Thread: [Serious]Best method to teach Math to a 6 year old

Arrow [Serious]Best method to teach Math to a 6 year old

Is there a hidden trick of effectively teaching addition to a kid? I have been mentoring my son in addition and what I am doing is, in adding two single digit nos. (eg. 8 + 9) he will memorize 9 then raise 8 fingers in his hand and count starting from 10 (next no. after 9), closing each finger after it has been counted until all is closed. This seem to be effective but there could be other tricks, like just adding a value to the higher no. (9, in this case 1 is to be added) and subtracting the value from the other no. (8) which will make it 7, and 17 could be easily derived from 10 and 7, will that be more effective over my previous method? Is there any other method of teaching addition?

I am looking also for an easy method to teach subtraction but I have not come up with an idea yet.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Re: [Serious]Best method to teach Math to a 6 year old

demonstrate visually. make it interesting for him, all kids are intelligent...., you might use beads or marbles to show mathematical techniques...

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

When doing mental I use all sorts of little tricks like you described (eg if I'm multiplying 7 by 9 I actually multiply 7 by 10 then take 7 away - that sort of thing). I imagine most people have little tricks like that but I'm not sure they're something you can actually teach, they're the sort of think people make up for themselves.

When you're talking about teaching maths to a child I think probably the best thing you can do is help them to visualise the problem. Holding up fingers is one way of doing that. Using beads or something similar is possibly a bit better (because it get's them away from thinking in tens). Children tend to understand things they can see better than abstract concepts.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

[Not so serious]
    People learn by association, so if he likes sweets:

"If I have 15 sweets and eat 6 of them, how many are left for you? A: None, get your own you greedy bugger"

Or, if the kid likes to play GTA:

"If there are 30 prostitutes in the park, and you have 1 minute 30 seconds on a moped, how many prostitutes can you gun down?"

I fear my kid is going to be scared for life :O

[Serious ]

But on a serious note, associate the learning with something that he enjoys, that will increase his speed of learning.

Hyperactive Member Arrow_Raider's Avatar

This helped me out a lot when I was younger when I was learning multiplication:

9*2 = 18, (1 + 8 = 9)
    9*3 = 27, (2 + 7 = 9)
    9*4 = 36, (3 + 6 = 9)
    9*5 = 45, (4 + 5 = 9)
    9*6 = 54, (5 + 4 = 9)
    9*7 = 63, (6 + 3 = 9)
    9*8 = 72, (7 + 2 = 9)
    9*9 = 81, (8 + 1 = 9)
    9*10 = 90, (9 + 0 = 9)

The digits when added equal 9.
    My monkey wearing the fedora points and laughs at you.

Hyperactive Member capsulecorpjx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dee-u View Post
    Is there a hidden trick of effectively teaching addition to a kid? I have been mentoring my son in addition and what I am doing is, in adding two single digit nos. (eg. 8 + 9) he will memorize 9 then raise 8 fingers in his hand and count starting from 10 (next no. after 9), closing each finger after it has been counted until all is closed. This seem to be effective but there could be other tricks, like just adding a value to the higher no. (9, in this case 1 is to be added) and subtracting the value from the other no. (8) which will make it 7, and 17 could be easily derived from 10 and 7, will that be more effective over my previous method? Is there any other method of teaching addition?

I am looking also for an easy method to teach subtraction but I have not come up with an idea yet.
    When I was 7, when I was hanging out with my family's upstairs neighbor (he was an adult), he found out I didn't know the multiplication table.

So he forced me to memorize and recite it, and wouldn't let me leave until I did.
    "I like to run on treadmills, because at least I know I'm getting nowhere."
    - Me

I wonder how many charact

For every number wrong, they get 10 spanks.

So if they say 8-2=5, they get 10 spanks, if they say 3 they get 30 spanks.

Please be advised there has been no scientific study conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of the above method, and no guarantee is specified or implied by the above statement. May be illegal in certain States or municipalities. Certain adverse side effects have been reported in limited cases; these side affects are generally mild and normally appear decades later. Use at your own risk. Not to be used with children that are hard of hearing or visually impaired.

Also not recommended for children that are unusually large for their age and happen to be bigger than you.
    Make as many mistakes as you can as quickly as you can. We want to make sure that we make a great enough number of mistakes in a given amount of time so that we can be successful.

"Persistence is the magic of success." Paramahansa Yogananda

I remember a book called Math Magic that I read quite a few years ago that had various tricks for doing mental math in your head.

I found a place on the web that sells it.
    Math Magic by Scott Flansburg

Perhaps the book that's advertised just below it is better. It got 5 stars from 27 reviewers and Math Magic didn't do as well.
    Last edited by EntityX; Aug 6th, 2009 at 10:06 PM.
    Make as many mistakes as you can as quickly as you can. We want to make sure that we make a great enough number of mistakes in a given amount of time so that we can be successful.

"Persistence is the magic of success." Paramahansa Yogananda

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow_Raider View Post
    This helped me out a lot when I was younger when I was learning multiplication:

9*2 = 18, (1 + 8 = 9)
    9*3 = 27, (2 + 7 = 9)
    9*4 = 36, (3 + 6 = 9)
    9*5 = 45, (4 + 5 = 9)
    9*6 = 54, (5 + 4 = 9)
    9*7 = 63, (6 + 3 = 9)
    9*8 = 72, (7 + 2 = 9)
    9*9 = 81, (8 + 1 = 9)
    9*10 = 90, (9 + 0 = 9)

The digits when added equal 9.
    The nine times tables are the only tables when you add the digits you get te table value. I don't think that would method would work for the other times tables.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

At 7 years old, I learned the multiplication table by memorizing it... because the teacher forced us to.

However, the easiest way to learn is visual method.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    The nine times tables are the only tables when you add the digits you get te table value. I don't think that would method would work for the other times tables.
    But I do not see how that makes somebody learn the nine times table..