Thread: [RESOLVED] Quick Access Toolbar buttons disappear

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Quick Access Toolbar buttons disappear

Need help. I've customized the QAT before without trouble. Now, for some reason, when I save this particular workbook and reopen it, all of my added customized buttons are gone. The macros which operate the buttons are embedded in the workbook and I can execute them off the View/Macros menu. The buttons stay if I assign them to all documents but I only want the buttons to appear for this certain workbook.

If I add a standard command button or a button assigned to a built-in Excel macro, the added buttons remain, but if I add a button assigned to one of my macros, all of the added QAT buttons disappear when I reopen the workbook.

It's as if the VBA code is not present but I know it is and I can execute it from the View/Macro/Run menu.

My other workbooks work fine. Please help. Thanks.
    Last edited by doasidont; Jul 1st, 2009 at 10:09 AM.

Hyperactive Member

Re: Quick Access Table buttons disappear

More info. If I open a workbook that has working added QAT buttons, remove a button, close the workbook, add the button back (my macro), close the workbook and reopen, all the added buttons disappear.

Hyperactive Member

Isn't there supposed to be an Excel.qat file somewhere? I can't find it. Running Excel 2007 on XP.

Hyperactive Member

I've reinstalled Office 2007 with SP2 and still cannot add a command button from the Macros list on the 'Choose Commands From' dialog box on the 'Customize the Quick Access Toolbar' screen. I am trying to add buttons (from the macros list) not to 'For All Documents (Default)' but only to the active workbook. I've also tried to add buttons to old workbooks which already had a number of added buttons. When I reopen these workbooks, all of the Macro command buttons disappear. There has to be some setting that has changed.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hyperactive Member

More info. Using a simple new workbook (e.g. Book1.xlsm), I record a macro, customize the Quick Access Toolbar, add the macro to 'Book1.xlsm' only, and save and close. I reopen Book1.xlsm and the button is there. Good. I record another macro, customize the QAT, and add the second macro to 'Book1.xlsm' only and save and close. I reopen Book1.xlsm and neither the first added button or the second added button are there. Bad!

For some reason, I cannot add more than one macro-based button to the QAT for the active workbook only.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Hyperactive Member

Re: Quick Access Toolbar buttons disappear

More info.

There may be something wrong with the macro linkages to the workbook. When I create a new workbook and record a few macros on a remote server over a network, and customize the Quick Access Toolbar with those macros, there is no problem; i.e., I can successfully add macro buttons to the QAT and they all work on the remote server. But, when I copy that workbook over the network to my desktop, launch Excel 2007, open that workbook and try to execute a QAT Macro1 button, I get an error message that says:
    "Cannot run the macro '\\fname\desktops\username\Book1.xlsm!Macro1'. The macro may not be available in this workbook or all macros have been disabled." (fname\desktops is the location on the server from which I copied the workbook over the network to my desktop).
    I know the macros are in this workbook because I can see and execute them, and macro security is set to Enable all macros.

Hyperactive Member

More info:

I set 'Show Add-in User Interface Errors' in the Advanced tab of Excel Options and get this error when I open a workbook with personal macro buttons added to the QAT:
    Error loading in Custom UI XML:
    Line: 1
    Column: 411
    Error code: 0x80004005
    A name contained an invalid character.
    Error parsing 'doc:C:_Documents_and_Settings_myusername_Desktop_Book6.xlsm_Macro1_1' as Qname datatype.
    The attribute 'idQ' with value 'doc:C:_Documents_and_Settings_myusername_desktop_Book6.xlsm_Macro1_1' failed to parse.

I deleted the macros and manually keyed some simple command (msgbox 1) into a new macro and still got this error message.

I set 'Show Add-In User Interface Errors' on the remote server (where I do not have this problem) and I do not get this error message when loading workbooks with customized QAT.

Hyperactive Member

I am closing this thread because I have opened two others related to this problem.
    Last edited by doasidont; Jul 2nd, 2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Closing thread