Thread: Run EXE at Startup

Run EXE at Startup

Hey,

This is my first post at vbforums, hopefully someone can help! I have a program that I have created and generated the .exe. I want this exe to run when the computer starts. I have seen several other threads with this same problem being addressed but all the answers are "put the exe in startup" or "edit the registry and add the exe as a string in \Run" and on and on. I do not want this exe to run when someone logs into the computer, I want the exe to run when the computer is booted, or when windows displays that loading screen, or shortly after. The systems I run at work run novell and the user needs to log in. So if this exe could run before that user logs in would be what I am looking for. Is this possible to do?

Re: Run EXE at Startup

Hi, welcome to the forums

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know that's impossible, because when you run the application the VB6 runtime is loaded.
    And I think that won't work.

I'll do some research on it, as you also got me interested in this
    Delete it. They just clutter threads anyway.

Oh by the way,
    Just wondering... What does your app need to do before the logon?

PowerPoster

You can turn your exe into a service and that should accomplish what you want to do. There are various tools available to do this. Just do a Google search.

I need this exe to notify my team when a windows server reboots. We have several servers running both linux and windows. The linux servers have this automatic email set up, so I wanted to do that same with the windows one. I will try setting up that service and see if that works. I will let you all know! Thanks for the quick replies!

Let me be a little more clear here... we have several servers... some are running windows, some are running linux, not both! Sorry!

HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run is where it goes... that runs when windows starts up. the same key under the HKU hive runs when the user logs in.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

That would work if I wanted my exe to run when the user signs in, but I want it to run before anyone signs in.

Lively Member

I believe there is a way to do it. Also try to edit your Autoexec.bat file manually and insert the EXE file to run at start-up. I may be wrong, but I will try it to see if it works with my EXE. Then I will send a message back.

I agree with MarkT. Make the program into a Windows Service.

I tried creating the service and it would not fire when I rebooted. If I tried to start the service manually it would throw an error saying the program did not start in a timely fashion, but it still worked. When I rebooted to test it gave an error saying a windows service could not be started and the program never fired. I also tried editing the autoexec.bat, but that to failed to fire on reboot. Am I missing something important here?!

I think I've found something.
    Stay tuned

Oh the suspense!

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run is where it goes... that runs when windows starts up. the same key under the HKU hive runs when the user logs in.

-tg

That only works when someone logs into the workstation. Not quite what I am looking to accomplish. I want the executable to fire before logon.

Got it! After many hours spent googleing and testing I finally got it!

Here is what worked:
    Start > Run gpedit.msc
    In the window that pops up go to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings
    Then click on "Scripts" and open "Startup". Click "Add", Browse to where the executable is, click on it, and hit open then click ok.

This script runs before a user has to login. Such a simple solution. Thank you all for your help and advice! I am going to go pluck out my grey hairs now...

Addicted Member

hi Travoiz, make that exe file that you want to run as a service.. check out this link from MS site on how to do it..
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251192
    or try this one
    http://www.sw4me.com/wiki/Winserv

pls. let us know if it helps
    The taller the bamboo grows the lower it bends...