Thread: publishing problem

Addicted Member

publishing problem

Hi All.
    When I publish any project first time, every thing is fine. But when I try to republish project after it was updated I'm gotting a message:
    "Cannot publish because a project failed to build. Unable to remove directory
    bin\Release\app.publish
    The process cannot access the file ProjectName.exe.manifest because it is being used by another process."
    I copy project folder, past with new name, and publish. After that I getting publish success. That project nobody use accept me. The project located on network. I have all right like network administrator. How to fix that problem?
    Thanks.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

Re: publishing problem

I would download a program called Process Explorer from sysinternals (now owned by Microsoft).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx

This program is like taskmanager on steriods.

Once it is running, go to find -> find handle or dll

then in the box there, type in the name of the file "ProjectName.exe.manifest" there, and click search. You should get a list of any processes using the given file at that moment.

If you do not see anything, then there is a chance someone else is accessing it, or more likely, some process running on the actual server that this network share exists on is accessing it for some reason.

Addicted Member

Thanks for replay.
    The Process Explorer that you suggest do need to install on a server or on my machine?
    No one hasn't chance is accessing project on the actual server. If you get other idea I will appreciate.
    Thanks.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

You don't even actually need to install it, it is just a single exe written in C++, so you just need to download it and run it.

If you think the file is being locked by a process on your machine, run it from your machine. If you think the file is being locked by a process on the server, then you would need to log into the actual server and run it there.