                Switch.Result = True

' <<<<<<----change Font Color to green/red ??
            Else
                Switch.Result = False
            End If

UpdateDatabase(Switch)
            Counter += 1
        End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' This is executed each time a ping completes and the database has been updated.
        ''' It is executed on the UI thread because we used Me.Invoke to call it so it can access
        ''' </summary>

Dim i As Integer
            For i = 0 To PingList.Count

Application.DoEvents()

DataGridView1.Rows.Item(i).Cells(0).Value = sw.IPAddress

DataGridView1.Rows.Item(i).Cells(1).Value = sw.ID

DataGridView1.Rows.Item(i).Cells(2).Value = sw.Result

DataGridView1.Rows.Item(i).Cells(3).Value = Now.ToString() 'show the last time checked with Now.ToString() method

'   logbox.AppendText(sw.IPAddress & " ping complete - " & sw.Result & vbNewLine) 'update our log textbox
                    ' logbox.AppendText("Finished all tests" & vbNewLine)
                    btnExit.Enabled = True
                End If
            Next
        End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' Updates the relevant row in the database for the switch that is passed to this method
        ''' </summary>

Dim UpdateCommand As New OleDbCommand("UPDATE PingTable SET Result=@Result, LastTested=@CurrentTime WHERE ID=@ID", AccessConnection)
            End With
            AccessConnection.Open()

UpdateCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()  'Execute the command that updates the database

AccessConnection.Close()

End Sub

End
        End Sub
    End Class
    Last edited by markhorgan1; Aug 11th, 2009 at 05:53 AM.

Lively Member

okay i think im a bit closer now but ders still a problem with the loop , or the multiple threads , or the datagridview ,

Code:

Public Class Form1

''' <summary>
        ''' </summary>
            Private _ID As Integer

Get
                    Return _IPAddress
                End Get
                    _IPAddress = value
                End Set
            End Property

Get
                    Return _ID
                End Get
                    _ID = value
                End Set
            End Property

Get
                    Return _Result
                End Get
                    _Result = value
                End Set
            End Property

End Class

Dim i As Integer

btnExit.Enabled = False
        End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' </summary>

AccessConnection.Open()

Do While Reader.Read
                With CurrentSwitch
                    .ID = Reader("ID")
                End With

AccessConnection.Close()

Next
        End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' </summary>

Switch.Result = True
                DataGridView1.Rows.Item(i).Cells(2).Style.BackColor = Color.Green
                ' <<----change Font Color to green/red ??
            Else
                Switch.Result = False
                DataGridView1.Rows.Item(i).Cells(2).Style.BackColor = Color.Red
            End If

UpdateDatabase(Switch)
                    Counter += 1

End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' </summary>

Try

DataGridView1.Rows.Item(i).Cells(0).Value = sw.ID 'read in switch name from column 2 in network map db
                DataGridView1.Rows.Item(i).Cells(1).Value = sw.IPAddress 'Updates the value of the new Item                
                    DataGridView1.Rows.Item(i).Cells(2).Value = sw.Result  'The value of the status returned                 

btnExit.Enabled = True
                    End If

Catch ex As Exception         'Error Handling
                End Try

End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' </summary>

End With
            AccessConnection.Open()

AccessConnection.Close()

End Sub

End
        End Sub
    End Class
    Last edited by markhorgan1; Aug 11th, 2009 at 10:13 AM.

Lively Member

okay sorry for all the postS but i cant figure out how to delete them !! anyway ive gone back to the richtextbox way of displaying results and also added a column SwitchName.

i cant seem to format the text in the richtextbox called "logbox" based on result of ping ive tried adding the following code:

Code:
                Switch.Result = True
                 logbox.SelectionColor = Color.Green
            Else
                Switch.Result = False
                logbox.SelectionColor = Color.Red
      End If
    but i keep getting cross thread issues , im new to mulit-threading so was wondering if anyone could help me out ?

im also having the same problem tryin to add a progressbar "progressbar1" , tried adding the following code but its not working:

Code:
            ProgressBar1.Minimum = 0                   'set minimum value                  
            ProgressBar1.Maximum = PingList.Count    'set maximum value

' Set up the progress bar's properties
            ProgressBar1.Value = ??

heres all the code:

Code:

Public Class Form1

''' <summary>
        ''' </summary>
            Private _ID As Integer
            Private _SwitchName As String

Get
                    Return _IPAddress
                End Get
                    _IPAddress = value
                End Set
            End Property
            Public Property SwitchName() As String
                Get
                    Return _SwitchName
                End Get
                    _SwitchName = value
                End Set
            End Property

Get
                    Return _ID
                End Get
                    _ID = value
                End Set
            End Property

Get
                    Return _Result
                End Get
                    _Result = value
                End Set
            End Property

End Class

btnExit.Enabled = False

End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' </summary>

AccessConnection.Open()

Do While Reader.Read
                With CurrentSwitch
                    .ID = Reader("ID")
                    .SwitchName = Reader("SwitchName")
                End With

AccessConnection.Close()

Next

End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' </summary>
                Switch.Result = True

' <<<<<<----change Font Color to green/red ??
            Else
                Switch.Result = False

End If

UpdateDatabase(Switch)
            Counter += 1

End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' </summary>
            logbox.AppendText(sw.SwitchName & " - " & sw.IPAddress & " - ping complete - " & sw.Result & vbNewLine) 'update our log textbox

logbox.AppendText("Finished all tests" & vbNewLine)
                btnExit.Enabled = True
            End If
        End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' </summary>

' .Add("SwitchName", OleDbType.Char).Value = sw.SwitchName

End With
            AccessConnection.Open()

AccessConnection.Close()

End Sub

End
        End Sub

End Class
    Last edited by markhorgan1; Aug 12th, 2009 at 08:46 AM.

OK I've attached an example project that uses a datagridview and I have attached the database. It is by no means perfect and you should add plenty of error handling etc as I have merely added enough to make it functional.
    The way I have done it now is quite different in that you click the Reload button and it loads each row from the Access database into the DGV, then when you do the pings it actually just reads the data from the DGV and updates the DGV (but still updates the Access database as well with the results). Its probably not the best way to do it, especially as you would have to make sure you do the Reload after any changes are made to the database, but it works and at least gives you something to go on.

This is what it looks like:

I've also attached a WPF version for anyone who is interested, which uses data binding (because I find it much easier to do databinding in WPF) so doesnt require quite as much code - of course it also has the advantage of being a lot more visually flexible. For example, you can click the Change View button to switch from this view:

to this view:

Obviously just a very basic example but you get the idea

Note that I have changed quite a few things in the code compared to that example project I gave you before. For example the LastTested column is now a Date column not a text column and as a result when the app is loading the data into the DGV it will display something like 01/01/0001 00:00:00 as the last tested date if there is no value in that column. You could stick some extra If statements in there to 'convert' it from that date into a string that just says "Never" or something and then do the opposite when reading the data from the DGV but I havent bothered as its just an example.

Read the comments in the code and feel free to ask any questions - also just to clarify, this is not meant to be a working program that you can just start using (although it does work), its more to help you see how you can do things. As I said though, there is probably a better way of doing things, its just my own example
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by chris128; Aug 12th, 2009 at 05:03 PM.

Lively Member

thanks chris , one more thing im trying to open this program using another vb program as in have a command button in another vb app open up the pinging application but , from what i gather shell is the way to go

ive tried the following:

Code:
    Private Sub Ping_Click()
    Shell "C:\Documents and Settings\mhorgan\Desktop\example ping\ExamplePingProgram\ExamplePingProgram"
    End Sub

but no luck, is it maybe the space in between the documents_and_settings in the directory ? or am i way off here ? or aproblem with a missing file extension ?
    Last edited by markhorgan1; Aug 14th, 2009 at 08:38 AM.

No Shell is not the way to go really, Process.Start is the way to go.

vb Code:
    1. Process.Start("C:\Folder Path Here\ExamplePingProgram.exe")

Lively Member

just one final thing ,im tryin to add a progress bar and was wondering what to set max and value to , and also where to place this code

ProgressBar1.Minimum = 0
    ProgressBar1.Maximum = ?
    ProgressBar1.Value = ?

heres code:
    Code:

Public Class Form1

''' <summary>
        ''' </summary>
            Private _SwitchID As Integer
            Private _SwitchName As String

Get
                    Return _IPAddress
                End Get
                    _IPAddress = value
                End Set
            End Property
            Public Property SwitchName() As String
                Get
                    Return _SwitchName
                End Get
                    _SwitchName = value
                End Set
            End Property

Public Property SwitchID() As Integer
                Get
                    Return _SwitchID
                End Get
                    _SwitchID = value
                End Set
            End Property

Get
                    Return _Result
                End Get
                    _Result = value
                End Set
            End Property

End Class

Private ConnString As New OleDbConnectionStringBuilder("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\Documents and Settings\mhorgan\Desktop\Network Map.mdb;User Id=admin;Password=;")

Label1.Visible = True
            btnExit.Enabled = False
            btnMap.Enabled = False
            btnDB.Enabled = False

End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' </summary>

Dim SelectCommand As New OleDbCommand("SELECT * FROM tblSwitch", AccessConnection)

AccessConnection.Open()

Do While Reader.Read
                With CurrentSwitch
                    .SwitchID = Reader("SwitchID")
                    .SwitchName = Reader("SwitchName")
                End With

AccessConnection.Close()

Next

End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' </summary>
                Switch.Result = True

Else
                Switch.Result = False

End If

UpdateDatabase(Switch)
            Counter += 1

End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' </summary>
            If sw.Result = True Then
                logbox.SelectionColor = Color.DarkBlue
            ElseIf sw.Result = False Then

logbox.SelectionColor = Color.Red

End If

logbox.AppendText(sw.SwitchID & "--" & sw.SwitchName & " -- " & sw.IPAddress & " -- ping complete -- " & sw.Result & vbNewLine) 'update our log textbox

logbox.AppendText(vbNewLine & vbNewLine & "Finished all tests" & vbNewLine)
                btnExit.Enabled = True
                btnMap.Enabled = True
                btnDB.Enabled = True
            End If
        End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' </summary>

Dim UpdateCommand As New OleDbCommand("UPDATE tblSwitch SET Result=@Result, LastTested=@CurrentTime WHERE SwitchID=@SwitchID", AccessConnection)
                .Add("@SwitchID", OleDbType.Integer).Value = sw.SwitchID

End With
            AccessConnection.Open()

AccessConnection.Close()

End Sub

End ' closes application
        End Sub

Private Sub btnMap_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnMap.Click
            Process.Start("C:\Documents and Settings\mhorgan\Desktop\NewEffort.vsd")  ' opens Network Map
        End Sub

Private Sub btnDB_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnDB.Click
            Process.Start("C:\Documents and Settings\mhorgan\Desktop\Network Map.mdb") 'opens AccessDB
        End Sub
    End Class