Let's play chess - clear across the planet (maybe the universe if the ET's are interested). This is a 3D internet Chess Game - 2 Players connect and play a game of chess with a 3D board created entirely in VB - no DirectX, No OCX (for the 3D) , Just math.
All Chess Pieces were modeled in Google Sketchup and exported to the X format using this plugin:
There's actual screenshots below.
- Version 1.0 June 11th 2009 - Original Post
- Version 1.2.7 July 3rd 2009 -Save Games added.
- Parsing of the X files into sprites.
- Rendering of Polygons based Sprites.
- Flat shaded modeling of Faces from a light source.
- Hidden Face Elimination.
- Peer to Peer internet handshaking using UDP w/ retries
- Chatting Code
- Automatic TextBox Scrolling
- Saving and Loading games. In sych with opponent.
- Creating Psuedo- Forms out of pictureboxes.
Keys:In the menu below I was connecting within my houses LAN, in order to discover your Internet facing IP just Google my IP you'll find many sites that will tell you - It's not necessary for both players to input both IP's only the player connecting.
- M - Chess Menu appears Use it to connect to the other player and make you moves
- UP Arrow - Show Black's POV
- Down Arrow - shows White's POV
- Left Arrow Rotates Board Clockwise
- Right Arrow Rotates Board Counter Clockwise
- Right+Down - shows Black's Corner View
- Left + Down Show's Whites Corner View
- Right + Left - Shows Side View as seen Below
- Pull Down Menu For Moving
- Chat Screen for Texting Opponent
- IP & Port Boxes for setting up you Game - IP's are stored in registry.
- Connect and Board Reset Buttons
Please tell me how it works for you.
Make sure you grab all the files and unzip them in the project directory. Remember it's like a telephone you need 2 players on 2 computer to play. (Those of you Net savvy dudes will know how to do a 1 computer loopback.)