Thread: Minimize form to system tray ("animated")

Fanatic Member

Wink Minimize form to system tray ("animated")

Hey, so a while ago I was looking for a way to minimize to the system tray and I found this post by Deepak Sakpal, since it hasn't been posted here, I thought it might come in handy to someone .

I've attached an example... It's in VS 2008.

Enjoy
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "In our profession, precision and perfection are not a dispensable luxury, but a simple necessity."
    Niklaus E. Wirth

Rate any post that helped you, it's a good way of saying thanks
    Please specify your Visual Studio Version!

Why rating is useful

My Code Bank Submissions: How to determine Windows Version| Working With Mouse Events | Blocking Input Using API | Get host's IP | Minimize to system tray "animated" | Colored ListBox (custom fonts, colors, highlight) Updated -New Class! | [VS 2008] Strong encryption and hashing class - Updated! 31/August/2009 | Create a shortcut using IWshRuntimeLibrary

Addicted Member

Re: Minimize form to system tray ("animated")

Works like a dream! Thanks, tassa, for keeping this available!

Thanks very much tassa. This worked like a charm !!!

Whoa, I wanted this stuff so hard since long time ago! Thanks for sharing!

Something fishy about this post. the link to the zip file is not what it says it is...

It's also 7 years old... so there's no telling what has happened to it in the intervening years.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Understood, but can't dead-end threads be removed? It just adds to a poor signal-to-noise ratio on the site.

It's been a topic of discussion for some time... thing is, how do you know when a thread is done? And, no, they're reluctant to delete threads, even old ones, because occasionally an old thread does hold something useful. Usually what ends up happening, is an old thread gets revived, the mods notice, lets the poster know, split it off, and then close the old thread... but it typically has to be years old to have that happen. It's been talked about auto closing threads... but at what point do you set the threashold? 6 months? 1 year? 5 years? it's very arbitrary.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Good points. A dead-end thread that is years old might suddenly see a surge of activity and some one may just provide a useful answer. I think that would be extremely rare though. Personally I would be brutal. Dead-end threads should be deleted after just a few months at the longest. Threads where a user posts a question - and then comes back and says "nevermind - I found the answer" -but does not post the answer... (these are the worst). The OP should be sent a cordial, but firm note to either post the full answer or the thread will be deleted in 30 days notice.
    In the end I think dead-ends hurt this web site. It's a GREAT site with good participation, but when people find themselves in digital box-canyons they will look elsewhere.
    I'm going to bet I've said nothing new though...

Nope... nothing new there

And I agree the "Nevermind I found the answer" are bad... believe me they are NOT the worst... the worst is where the OP comes back, edits their post, deletes EVERYTHING and simply replaces it with "solved it" ... that makes a lot of people livid, including myself... usually because it takes the rest of the thread out of context. Meanwhile, we've got some threads that are still active, even after several months and in some rare cases, years. But they are very few. As for the reason to not delete threads despite being long in the tooth ... this place wouldn't be the vast resource it is if old threads were arbitrarily deleted a lot of that info would be lost and I'm not going to post the same tutorials and advice every six months or so.

That said, we can't also control if a poster comes along and cleans out their attachments from their account... I think that's what happened in this case. Sometime in the last three years, the OP may have deleted it.

That said, I assume you found your way into this thread because this is what you were looking for... did you look at the thread that was linked to in the first post - not the zip attachment, but the other link. Looks like post #8 was the genesis for this thread.

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...=1#post3404615

-tg

This is my animated notifyIcon form...

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...otifyIcon-form