Thread: [2008] How do I get my .exe?

Addicted Member

[2008] How do I get my .exe?

I did Publish and Build and went to documents, visual studios 2008 file, projects but then when I get in there nothing is there and I've several people on youtube do it that way and it works fine for them, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, Is there another way?

Addicted Member Spirited Machine's Avatar

Re: [2008] How do I get my .exe?

My Documents/Visual Studio 2008/Projects/MyProject/bin/release/

Addicted Member

yeah, that's what I tried to use and it doesn't work.

it says file isnt found, once I go to projects, nothing shows up.

Have you actually saved your project? If I remember correctly, the default behaviour for VB Express is to not save a project until you explicitly tell it to. This is to allow you to create a project and have it stored in a temporary location so that you can close VB and discard the project without it being permanently saved somewhere. Try selecting Save All from the main menu or tool bar and see if it prompts you for a location. If it does then it means that your project was previously only stored in a temporary location.

Addicted Member

Yes, I've done that, I actually watched a tutorial off youtube and did exactly what he did.
    save the project, (ive seen someone do build and someone do publish) and ive tried both
    and then go to that folder in my documents and such and there stuff is there, when I go there nothing is in the projects folder.

Lively Member

This might seem like a dumb question but did you actually save the file to My Documents/Visual Studio 2008/Projects/MyProject/?

I usually save my projects elsewhere and I navigate to that.

Addicted Member Spirited Machine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tylerpestell View Post
    This might seem like a dumb question but did you actually save the file to My Documents/Visual Studio 2008/Projects/MyProject/?

I usually save my projects elsewhere and I navigate to that.
    Apparently not.

Fiend, use windows search to scan the harddrive for your project. If it doesnt show up, looks like you have to start over. Looks like the youtube tutorial forgot to tell you the most important thing:

Jesus and Satan have an argument as to who is the better programmer. This goes on for a few hours until they come to an agreement to hold a contest with God as the judge. They set themselves before their computers and begin. They type furiously, lines of code streaming up the screen, for several hours straight.

Seconds before the end of the competition, a bolt of lightning strikes, taking out the electricity. Moments later, the power is restored, and God announces that the contest is over. He asks Satan to show his work. Visibly upset, Satan cries and says, “I have nothing. I lost it all when the power went out.”

“Very well,” says God, “let us see if Jesus has fared any better.”

Jesus presses a key, and the screen comes to life in vivid display, the voices of an angelic choir pour forth from the speakers.

Satan is astonished. He stutters, “B-b-but how?! I lost everything, yet Jesus’ program is intact! How did he do it?”

God chuckles, “Everybody knows… Jesus saves.”

Addicted Member

Why wouldn't I save to that folder then go there to look for a project? LOL
    I'm not dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by VBFiEND View Post
    Why wouldn't I save to that folder then go there to look for a project? LOL
    I'm not dumb.
    Run VB.Net as an admin and try again. Could be not enough write permissions on the folder for VB.Net
    Zeegnahtuer?

I'd still search. If the project was saved, but does not appear in the project folder, then it was saved somewhere else, unless there is some reason why you are not allowed to see files in the project folder (which makes little sense).
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Another question: the OP mentioned both 'publish' and 'build'. Build should be enough to create the Bin/debug and the Bin/release folders. Publishing is another beast altogether.

You could look in the Output Window - when you build, it show a log of exactly what it did, and what files were created: I'm not too familiar with 2008 (I don't have it on this computer), but I'm sure it's available (Debug->Windows->Output menu?).
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Addicted Member

I found the folder doing a search but when I go to the release I see the application + the program, But my icon isn't showing on it.

Icons can be a pain, in my opinion. Getting them to show up is a matter of setting them in the right places, and I always seem to forget one or another of them.

Did you set the icon in the Project Properties page?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Addicted Member

yes I did.