dcsimg

Thread: Excel GUI for SQL Server 2008?

Excel GUI for SQL Server 2008?

I've googled all over the net but can't find a way to make an Excel GUI for SQL Server 2008 express.

I know you can use wizards to import excel data. I want something more automated.

I know you can "connect" to odbc datasources but this is only half the solution.

I know you can import from excel to SQL Server but again - this is through wizards and not seamless.

I thought there would be dozens of examples where VB forms in Excel download recordsets, navigate through them with forms and then upload changes either record by record or as a batch.

I don't have MS Access so I'm kinda stuck with making some sort of read/write GUI with Excel and Excel VBA.

Is this totally unheard of??
    Rate my response if I helped

Go Hard Or Go Home

Re: Excel GUI for SQL Server 2008?

It is definitely possible, using the same concepts as you would with a VB6 program - all that really changes is the controls you use (to simplify installation issues, it is best to only use built-in controls).

For the database interaction side of things, I would recommend using ADO, as shown in the "Classic VB: ADO" section of our Database Development FAQs/Tutorials