Thread: {SERIOUS} What was your reaction...

{SERIOUS} What was your reaction...

when you first held a large sum of money?

Mine was utter fear that I was shaking visibly and my heart beat went really fast. Instant stress.

you?

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

Re: {SERIOUS} What was your reaction...

I yelled "Stay on the floor, heads down!" and knocked the old lady out, then ran out and jumped into a getaway car.

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

This thread is completely without context. "Large sum of money" is subjective and will very wildly from person to person.

A rice-obsessed person may think that enough money for 10 bags of rice is a lot, whereas Donald Trump may not.

I have £11.67 on me right now and I'm not having any great feelings of anxiety (other than those induced by the craving for strong liquor).
    I don't live here any more.

Say there is normal amount of money and then there's outrageous sum of money...

For instance when i was eight I'm used to be given Php2, and then suddenly i got the responsibility to hold on to Php 250... which was a lot in my then very young mind.

So anything similar to that???

Quote Originally Posted by wossname View Post
    I have £11.67 on me right now and I'm not having any great feelings of anxiety (other than those induced by the craving for strong liquor).
    -1- If I would have that much money on me, I would mark that day thick read on my calender, because my wife and kids wouldn't have taken the most of it in the morning.

-2- If I would have 11.67 pounds on me right now, that would look real odd, because that would be nearly 10% more then my normal weight.
    You're welcome to rate this post!
    If your problem is solved, please use the Mark thread as resolved button

Wait, I'm too old to hurry!

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oceanebelle View Post
    Say there is normal amount of money and then there's outrageous sum of money...

For instance when i was eight I'm used to be given Php2, and then suddenly i got the responsibility to hold on to Php 250... which was a lot in my then very young mind.

So anything similar to that???
    I've held a few grand before now but it's not as if I was waving it around and yelling "hey look at all this unmarked cash in £20 notes!". Having said that I am 6 foot tall and the wrong side of 200lbs, so I guess the rest of the Church congregation would have thought twice about robbing me.
    I don't live here any more.

I have held roughly £40k, but to be fair I was cashing up the tills at Christmas with my manager, usually take a load of cash at that point in time any ways.

Didn't feel strange holding it, mainly because I knew it could never be mine.

I have however handled a couple of grand of my own cash when I went to buy a new motorbike years ago. I put it in my rucksack and gripped hold of the one strap sooooo hard, I must have looked like a middle eastern immigrant about to go rob cash converters.

Holla!

Most I've ever held was about $2,500USD in Traveller's Cheques just before a major trip.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I have carried large amounts of cash on person on a few occasions. Once was, when I sold my motorbike for Rs 24000 /- To give you an idea, at that time, my monthly salary was close to Rs 9000/-. I had to carry that cash home and I traveled by public transport in Mumbai. I was anxious till the time I had deposited the cash in my bank account.

I don't recall any changes in my heart beat rate.

Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Maybe I'm the only one that fears too much cold cash. :|

BTW, the first "big" amount of money i was given the task to look out for was stolen from me a few days later and got a nasty lashing from my mom for an hour because she had to replace the money I lost.

I remember one instance where I asked my father to come with me to buy something really expensive just so he'll hold on to the money while we walk about the city known for lots of snatchers. I forgot what we bought but I remember he put the money envelope in his back pocket to my chagrin.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Love_My_Vans View Post
    I have held roughly £40k, but to be fair I was cashing up the tills at Christmas with my manager, usually take a load of cash at that point in time any ways.

Didn't feel strange holding it, mainly because I knew it could never be mine.
    It's weird, I knew about this fear of mine from before so I used to experiment whenever I get assigned to look after my mom's store. At the end of the day would be money counting and closing. Everytime I see a Php1000 (not much I know but still), I'd hold it for a few minutes and I would feel a slight change in my heartbeat.

define 'large sum of money'

I've held $10k in cash before, but I'm most nervous when I have less than $20.00 on hand cause I always wonder if something will happen and I need more than that to tow my car or something
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

I've never had a sum of money that I considered large. Of course, that all depends on your definition of large. It's all been electronic for me. Seeing those digits on the screen just doesn't cause me much of a reaction.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by opus View Post
    -1- If I would have that much money on me, I would mark that day thick read on my calender, because my wife and kids wouldn't have taken the most of it in the morning.
    Both of my kids have moved out of the house and into places of their own so I only get hit by them every now and again.

Never the less, I still don't have any more money now than I ever had, and I've never, in my life, actually held a large amount of money.

When I was single I never had any money, much less a lot.

After I got married....well...I really don't need to finish that sentence now do I?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    After I got married....well...I really don't need to finish that sentence now do I?

No mate - it's a life sentence, and life means life.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

the sad thing is (at least in the US or parts of the US) if you are found with a large sum of money (cash), they consider you are likely doing something illegal and they can detain you. They can actually consider having "real" money in your possession as reasonable cause you are doing something shady. Yet if you had 20 credit cards with 100K credit limits, there is no issue there.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanebelle View Post
    Maybe I'm the only one that fears too much cold cash. :|

Do you wear any jewelery, at all? It has a higher chance of attracting thieves, than cash.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'

We traved from NYC to NH one time with about $20K in jewlary with us (from a will reading we went to). I was extreamly nervious traveling with that.
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

Quote Originally Posted by GaryMazzone View Post
    We traved from NYC to NH one time with about $20K in jewlary with us (from a will reading we went to). I was extreamly nervious traveling with that.
    Now that I am thinking about it, I believe jewelery would worry me more, rather than carrying large amounts of cash.

think about it though... who are you worried about getting mugged by? some crank/crack/methhead right? They aren't going to waste their time with jewlery... they'd have to fence it.. which means a greater chance of getting caught, and it significantly gets into the way of their next fix - which is all most tweakers usually carwe about.) I'm not saying put everything in to jewelery and wear it, I'm simply stating that the ones more likely to be interested in high-end, valuable jewelry are going to be the pro thieves, and odds are they aren't mugging people in the park.... their robbing you when you're not at home.

But that's jsut the way I see it.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    think about it though... who are you worried about getting mugged by? some crank/crack/methhead right? They aren't going to waste their time with jewlery... they'd have to fence it.. which means a greater chance of getting caught, and it significantly gets into the way of their next fix - which is all most tweakers usually carwe about.) I'm not saying put everything in to jewelery and wear it, I'm simply stating that the ones more likely to be interested in high-end, valuable jewelry are going to be the pro thieves, and odds are they aren't mugging people in the park.... their robbing you when you're not at home.

But that's jsut the way I see it.

-tg
    It depends on, where I am traveling. If I am in Mumbai, I would be more concerned with pick-pockets on the public transportation, than some crank crack/ methhead. The pick-pockets don't just go after wallets. It is easier to remove a gold chain around the neck, than to pick a person's wallet. There's also an urban legend about somebody losing an entire finger because it had a ring with a big diamond.

If I am in Philadelphia, you're probably right.

That's just the way I see it.

Good point...
    I grew up in the Greater LA area....

-tg

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Good point...
    I grew up in the Greater LA area....

-tg
    Weekends at Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by abhijit View Post
    Weekends at Disneyland?
    only if you want to pay $60-$80 per person... Disneyland is getting expensive...

I live about 10 minutes from disneyland and i havent been there in about 1 year (and it was only because i had a connection to get in for free)

Weekends at Disneyland?
    When you live there, you don't go as often as people think you would... But I did work there for a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post
    only if you want to pay $60-$80 per person... Disneyland is getting expensive...

I live about 10 minutes from disneyland and i havent been there in about 1 year (and it was only because i had a connection to get in for free)
    You know they are running that birthday special thing now, where you can get in for free on your birthday.... depending on when that falls, it's not a bad deal.

-tg

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

you get in free but everyone else pays right? Sounds like a deal.... if you like going to disneyland alone

Do you wear any jewelery, at all? It has a higher chance of attracting thieves, than cash.

Not one accessory, not even a watch, not even a leather handbag (which is typical for most girls).

Back in the Philippines people get killed or get attacked by snatchers for possession of any type of glittering jewelry when passing through a very shady area in jeepneys.

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    define 'large sum of money'

I've held $10k in cash before, but I'm most nervous when I have less than $20.00 on hand cause I always wonder if something will happen and I need more than that to tow my car or something

That would be your own definition of 'large sum of money'. If you're one of those lucky people quite comfortable with holding a sizable sum then good for you!

I remember a news article about a socialite who dropped his wallet in a taxi with £1500 cash in it...

I couldn't even carry fifteen hundred pounds.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Come next month my accounts will hit an all time high of around £6,000.

The most cash i've ever held onto was around £250, and my heart rate stayed the same. I wasn't worried about losing it either... A bit care-free really.
    Zeegnahtuer?

i will be extremely happy the day all of my bills are paid off. That day may never come. I also am married.

debts are fine by me as long as I know I can pay it, still, they cause me restless nights. :|

Frenzied Member

The most Ive ever held?

Personal: 20k in 4 envelopes of 5k.
    Business related: about 40k but I didn't view this as money just another long winded trip to the bank for my employer at Christmas.